Friday 20 March 2015

LEVELS DON CHANGE!


I was chatting with one of my oldest friends 'Tee' the other day, (oldest in the sense that I've known her for a very long time rather than oldest in 'age' before she has my head!) We were doing what we do best 'reminiscing'.
We were talking about one of my mum's favourite sayings:
"Twenty children cannot play for twenty years" literally what she meant was if a group of 20 children started out as friends.....roll on 20 years, there would have been some fallouts, some would have moved away, family commitments blah di blah, hence the group would decrease in number.
Our mum often used this phrase when we were growing up to buttress her point anytime we were disappointed by a friend, to encourage us to be more independent and less reliant on others.

'Tee' is actually an older sister to my friend 'Riri', we however became friends because we served our National Youth Service in Jos, Nigeria together.
I think the best part is that though all 3 of us currently live in 3 different continents we still maintain a strong bond.
And over the decades we have annexed an add-on to this saying i.e.
"Twenty children may not play for 20 years we however 26 years on were are still playing!"

My Oh My those were the days. And they can never be recaptured. We were young, free and naive. We all had our first 'proper' jobs', 'Tee' was auditing, 'Riri' was in a law firm and I worked in a head office of a bank, in the heart of Lagos. I shared an office with a friend called Caryn pronounced Ca-rin, (you'll understand all this detail later!). 
We'd all leave home at crack of dawn to avoid early morning traffic on 3rd Mainland bridge. At times we would 'car pool' any of us could pick the others from a designated spot. Or at times we would lengthen the journey by picking Carin up from her place on Pepple street, Ikeja. Some of you may know that this was an iconic street back then as Fela's Anikulapo-Kuti's Shrine was located there. In fact Carin's flat overlooked Shrine (another story for another blog!)

As far back as then traffic jams in the morning were the norm, the opportunistic vendors would hawk their wares in the build up.
The make of your car, how you looked or what you wore would determine what they offered you. If they thought you looked pretty or 'aje butter' they would surround your car with chants of "Aunty you need Tuc biscuit? shortbread? fan ice, yoghurt or chocolate drink dey", but if they assessed you as looking somewhat 'aje paki', 'razz' or 'wor-wor' you'd get the "Aunty I get rat poison o, you need am?, e dey work well well, any rat wey dey your house, no matter size, e go kill am" or "Aunty buy air freshner now, your shalanga (pit latrine, hole in ground toilet!) go smell fresh like London"!! as they would have seen you finished!!
Woe betide you if you scowled at them or squeezed your face as you'd get an "Aunty why you dey 'frank' face now, no bi me say make oga flog you dis morning" I mean what chance had a sister got??

Anyway we arrive at work, I'd drive into the local library car park at CMS, Lagos and hand my car keys to one 'broda' that minded car park, for him to park for me, you see my driving skills were very limited and I had not really mastered the art of reversing! (Yes, despite attending a 'Popular' Driving School in Ikeja!, but that's also another story for the blog on another day!) in fact my dad was so perplexed over his wasted money on those driving lessons, that he asked Dare, a friend of my brother to give me top up lessons before he allowed me out on the road. 

Sorry to digress but while we are on the topic of car parking, where I currently work there is  a nearby swimming pool, most of us park in it's car park as it's just a stone throw from the office. When asked where did I park most mornings, my reply is usually "I parked in the swimming pool" there will always be one smart 'effico' to correct me and say "Ola you mean you parked in the swimming pool 'car park'. And I wonder before n'ko? whether I say 'swimming pool' or swimming pool 'car park' they know what I meant, so why the need for 'grammatical' correction?

Anyway back to the matter, we'd arrived at work on the 10th floor of CMS bookshop house, the rules were simple, basically we had to be 'on seat' before the Oga (The boss) arrived. He was a distinguished gent being a member of the learned profession. He was respected and feared by most of the staff, people stood when he entered the room or when being spoken to. Myself and Carin were however less overwhelmed by his presence. Looking back now I don't think it was disrespect but probably more of youthful exuberance. You see we had assessed the situation, his daughters who were about same age as us, visited him in the office frequently, they had such a good rapport with him, and as this man was about the same age as our own fathers we concluded there was no need to 'shake' (fear) for him!

Each morning he would make his rounds about the office, he would pop his head around the door and say "Good morning Miss Sule" to me, then look at Carin and playfully say "Morrin Clarin" (please note spelling and how he has pronounced her name! He's added an "L"). We'd both chorus "Good morning Sir" in response to him.  As soon as he left our room however and closed door, Carin who was livid would suck her teeth and let out an ever so loud "HISS!!! What rubbish! What nonsense, Clarin ko, Clarus ni, where he see the letter 'L' join??! Weda na him christen me he go explain"

I'd be looking at the door nervously really scared that he'd come back and overhear her, I would be signalling at the door and gesturing her to shush but God forbid, Carin was not having any of it, she would engage gear 2 and continue, "shush wetin?? that's the problem with Yoruba people, too much respect, you just go dey shake for each 'oda' ordinary pronunciation dem no get, what's difficult in calling C-a-r-i-n, Carin, but no he must to add "L". Upon all the lawyer wey he claim he lawyer, simple English he cannot speak, if he wants to call 'cat' would he also add letter 'L' making it a 'Clat'?? Nonsense people. (for sake of clarity, I'm of yoruba origin, this my friend has just cussed me and all my forefathers, there was no political correctness back then!)

I try and calm her down and tell her its no big deal, this makes her more angry she says I should shut up, if he called me Lola and instead of Ola would I like it??
It was such a crazy cycle it would happen each morning, he'd greet her as 'Clarin' adding his missing "L". I'd brace myself for the "Morrin Clarin" African magic drama it was all like déjà vu. Upon all of Carin's threats behind closed doors that she would insult and correct him next time he mispronounces her name she never did. It's was all just Shakara Oloje (empty threats) on her part. (Some of you would now understand why when I'm in casual text chat I tend to use the word 'morrin' instead of 'good morning', must be the post traumatic stress from back then embedded somewhere in my sub-conscience!) 

Item 2 on agenda was breakfast (that's another blog post, involving Agege bread and beans!)
Item 3 on agenda is a trip to the Lagos High Court, Igbosere, (also another blog post for another day) to monitor whether the Counsel representing our bank were really worth their salt! We spent most of our time at the courts, the entertainment and drama could not be bought!
Item 4 on agenda, involves a rendezvous to Ghana High Commission, we're not talking visa's here but rather jollof rice, fried meat and buns sold in the yard outside! 

By the time we return to the office it's almost home time, at 5pm on the dot our Oga (a real family man, never spent long hours in the office!) is on the way to the lift, 3 members of staff in tow! one carrying his brief case, another some folders and the 3rd his jacket (#rolling of eyes  #straight face smiley).
It's time for Item 5, Myself and Carin have also packed our bags and are close on his tail, no other member of staff has the "liver"(guts) to leave that office before our oga, talk less of squeezing themselves in the lift same time with him. It was just an unspoken rule, "Enter lift with Oga? you craze??" I personally try to draw as little attention to myself as I enter lift and avoid any eye contact as lift creaks from 10th floor to ground zero. Brazen Carin, crazy girl, however would have the effrontery to actually start whistling or humming under her breath to pollute the silence. 
Oga's driver would be giving her the evil eye as if to say "disrespectful girl"  I'd just keep quiet, praying let's just get out of here. As the door opens we rush out, Oga would call out "Clarin, Miss Sule, have good evening". As 'per usual' once out of earshot Carin would let out her loud Hiss!!

This is actually a very brief summary of a working day in my life back then, it was a whole different culture wasn't it? Levels have really changed!  I'm sure back then if we had responsibilities and/or a few mouths to feed we would not have been so laid back! Mind you for my friend 'Riri' it was a different ball game she worked for one of the most disciplined 'London Trained' Oga's ever, her work pattern was nothing like ours. Everything was done by the book, the rules and regulations were plenty. Likewise 'Tee' as an accountant her job involved her moving from site to site, amazing how companies would shake, when she turned up to check the books!!

I'm told by the advisory committee that I should not involve myself in comments on this blog. But I just have to say something, "In as much as" (that's four words I've just used instead of one, as the word 'though' would have done!) I write because I love to, what really floats my boat is your comments, I however find that some of the wittiest and funniest  comments tend to be written by Uncle or Aunty 'Anonymous'!!! Come on you guys, even if you want to maintain your anonymity you could always use a pseudo name (imagine you could be Madam Kofo, Baba Suwe, Boy Alinco or Miss Pepeye for a day!). 

That's me done, though I can imagine if I were in your shoes, I'd ensure on this particular post I comment as 'anonymous' just to prove a point and to discourage me from interfering in the future!!

Thanks anyway for your comments (both anonymous and named), feedback and silent readers, they are valued. 
On that note you'll have to excuse me, as this side of the pond we're expecting The much anticipated Solar Eclipse, it's due to reach our local area at approx. 8:26am. We need to fetch our buckets of water! Have a great weekend. 


If you can't annoy somebody, there is little point in writing ~ Kingsley Amis

27 comments:

RONNIE said...

Ola that was interesting. Please write a blog about a day at work here in the UK.

Risi By Name said...

Thanks Ronnie, work in the UK is a WHOLE different ball game!!!

Mama ibeji said...

Stiii not first ....... as my mum would say 'those that are carrying 1st do They two head" me, I'm not into ' it's the taking part that matters' thing. For the matter at hand I will be back ,......

RONNIE said...

I want to hear about the different ball game Ola

Tenumo said...

Will never forget Ghana High. Lovely food

Did the vendors sell you rat poison or fan ice?



Risi By Name said...

Wow Iya Beji, good to see you have your priorities in order!!
Posting comment before reading blog, in order to be first!!

Risi By Name said...

Tenumo, I am your 'Egbon' and you must respect me.
Obviously it was Fan ice they offered me!!!!
I can tell it's gonna be one of those days, I'm sooo running late for work!

Anonymous said...

I can't stop laughing. It is so good to remember those days when we did not have any responsibility and the troubles we got into caused problems for our parents.
Ghana high is still there churning out hot jollof rice in the mornings. The traffic on the 3rd mainland bridge had not abated and the hawkers have doubled. That is the situation report.
Thanks Ola for brightening my morning. Your friend Tee the accountant and auditor.

Fine Boy Jonny said...

Too much hype about the eclipse, was just another dark Cloudy cold rubbish day in UK as usual.

Aburo Remi said...

Ironically , the hustle is still pretty much the same because i can still relate to the events you described . Is that to say things do not change in Naija?? (Just wondering out loud )


I like the part with "Clarin" and for the fact that she cussed out the yoruba race, I only hope she is married to a yoruba man :)

Great piece !

Big Sis S said...

Woow, I'm glad things have changed! I've had it very easy in comparison :)

Anonymous said...

Now on the matter...... Niaja respect sha ... I'm all for respect but it has level o!!! Recently we had a house guest! Real big man o! Big job back in Africa and all the trimmings that go with the job! Which means he is incapable of doing simple tasks himself. Anyway, Big man wanted to go shopping! I took great delight in strolling behind him while he carried his own bags. Big man really tried o. I even advised hi to put small bags into the big bags so he doesn't loose anything! He thanked me. See? Big man you can do it!! When we got home he even took them out of the boot and lugged them up the stairs. I just looked on. Well done big man. See you didn't die cos you carried your own bags. Big man well done!! Mama ibeji

Anonymous said...

I like this...good recap, lets talk about the 'Preparation' our coming back to England after a long time. Especially some funny guide from parents & friends. Deji.

Anonymous said...

This is such a funny piece; couldn't stop laughing at the thought of what the vendors offered you in traffic. I got offered tissue paper not to wipe sweat but tears , driving back from having caught ex boyfie's with another girl.
Vendor goes; 'Aunty , e go better , buy this tissue abi na handkerchief you need'. At this point, didn't know who I should be cursing! Lol.
I shall remain anonymous even more after this .

Oyinade said...

l really wish l have your kind of typical day back then. Banking in Nigeria has since changed, most times the only time l get to leave my seat is when l go for meetings or when l have to use the convenience. Vehicular traffic in Lagos is still very hellish. A friend of mine loves the traffic shopping as she claims she could get to buy all the ingredients for a good pot of soup in traffic. So from vegetables to pepper to ponmo(cow hide) fish and meat, you can get in lagos traffic. Ghana used to be the place to be but no we have some newcomers in the industry.The likes of Iya Eba , White House etc. I recall a long time ago a friend and l had boarded motorcyles to where we eat Amala at a place in Eti-Osa because we were trying to avoid traffic and needed to get back to the office in time. The cost of transportation was almost thrice the cost of Amala. My friend arrived the venue in time and was waiting for me, meanwhile l almost had an accident on the way as the motorcycle driver drove into a moving car. It was God that saved my limbs all because of amala. I told my friend " babe this na madness o, l no go follow do this experiment again o, because of amala make lknow turn lgbobi patient". May l not become a victim of an unfortunate consumption.

Foluke said...


First let me state that I enjoy the little nuggets after the blog as much as the blog itself.
So this week I wrote to deliberately annoy someone and it worked ......Happy Days!!!

Now to the blog.
I really worry for you because of all your "high maintenance" friends.
Abeni, Clarin....oops! I mean Carin na wah O.
Sounds like you guys had a blast working in Lagos.
Levels don change, but Life goes on. Live it!

Anonymous said...

Oga o......Very interesting.
Your boss was a good wind-up-merchant. He knew very well what he was doing and your friend was always falling into the trap (please don't call him agbaiya). Maybe there was more to it than just meet the eye alone.
I must admit, it never occurred to me that the hawkers were selective sellers (trying not to laugh at the lady that was offered tissues but I am rolling on the floor with laughter).
Unfortunately, those hawkers were never coming near my car. I wonder why. Could it be because I'm Ijebu.......Hmmmmmmmm.......Demola


Anonymous said...

Ollysu, how u could write this tale and not include me I don't know!!!!!!
There is God o

Guess who?

I love nandos said...

Na wa . We too fear oga. Remember those days wen person de carry crates of 'minerals' at Oga's pikins wedding. We don Suffer.

Risi By Name said...


Sorry Anon. 20 March @ 17:25, but speaking on behalf of all the people in the building, we don't like half story!!

Two questions:
Could you kindly 'expantiate' on what happened after you caught 'Boyfie' with the other girl?

Did you buy the handkerchief or the tissues?

Anonymous said...

Ore, this is absolutely rib cracking. I have laughed so much at the thought of the hawkers being selective . I was offered oranges when in my mum's car back then...aunty buy sweet orange; make I peel am? They must have thought I lacked vitamin C.. Lol.

I always kept a straight face though when non of the items for sale interested me but it's funny.

This is good stuff reminiscing on old times.

Ore, it's anonymous as usual . This is just to cause you some irritability which I know you cannot seem to fathom . ����.. Yemi ( Esther ).

Yikes said...

Ore, can't stop laughing.......this was quite nice.

Risi By Name said...

Yikes!!!!!!
Is this really you????

Alatenumo said...

Hello Yikes. Is that you?

FTA said...

Hahah! My tummy wants to burst from laughter. So Yoruba people give too much respect. So why didn't Carin or Clarin correct the oga or voice out her comment in the presence of your boss, 'shakara oloje', lol. I think the Oga was just trying to be friendly with Carin.
I didn't know that hawkers were selective to sellers. I have been offered handkerchief while inside an air-conditioned car. Could it be the hawker saw that I was sweating from one kind disease? Lol

Arinze Mama said...

The good old days! I remember one summer I returned home from Uni expecting to be bored silly and counting the days to freedom (back to Uni)!! However an unexpected opportunity arose via my Uncle (real uncle!!!) to work at his bank. It was one of the best summer holidays I had. I don't even recall what work we did (quite possibly none), we (mainly female summer workforce) simply lived for lunch time,checking out the eye candy!

Those were the days! I must say, the pay was crap but then again we didn't do much work! I don't think they expected much from us workwise. As we were all related to someone in the bank. We were also pretty much just eye candy!

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting and funny piece. There was no way I would have corrected my Oga if my name was not well pronounced. In that part of the world, our Ogas are alway right, even when it is blatant that they are wrong. We are very respectful and I can see why Carin will take out her frustration on you rather than the Oga. Our Ogas are never wrong.

It is unbelievable what is on offer by vendors when caught in traffic. Ata, alubosa, rodo, tomato, etc, they may also be able to blend on the spot. Didn't realise they are selective, they will "size" you up, to determine what you are able to afford, they are very busy and can't afford to waste their time trying to convince you to buy an expensive item when it is obvious that you are struggling to maintain the car you are driving.

You must have had such a wonderful time in Lagos. I am sure you didn't get much done at work.

I will remain nameless just to annoy you again.