Friday 10 April 2020

30 DAYS IN LAGOS AND STILL COUNTING...




A phone is ringing in the near distance and wakes me from sleep, the bedside clock reads 3:30am. I stare as my phone continues to flash and my stomach tightens as I just know I'm about to receive a life changing call I have dreaded all my life. I take a deep breath as I answer and hear Uncle Biodun's voice ‘Ola it has happened o……’ every single word he says after this I do not understand as I cannot take anything in. I do however manage to tell him that we will see him later. He assures me he has everything under control, I then drop the phone.


There is a slight problem here though as I’m 3000 miles away in the U.K. and I’ve just been told that my dad has died in Nigeria. My mind is racing, but there is no time to grieve or process what I've just been told. It’s a Wednesday and the last time I spoke with dad was on the Sunday. Dad is a Muslim so I know if I don't get my skates on he’ll be buried before I get to Nigeria. I've got 2 brothers in England and a sister in The United States and they need to be told. I'm looking at the clock and have to make that judgment call whether it's a civil time to let them know. I weigh the odds and know that time is of essence here, no time for drama. The obligatory calls are made but I will spare you the intimate details of how those calls went down.

By 5:45 same morning a Whatsapp group ‘Dad’s Passing’ is created.
First message dropped was from my brother Ahmed at 6.33am informing us that he’ll be catching 9:50am train to Heathrow Airport and would be arriving Lagos at 17:25.  Within a few hours of receiving ‘THAT CALL’, Ahmed is on a midday flight to Lagos thereby landing on same day dad passed. Myself and Akeem also take off from Heathrow that same night arriving Lagos next morning. Heathrow was empty, not many passengers on ground no thanks to COVID 19. Nigeria at this time were more concerned about Yellow Fever with new guidelines for passengers, social media was agog with conflicting information about requirements for travel. For avoidance of stress a dear friend, Uloma tracked down a pharmacy for us to have our yellow fever vaccinations before we travelled that night.
My sister Tawa is also planning her exit from her base in the United States.

The flight to Lagos was a welcome distraction and of full of drama, 2 heated arguments between passengers settled by a very stressed out cabin crew members, another unruly passenger playing Islamic call loud on a speaker and a theft of duty free purchases from the overhead cabins. All passengers are issued with a health form to disclose our current health status and details of forwarding address. The irony is that no one discloses their true location due to fears of details being sold to ‘Boys of the night’ and to avoid ‘late night visits’ at our respective places of residence. We land and our temperatures taken before we are allowed to we file past immigration.


We arrive Lagos to see our dad for the last time and make that journey to our home town, Okun Owa, Ijebu Ogun State same day for his funeral. We return to Lagos and a week later we are back in Ijebu for 8th Day prayers. I have not gone into too much details about our dad because a blog post could never do justice about our relationship with him. I’d need to write a book for that. But those of you that know…will know what he meant to usπŸ’”


Dad had a befitting burial and we were overwhelmed with the love and generosity shown to us by sympathisers. There was however this recurring narrative through out the ceremony from people while passing their condolences also expressing their concern about us being in the country when Corona Virus was becoming more topical in Nigeria. At this time the virus had not been upgraded by WHO to Pandemic status.

At this time also Nigeria’s attitude was we people from ‘the abroad’ had come with our diseases, as then there were only a few isolated cases in the country and corona was seen very much as an ‘abroad issue’. We actually experienced people being weary when around us and wearing masks!There was a lot of conflicting news and government directives. There was talk about Nigerian air space being closed from 21st March meanwhile our return flights were booked for the 22nd.

Anyways 2 days before my return flight to Heathrow, my phone pings with an incoming text message from Virgin ‘I’m sorry to advise that flight VS*** is due to be cancelled for operational reasons…’

To be continued.
Have a Good Friday (pun intended) and stay safe 😷

πŸ’…πŸΎ

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that Nigerians are relishing the psychological feeling of not being the one to be pitied, not being the one "bringing trouble" for once ! They are loving the feeling of being the ones to tell off the "abroad nigerians" who they had thought were better than them by being abroad but now have realised that the "abroad nigerians" can be weaker than them!
Besides Nigerians culturally have never had any empathy or compassion for any eal or perceived weakness (whether weakness financially or in terms of power and influence ) or sickness.

Culturally in naija Anyone perceived as weak is to be treated with no respect, the weaker must give way (in terms of his rights) to the stronger one and be grateful for whatever crumbs of afterthought good he can get from the stronger one.

Only as we yield for Christ continue to wash us with His word will our cultural mindsets be gradually changed to GOD'S own mindset and a more compassionate society that does not envy and the strong will realise that it is their DUTY to take care of compassionately and with respect, the weak

ShollyBobo said...

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Olly, NCDC are looking for you at Yaba Quarantine Centre. All those that came into Naija during the month of March. I will forward your address to them, if you don't turn up in 2 hours.

Titi Pa Jones said...

30days already , mo gbeπŸ™†πŸ»‍♂️πŸ™†πŸΌ‍♀️!!! imagine Oyinbo diseases, indeed! irony of life , diseases are expected to emanate from Africa ! But God decided to turn the tables ....so “Corona Driveus “ pandemic rages on 😱😭😭

Anonymous said...

It's so difficult not knowing what to say or how to express sympathy and to empathise with you and your family at this difficult time. Needless to say, this is no ordinary blog, no ordinary storytelling, so it would be uncomfortable to say "what a brilliant story" even though it is. Thinking of you and family mamaO. See u soon and stay safe. Looking forward to the next chapter. Xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Ola glad to see that lockdown has got you back blogging again. So what is lockdown like in Lagos compared to us in the UK? We have long queues outside our local supermarkets standing 2 metres apart. Only essential food shopping so no binge food items to ease your lockdown. We also have an hour to have exercise at our local park. Every Thursday at 8pm we come out of our houses and clap for the NHS staff. The rainbow has now become our national symbol of hope. Lockdown has got people doing all manner of crazy things. Iam keeping it simple by painting the bathroom, volunteering at my local food bank and knitting the baby cardigan l started last summer. Have a lovely Easter

ADEDAPO said...

Olatunde, my thoughts and prayer continue to be with you and yours. May Alhaji's soul rest in peace. The whole saga still seems like a dream or drama to me sha! While you are still there, please enjoy the sunshine on your large balcony without the buka food and Oregun Suya (smiles) with gari ijebu. I should be stuck in Lagos with you but you didnt let it happen (sad face)������. Please stay safe. Much love from Tottenham ������

Unknown said...

So happy you are able to do this blog. I was in pieces when you informed me of your dad's passing.
It is proof that you are children who honours your parent's memory and dropped everything to be at his side less than 24 hrs from initial call .

Keep all the memories alive, safe return.


Ronkus Sobande said...

Awww..Ola, I loved your dad. He was the best of men (of course, after my dad). He was good at everything he did and was. The exit of a great man. He will be greatly missed.πŸ˜₯πŸ’”πŸ’”

Particularly, glad you all made it home to say your goodbyes. You, his children were his pride and joy!

Absolutely loved the picture in the blog. I know your parents are giving each other hi-fives and hugging. At least they can do that on the other side. No need for social distancing there. They got one on us here πŸ˜‚

Now with regards to your status quo, I am glad you are “stranded” in Lagos and not in some foreign country. No do no do, Naija is HOME!πŸ˜‚
Enjoy your time there. God knows when next. 😘

Yomi said...

Stranded in lasgidi and enjoying the lockdown.

DokWan said...

Risi,
Thanks for this blog.
Glad you made it home in time for the goodbyes.
Your dad seemed a lovely man....I met him only once.
Hope you are enjoying the lock down.
Feels very weird round here.
Looking forward to Part 2

Risi By Name said...

@Sholly Bobo, your 2 hours are up and they still haven't caught me πŸ™„

@Titi Pa Jones, it's now 32 days and still counting....
And yes the role reversal is kinda ironic.
Thanks for making it to Ijebu, was good to see youπŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•

@emuo_erhuphu@yahoo.com (aka Mama Ijebu, Eunice)
You've really got it, on the one hand a good blog post....however you are right, it's the sad loss of our father that got us here in the first place. See you soon and stay safe too.

@Anonymous 10th April 12:54
Hi Dela, (who else could it be? The volunteering for food bank and knitting for grandchild gave you away).
Hmmm Lockdown in Lagos...is lockdown in Lagos and can only be imagined. I'm still gathering my thoughts for a blog post on this. We have some semblance of social distancing particularly at supermarkets and banks. Trying to stay fit has not worked out for a few people who were rounded up by the military as you may have read about. They ended up doing possibly a years worth of exercise when they were forced to 'frog march' 😩

@Adedapo
Thanks for your prayers and thanks for listening to me and not coming over for dad's funeral, as yes you would have been with me right now....though on 2nd thoughts that would have been fun!

@Unknown
Thanks for pointing that out, all 4 of us making it out before the COVID -19 lockdown is God's doing and we give him all the glory.

@Ronkus Sobande
Thanks for sharing your fond memories of dad, I had been asked why I have not gone in depth as to the kind of person he was but I don't feel this is the time, those of you that know....will know. Can I you now share your dad with me?
Yes Dad's gone to meet Mum and they were laid side by side.
As you said Naija is home away from home, eventually borders will open.

@Yomi
One emoji for you .....πŸ™„

@DokWan
Our dearest NHS key worker well done πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎ
So glad you got to meet dad at THE BBQ back then, thanks for the memories, I shall be revisiting that blog post now!!!


@All Readers. Happy Easter. Stay safe.

ShollyBobo said...

@Risi By Name, 9:19 12 April 2020
The NCDC called me back, claiming you couldn't be found and that one Alex said you have travelled back to the UK. This was after laying siege for 3 hours at your Oregun residence. Are you doing an abracadabra? Please let me know your location so they can quickly grab you before....

Anonymous said...

Ola, Ahmed, Hakeem and Tawa. E pele o. I am really and truly sorry to learn of Dad’s passing. My sister and I were fortunate to spend a few hours with him during Ayomide’s naming ceremony. I am so glad you all made it to say your final good byes. May his gentle soul continue to rest in peace and Allah. Erin won a da o. Insha Allah. Aameen..

Esther Akingbade-olatunji said...

Waooo. OLA! πŸ˜ƒYou sure made me very guilty this morning. Am glad you did. God bless you guys for taking the roll call within 24 hours. May papa’s soul rest in perfect peace . Stay safe please. God be with you all. πŸ€—πŸ€—

Iya Ibeji said...

It was a massive shock to learn of daddy’s passing or rather Alhaji Sule as I fondly called him. My heartfelt condolences go to the entire family immediate and extended.

The good thing is daddy lives on in every single one of his children, the similarities are uncanny every single child is the spitting image! A hard loss to bear but the good Lord will comfort you and never leave you or forsake you!

My husband and I will always enjoy the lovely conversation we had during one of his visits to London. We spent the evening laughing with tears running down our eyes. We thank God for all memories.

May his soul rest in perfect, perfect peace.

Anonymous said...

FTA - Please accept my condolences on your loss. However we rejoice in the fact that he lived to old age and that you and your siblings outlived him. May our children outlive us too. I would have loved to see you since you are still in Nigeria but for the fear of COVID 19. Greeting you with all my love from social distancing πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ FTA