Saturday 1 October 2016

ARISE, O COMPATRIOTS.....

                              


Happy 56th Independence Day, my fellow Nigerians.

I woke this morning thinking to myself 'Ola you gotta blog about your homeland to mark October 1st' so I dragged myself up from bed seeking some inspiration but unfortunately drew a blank! I really did try, propping myself up and gazing at an image of our National flag but sorry folk 'nuttin'.
I listened to our national anthem, still 'shi-shi'
I even visited our friend Wikipedia staring at an image of the Nigerian Coat of Arms.  
'I look' the 2 white horses supporting the shield. 'I Look' the Eagle, Phoenix, Guinea fowl or whatever on the top with the words 'Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress' embossed at the bottom and thought to myself 'WOW, who Nigerian Independence 'epp?'

This is familiar territory, last time I attempted such was in the run up to Nigeria's Presidential Elections back in March 2015 (remember our optimism back then? Possibly now a dull memory in the past?) which was the catalyst to my blog post Double Wahala For Dead Body, Yepa!  where I drew an analogy between the Naija political scene and Fela's track Confusion Break Bone. 

So once again I have done a detour and been inspired by the above LP Sleeve from Fela Anikulapo's 1975 Album entitled 'Expensive Shit'. At this time Nigeria had been an independent nation for 15 years and Nigerian police who have historically always gotten their priorities right <quick glance sideways> in their quest to maintain Law and Order they had grave concerns about an up and coming controversial musician who was challenging government and causing ripples with his lyrics. They consistently harassed Fela and on one occasion trumped charges against him for possession an illegal substance marijuana otherwise known as 'igbo' which they allegedly planted on him. Story has it that Fela swallowed the evidence and the police arrested him, placing him in custody while they waited for him to sh*t it out. They kept him in custody literally on 'Poop watch' when he eventually passed the 'fecal' sample (how many words to describe sh*t) it was sent to the lab for analysis and test came back negative! See all these shananigans and expenses they incurred on top of what? 
Fela later released this track in reference to the costs incurred in this 'crapgate' 

In my opinion the above summarises the current climate in my homeland, "nuff said!
So in the words of Nigeria's Murtala Mohammed Airport Andrew 'I'm checking out' 
If you don't know Andrew, sorry I can't help. Google is your friend! 

Have a good weekend. 


These disguise leaders na wa for dem, dem hold meeting everywhere dem reach America ~ Fela  (Beast Of No Nation)





11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is Nigeria's independence day and what exactly do we have to celebrate. Everyday I read my WhatsApp messages and it is about one drama or the other, nobody writes about any improvements in 9ja. Where exactly are we heading

Ajetheboy said...

I'm past commenting on Naija, I've discovered that its an exercise in futility. I would rather comment on Fela's album sleeve you drew inspiration from, I find it more interesting and it got me thinking. Is it that back then, ladies didn't have ample bosoms or was that Fela's preference?

Risi By Name said...

@Ajetheboy,

We the management at Risi By Name blog thank you for sharing your interest in Fela's album sleeve. At this point in time however we are unable shed further light on his cup size preferences. 😂

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

I agree pata pata, debating Nigeria is an exercise in futility, and it is also depressing!

@ajetheboy, the issue of ample bosoms (hitherto referred to as ANTERIOR ASSETS) is close to my heart!
First I respect your honesty. Some people will pretend that all they can see is the barbed wire!
I think Fela's preference was more youth than the size of the anterior assets.
The younger the lady, the slimmer they are and the smaller the size of the anterior assets.
I speak from experience.

Anonymous said...

Ha, @ajetheboy, what a relief that I'm not the only one who was more interested oops I mean drew inspiration :-) from the album cover. Whilst I appreciate that the management at Risi By Name blog are unable to shed further light on Fela's cup size preference, It was just amusing to remember that there was a time that some Nigerian women were happy to bare said anterior assets and nobody seemed to care. I like the album sleeve and p.s. I am female and before anyone starts to get any funny ideas, I'm not in any closet :-).

Anonymous said...

Risi by Name, me again, I imagine you wanted comments on the 56th Anniversary of Nigeria's independence - I really don't have any. To me home is where the heart is and my heart is somewhere else right now. The album sleeve however, now that is worthy of discussion!

bolaboy said...

Nigeria is a Cattle Republic and should not separate independence day.

Iya ibeji said...

Let us not hold our breathe but say rather poshly and humbly 'Nigeria will get better'
Meanwhile ...
Take a pew.
Chill.
Relax.
It's going to take a long while.

Unknown said...

I'm ashamed to say it, but Nigeria is one of those countries that would be far better off still colonized 😱 When Buhari came over here a few months ago spouting phrases like, "Show me the money" and agreeing with David Cameron when he said that "...Nigeria is fantastically corrupt......", I was ashamed to the core.

Ms Jackson said...


@Soji Sigbeku
I have long said we would have been better still colonized. The truth is bitter even when sugarcoated it is still bitter and still true, afterall a rose by any other name will still smell just as nice!
The sentiment of an independence that allows a few people to cause so many to suffer makes no sense to me.
My father told me stories about giving us fresh milk bought from the dairy farm! in Nigeria! I grew up with the relics of colony and my life was a far cry better that kids today!

With colony I get to stay in my own country, with my own people and with the good weather. Now I live "neo-colonialism" in a strange land, with strange people, eating strange food and with horrible weather to boot.
What is worse is that I have paid airfare for this priviledge and I am still a second class citizen!


Alatenumo said...

Happy belated Independence Day