Friday 21 January 2022

MADE IN LAGOS, NO STRESS 2

 


Now where did I stop?

Ok the part where we packed our ‘Ghana-must-go’ large matted woven bag heading towards Heathrow airport. Obviously by now you know my pre-departure test was negative. Waiting for the test results sent stress levels through the roof, coupled with the fact that they came through in the wee hours of the day of travel. Then the 3 hours spent trying to upload the results onto Nigeria’s user ‘unfriendly’ Permit To Travel portal and paying for a day 2 PCR test left me angry, exhausted but relieved. 


At Heathrow we met a distressed ‘uncle’ who had missed his flight to Lagos the previous night because he could not upload his PCR and vaccination status on to the portal so the airline would not let him board, we tried to assist him but had no joy either, so ended up leaving him there😒


We board and as I’m ‘adjusting’ myself on seat, the captain announces that the plane was ‘tear rubber’ as in a brand new plane making its maiden flight. After overcoming my initial fear that the airline are using us for ‘testing testing 1-2-3’ my reaction to this was to rush for the loo...me first😏

The cabin was relatively empty which I put down to last minute cancellations due to the Red List shenanigans and passengers testing positive within the 48 hour departure window. 


We land...air conditioners not working, escalators not working, auto-walk not working and as you approach immigration there are 2 queues. One for us the natives that you’d expect to be the faster moving one with a quick flash of our passports but far from it! The faster moving queue is the one for foreigners with visas or requesting ‘Visa on arrival’🧐

Two flights have arrived that morning and katakata bursts as hot frustrated passengers start shouting at airport officials, asking why this non-public facing part of airport is not fully air-conditioned. There are 2 powerful ‘hurricane’ fans blowing but guess what? They are both directed towards the airport officials at the counter🀦🏾‍♀️

ShollyBobo, Yomi & Moi @ ‘function’😜


My arrival in Lagos was emotional being my first since my dad passed and the trip was very different from what had been the norm. 

Yewande, Moi, Yemisi & Victor @ Ibru Gardens

Segun Agbede aka ‘The Pundit’ LagosTalks 91.3


Christmas in Lagos...hmmm

Home Grown Xmas Hamper ft. Cabin biscuits 


Lagos ‘get levels’ and the disparity between the ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’ never ceases to amaze me. Picture this, sitting in a cramped danfo (public transport) in heavy ‘go-slow’, hot, bothered, angry, dripping with sweat and wedged under the ‘aromatic’ armpit of the bus conductor 🀒 .You look up and see a ‘Small Girl With a big god’ (a term used for young ladies who cannot explain their source of wealth) πŸ‘€ driving her 4-wheel drive ‘jeep’ with a tiny dog on the passenger seat besides her. The inner side of window has built up condensation from the freezing coolness of the air con while the dog peeps from window overlooking the traffic and just stops short of shaking its head with pity at the cooped up passengers in vehicle besides him😩


Naija dogs have attitude, gone are the days when thoughts of them conjured an image of a scrawny looking ‘bingo’🐢 


Late one evening we receive a message from ‘the nephew’ Sayo he’s stopping over to say a quick hi with Cassie. We’re still wondering who Cassie is when he rolls up in all his swagger with a cute little furry friend on a lead! Cassie his dog struts her stuff around the house before finding a cool spot on tiled floor and sprawls herself out. I’m busy doing hostess with the mostest ‘alejo’ asking Sayo what will he drink and whether Cassie is thirsty as I wonder how she keeps cool with all that fur. He assures me she’s ok as dog opens one eye and looks at me with contempt! I spend the next hour or so trying to bond with this dog to no avail, but do grab her for a ‘foto’ op as you’ll see in picπŸ‘‡πŸΎ 

Cassie & Sayo


As we see Sayo off as he opens his car door and Cassie jumps in, she is now looking down at me, oh the irony! Sayo is rummaging through his boot which is packed with her gadgets and toys looking for something to keep her entertained on the ride homeπŸ™„

Cassie’s breed ‘Lhasa apso’ is described on one website as ‘A little wool dog from Tibet, not the nicest to strangers, but one of the most affectionate to its owner or people they know and trust’ It all makes sense nowπŸ₯Ί


Even grandma has 2 posh dogs Bibi and KoiKoi who gave birth to some puppies before Xmas, they too were the cute and presented another dog-themed photo op for meπŸ‘‡πŸΎ

Grandma’s Puppies🐢🐢

Now for some lazy writing as I’m tired and this blog was only ever going to be a 2-part. Nigeria was ‘Nigeria’ with all the recurring decimals😐 Unfortunately I can’t take you through every aspect of the trip. Though I had a lot of chill out time, I still got to see family, friends, attended old school alumni end of year event and other ‘functions’. For most ladies a trip to the motherland would include a visit to the hair salon and possibly a nail bar, I ticked both boxes and patronised grass root places as my way of giving back.

 

Aunty Risi, you wan do hair?

There was a lot of eating out mainly local delicacies.You name it..I ate it, I really understood the assignment and one day even ate a whole goat head aka isi ewu πŸ˜œ None of that ‘English’ food for me. I did however try KFC at the airport on the return journey and it was the most uneventful meal I had while out there...oh yeah, one day we drove past Nigeria’s first Burger King on our way to an abula joint!


The End.....hopefully the pics will do the talking. 

Thank God it’s Friday, enjoy the weekend and thanks for your custom😏


Life is short. Eat dessert first ~ Jacques Torres

πŸ’…πŸΎ

15 comments:

Iya Ibeji πŸ‘ΆπŸΎπŸ‘ΆπŸΎ said...


Times have really changed. The dogs i know are all bingo’s. And they are never happy probably cause they are always starving! They are always locked out side exposed to the sweltering sun. Bingo would bite anyone and was always h’angry! I remember the horror of seeing children trying to grab a ride on his back. In Nigeria in times past people treated dogs… like dogs. RSPCA would have had a field day. Thank God for awareness or change or improvements or love!

By the way Sayo the nephew’ looks like Tinie Tempah😎

Mother of the year. said...

Who is the young man? So fine, I love his locs he should add some grills…. I love the whole combination. So, when would you like to meet my daughter, she knows how to cook noodles!

MCM said...

Thats right bingo always had a knack for bitting and never believed in cuddling.
This one that a grandma has dogs, I better go get mine. I heard the dog has become mans best friend for the upward mobile.

So you sped past Burger king to go to Abula joint.��..

No where like home girl.

Yewande said...

Yay! I made it to the blog 😊

Scaly said...

You know I kept misreading the Sayo for Sayo (as in get pissed) ... don't ask me why?!!

Lovely piece!! I could picture and relate to every bit you recounted... Can't wait for the next episode!!

e2s said...

So modern naija dogs are now bearing oyinbo names?? I prefer bingo oo��
I think I might need to compile a list of suitable dog names, African edition.
Cassie ko..... jokes, not really.

I like grandma's dog names.

Risi By Name said...

@Scaly 12:19
πŸ˜‚ That’s the thing with Yoruba language, same spelling, different meaning & pronunciations.
I was also convinced that Sayo’s name would include an ‘H’ but stood corrected!

Anonymous said...

There is nowhere like home. I look forward to going back to my roots too, at some point. Covid permitting. One needs a bit of disorganisation in ones life, such as “go slow”, heat, ‘nepa’, no water, etc. It is too organised and efficient in this part of the world. I am glad you had a good time.

Tola Gbogboade said...

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in our Naija. I loved all you pictures and you were really descriptive.

TsolZie said...

Very descriptive narrative ..
Felt like l traveled with you but missed out on all the Ariya …
At least l had kilishi posted to me so l got a bit of the Naija vibe πŸ’ƒπŸΎπŸ’ƒπŸΎπŸ’ƒπŸΎπŸ’ƒπŸΎ
Tsolls

Seyi said...

Imaginary Danfo ride, well done

KILONSELE said...

No where like 9ja. Your root. Owambes is the life ooooo. The dogs..me still cant.het the hang on them shaaaa, but.nk more bingo.

DokWan said...

A bingo nearly ate me when I was a child..... the cruellest irony was, it was our family dog.
But because my brother always fed him, he only wagged his tail for my broda and reserved his teeth-bearing/chewing for the rest of us.
Even my parents used to beg my brother to come and hold on to the dog so they could get out of the car and into the house.
Oh, the power aged 7, for my brother.
Anyway, here's hoping this GenZ of pet dogs in 9ja are better behaved.
Thank you Risi, once again for this write up.
Please don't starve us of your talents.

Bukky S said...

Humorous & captivating blog! Definitely not the description & image I had of dogs πŸ• when I was in Nigeria in the 70s & early 80s. Cassie looks like royalty πŸ‘‘ breed compared to the dogs I saw in those days 😩😳 Keep up the lively narratives, Ola!

Unknown said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.. well done!!!