Friday 10 April 2015

BACK TO MY ROOTS!

                                  

If only I could be given a fifty pound note for each time I've been asked "Ola how come you're the only one among your siblings that does not have a Muslim name?"
Brace yourself guys, it's complicated!

As a child from that era, all emphasis on the phrase 'that era', before some of you start to bring out your abacus, cowrie shells or calculator to do the math and calculate my age, I assure you it was A.D though!
I was my parents first born child and they christened me with the beautiful Muslim name "Risikatu".
It was very common back then for Our Naija parents that came over here to engage the services of 'nannies' to help with child care to enable them focus on their studies.
These nannies were mainly British and the child care arrangements were live-in. So basically the way it worked was I went to live with this nanny (may her soul rest in peace) and her young daughter at her home in Kent. While my parents studied in London. I'm not really sure of the logistics as I was so young ( I was a cutie, short, round, rocking a mini Afro as my nanny could never manage my kinky hair!)

my parents, paid for the service, provided for my needs, schooling expenses, clothing, toys etc. they visited me frequently and I spent all school breaks with them.

On one occasion when they came to see me as they arrived, my nanny offered them a 'cuppa tea' and my parents sat there exchanging niceties with her, she raised her voice and called out "Cat" my mum quickly swept her feet off the floor up onto couch she was sitting as she disliked cats and could not bare them rubbing their fur against her! But lo and behold rather than the family pussy cat strolling out from the kitchen, I did!
"Cat, your mum and dad are here" my nanny called out to me as I walked towards them. You can only imagine their displeasure, mum looked at dad and dad looked at mum! My parents ask her why she was calling me 'Cat' and she explained that it was a short version of Risikatu!

Through out that visit my parents heard the name 'Cat' being bantered between my nanny, her daughter and a next door neighbour when talking or referring to me. My mother (May she rest in peace, too) just sat there wincing, with 'that' smile on her face! (you know that type of smile, that is not really a smile? You know like the kind of smile you got from your mum back in the day, when you went out visiting as a child and were asked whether you were hungry by an aunt and you make mistake of saying yes. You just knew from that smile on your ma's face that it was literally all over for you when you got home!!! ), My indignant parents made the call right there and then, a decision was made and they asked her to start calling me by my middle Yoruba name instead,
Voila!!!! A star named "Ola" was born! 

Blog readers, you know what??? 
At this point in time, ideally I should have inserted the phrase "Now Here Endth The Lesson' and rounded up this post!
After all your shenanigans, comments, shakara, protests and complaints about the brevity of my post last week Friday, "A Picture Speaks A Thousand Words". 
There were allegations of 'writer's block' 'Ola has lost her swagger', comments that you the readers felt 'short changed', suggestions that I should not make short blogs a habit as you blog readers are my customer's and therefore were always right, enquiries about the "read more" link!! The general consensus appeared to be that you guys preferred my lengthy blog format to the short form. 
You were inciting each other and yapping, subtle insults being bantered left right and centre by every Musa, Alao and Nkechi (wow, I'm dizzy now, I need my sunglasses). The key was in the title of the blog, guys!!
Anyway somewhere in the near future I plan to let you guys hold the forum with a guest blogger, I will pick any of you, could be The 'Infamous' Iya Ibeji, 'Notorious' Demola, 'Cheeky' Foluke, 'Elder Statesman' Aje The boy, 'Counsellor' FTA, or the 'English speaking' Oyinade to carry the RBN flag for the day and we will see how much grammar you can write and we will all 'judge' the matter.

Anyone interested in appearing as guest blogger on Risi By Name Blog for 'one day only' kindly email me at risibyname@aol.co.uk 
'As per usual' I still thank you for your comments, for I'm saying it once again 'Your comments drive the blog'. I sit down every weekend and watch as those comments come trickling in and I'm thoroughly entertained. As for all you Aunty and Uncle 'Anonymous', you really do continue to frustrate me, wearing your masks! But what can a girl do?? As you too bring so much fun to the party!!

On that note 'as I'm a woman of few words' and never been one to hold a grudge, 'I whip my hair back and forth', and forgive you all as 'you know not what you do', engage gear 2 (it's obvious I drive a manual isn't it) and continue with this tale. 

While we're on the subject matter of our Naija names in a foreign land, please somebody help me here! Why do we make it so easy for these people to make short cuts when it comes to the pronunciation of our lovely names? All we easy option Ola's, Olu's and Ade's out there! Yes it's okay if that's really your birth name, but what of when it's not? and we adopt such names just to make it easier for someone else?

Picture this:
Mrs Elizabeth Brown meets a strapping 'fit' black handsome guy in the lobby at a work related conference one weekend, after the courteous hand shake she asks casually "What's your name", he replies 'Kunta Kente' she smiles nervously and says "Oh, sorry I didn't quite catch that, can you repeat it again". He stands firmly, arms akimbo, looks her straight in the eye repeats "Kunta Kentè" kindly note this time he has pronounced name more deliberately, with a thick accent and even added an accent at the top of the letter "e"!
Mrs Brown shuffles on her feet awkwardly and replies "Wow, that's an 'interesting' name you've got there, bit of mouthful though isn't it?"
Kunta Kente continues to stare her in the eyes but does not acknowledge, reply or nod head in agreement with her patronising comment!
Mrs Brown then asks "what's the short form of the name?"
He replies bluntly " There is no short form"
Mrs Brown now flirtatiously let's out a throaty seductive laugh and stroking his arm, winks at him and says "not to worry, 'hon' I'll just call you 'Kunts' for short" 
He replies "No, Kunts is not my name, I am Kunta Kente, son of Juffere village from the Mandika tribe, Gambia, West Africa, The world!  (A thanks to Alex Haley!)
That is how it's supposed to be done!!! Maximum respect brother, round of applause with standing ovation included!!
Don't let anyone steal your identity or rewrite your history as "Chicken George" is not your portion!!

Now imagine this scenario played out in the reverse with a newly christened 'Kunts' deluding himself that he's onto a winner (wink-wink, accompanied by a cough), with the seductive Mrs 'blue eyed blonde' E Brown and asking whether he can shorten her name to 'Lizzy'?? That I assure you would be met with a cold stoney wall and he'd be whipped back into submission by 'Missy' Elizabeth Brown, as it is one of the worst cardinal sins over this side of the pond  to address a person name in the incorrect format. Same goes for spelling as well. 

So why are we accommodating these adaptions thrust on us! Is it because we want to fit in? Or because our names are not a big deal to us?
Please those of us that have ears, let's hear and reject those 'random' names 'imposed' on us. 
For the sake of clarity I'm not talking of when we are christened with English names, I'm talking of us accepting 'made up' 'formulated' names, that are 'branded' on us for the convenience of others that just can't be bothered to learn how to pronounce our names due to their monopoly of superiority complex!

Hands up, I must admit though I grew up to be known as 'Ola' a few people still religiously held on to the 'Risikatu' and called me by that name in shortened form 'Risi' and boy oh boy, did I hate that name? It was a bug bear of mine and a weak link in my existence. And my friends played on that fact. They often forgot what my muslim name was, so they'd start the guessing game, reeling off like 10 muslim names which I would never verify until eventually they remembered. Back then I felt it was just so 'razz' (uncool) to have such a name. I felt my brothers and sister had a much fairer deal with glamorous Muslim names. 

At school I never wanted anyone to know about the 'other' name. So you can imagine my shock horror when I graduated and a local magazine,"Today's choice" (similar to 'Prime People' mag back then) with an office opposite our home in Lagos, asked my parents whether they could run an article on my graduation. They agreed but I was unaware of all this as it was supposed to be a surprise. On that blessed day of publication, my parents proudly presented me with a copy of the magazine, I rush to the relevant page and there was this unflattering pic of me in my 'regalia' accompanied with a short blurb:

"Recently Barrister Risikatu Sule was called to the Nigerian Bar, her proud parents held a reception in her honour to celebrate the day and invited a few friends to drink sweaty bottles of drinks and food.  Risikatu a diligent girl that had burnt the midnight candle oil to achieve this dream...., Risikatu this, Risikatu that blah blah blah.."
(For the sake of clarity "The bar" they referred to here was neither a beer parlour, wine bar, joint nor pub, you may thank me for this useful piece of information at a later date!)

To say I felt sick was putting it mildly, this name was just screaming out at me all over that mag, but I just had to grin and bare it, if I had the money I would have bought every single copy of the mag and burnt them. My friends found the 'burning the midnight candle oil' part the funniest and also 'the sweaty bottles of drinks' The teasing had no end, Risikatu are you burning the midnight candle oil?? They would chant after this day.
Why do 'our' journalists like to use such flowery language??
Only yesterday watching a popular Naija News show, the heading was 'A Post-Mortem on Buhari's previous administration As Head of State'.  Why would they not use the words 'An analysis' or 'A review' instead? Post Mortem indeed!! (That's a blog for another day though)

If anyone told me I'd later embrace the name 'Risi' with so much pride, I'd never have believed. 
Dad, I wonder whether you still have that magazine clipping, in the 'This Is Your Life' folder you keep that chronicles my life?
On that note guys 'Here Endeth The Lesson'.

Let's Thank God it's Friday and continue to keep it real.

All eyes on Nigeria's Gubernatorial election this Saturday, particularly in Lagos state. #LagoonGate #LagosNoGoSpoil


Don't blow out another's candle as it won't make yours shine brighter ~ Jaachynma N.E. Agu


46 comments:

I LOVE NANDO'S said...

They never bother with foreign sounding names and they think a patronising smile will compensate for the remixed murdered name. Kai we don suffer.


I love Nando's

Anonymous said...

Everything must have a root either good or bad. Apparently names are very important particularly if it has a meaning and it's traceable to a root. Biologically roots must grow. The names we bear in Africa must have a good meaning because we believe in it that is why the say o ru ko lo ro

RONNIE said...

Ok Risikatu nuff said

Alatenumo said...

Risikatu, Risikat, Risi.

Na true talk u yarn my sista. Oyibo no de like to go the extra mile call persin full name. Na Oyibo Privilege they de call am. Oyibo fit define us, but we no fit define ourselves.

When u are Alani den go call u Alan
When u are Jumoke de go call u Jummy
When u are Alatenumo de go call u Tenu
When u are Oritsejafor de go call u Ori
When u are Musubawu de go call u Musu


Anonymous said...

Risi by name, Risky by nature. RBN°2. I totally agree with you and I have told my girls that on no occasion should they be called Ade by anyone be it oyinbo or otherwise. The full name please or the shortened form that meets my approval. So you have Dunmola and Diwura without the prefix "Ade". We have to understand the meaning of our names to take pride in it. Especially as we are all English speaking now. We did enjoy the name Olasule. It was a brand that is still very strong despite your getting married and change of surname.

Fine Boy Jonny said...

Risikatu, one question please. I don't mean to be rude but where is the annex to YOUR own 'Ola'?????
The name is kinda incomplete!

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

Your science no correct here "CAT" definitely if I kill your candle, shebi mine will shine better, because it will be the only candle shining.

I think the name issue is very personal and so it should be. I would rather change my name than have it so bastardised that it loses it's meaning.
"Bose becoming Bossy"

Anonymous said...

The name change in the Western world is such a complicated one and each one to their own. Sometimes, you think the people who changed their african names to western sounding ones are sell outs but at other times you cant but be understanding; to the cause of a full grown man with mouths to feed ,being out in the job search market for years, not being called for any interviews because of his african sounding name.
But my people, if you change your name at least know the correct pronunciation. How would you explain a man with with one of the richest yoruba accent you 've ever heard calling himself (he pronounces it as 'Suares": meanwhile spelt as 'Soares '.
I went to a predominantly nigerian congregation church once and the pastor made a prayer call but before laying hands on the people to pray ; He asked for their names and added, I mean the name they call you in the village not the one on your Citizenship certificate.I couldn't stop laughing.

Anonymous said...

Bossy, your candle won't be brighter. ....though it would seem like it is (being the only candle araind).
Furthermore, the more candles, the brighter for everyone. Please save your huffing and puffing for the big bad wolf's house ( sorry for messing around with the home ownership in the tale).

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

Some peoples live in meerkat manor where all is simples!
As u state big bad wolf upstaged Grandma and now has a house! Now that is SIMPLES!!!

Risi By Name said...

Anon 10 April @ 11:18 aka RBN Essex Chapter

Just to notify you on this occasion your attempt at anonymity has failed due to the use of your phrase "candle araind"

Better luck next time!!

Iya Ibeji said...

Several years ago, I came across a mum of twins on the train journey home. As a mum of twins myself, I engaged her in conversation and asked the names of the girls. She told me they were called Subrina and Suzanna . I told her the names of my twins. She screamed, so you are Yoruba? She proceeded to tell me their nigerian or Yoruba names. By then I simply switched off! Yes.... I had my posh accent on show but that does not stop her from giving me their nigerian names in the first place. Talk about having a complex!! Be proud of yourself whoever you are! My pet hate however, is a name for all seasons: one child called so many name for school child is called Angel , at home oluwapeyibunnmi , in church Florence( to honour pastor!'s wife) and when the grandparents come they call the same child Amina and the same child has ibo names o! Even I'm as dizzy as Dizzy K iPad ing all that! So just imagine that poor child.

Big Sis S said...

The image of 'Sweaty bottles of drinks' is not appetising at all!

I spent most of my school years being called 'Sean' (I'm not a man) or 'Sian' (I'm not Welsh). What I really hate are the situations when your name is being called out (school register, gp appt. etc) not because they can't pronounce it, but because it's almost inevitable that they'll laugh nervously (or patronisingly!) and say 'oh no, I'm going to butcher this one hahaha' ... -__-

The fact of the matter is that 'these' people really don't care enough to try and learn how to say our names, but if they did they would realise that it is not that hard.

For my uni graduation, I emailed ahead and spelled out my name phonetically for them. There was no way that I was going to walk across the stage on such a big day whilst someone called me Olu-WALLY, and guess what the guy said my name perfectly :)

Looking forward to next weeks post x

FTA said...

One of the things that all people and places have in common is names. Nigeria has very rich culture and our names are used to proudly proclaim our heritage and beliefs. Using short forms of names to make it easier for others to pronounce or merely to feel more a part of a community is not peculiar with Nigerians. I learnt that some European immigrants also do similar thing. For instance l learnt that in America some Germans Americanized their surnames to make it easier to pronounce by changing their names to English equivalent and where surnames did not have English equivalent, the name was usually changed based on phonetics. Can you imagine whites pronounce Yoruba name 'Sesan' as Susan. So for me if my name cannot be pronounced well in the community where l live, l will rather use the short form that has meaning than be called a variation that has no meaning.

Fine gal no pimples said...

Plan A was to marry a man with an 'oyinbo' name mainly because plan B was to come to the abroad. But all the boys in university with appropriate names were simply not husband material. I am happily married to a man with a real 'Kunta Kente' name. Infact, the only time I correct people stumbling, stuttering, spitting and generally is dissecting my name is Never. I simply ignore. Look at them and through them. And continue. They always come back to me and say ermmm, how do I say your name? I am always happy to give a 101! Now, say it with me, after me, say it again! There you are Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt! Dats all!

Albanese aka Avenue said...

Call me a bounty bar, my question as I behold my beautiful face in the mirror is "am I bothered though?"
The name issue is almost an apologia for Nigerians living in diaspora. If our country was not so bad, then we will all be in Nigeria and our names will be pronounced properly........in your dreams.
Names have been mispronounced/abbreviated/nicknamed since the year dot and will ever be.
"Bi o ti wa ni atetekose, o mibe ni isiyin, be ni o sima ri lailai"

Try being the Yoruba man living in Kaduna........then hear how your name is pronounced or vice versa. Already Chukwuma is called Chuks, Chinyere is Chichi, Kehinde is Kenny and Folake is Flakes. My Ibo friend has given up on teaching me to say her name properly, without my Yoruba accent.
Let us spare a thought for those Oyinbos with weird first and last name combos e.g
Jack Russell
Richard Bird
Imagine the many Shipman families

Surely they will endure more name issues than we ever could.

Ms Jackson.....Oooooo said...

Iya Ibeji (10 April) pls don't judge the lady unfairly. She probably just told you their first names and then their Yoruba names when she realised you are Yoruba.
My daughter (who has an oyinbo name) went to nursery school in Nigeria and when I registered her, the headmistress asked me what her REAL name was, so they could call her that instead.
I promptly told her the oyinbo name was her REAL NAME. The disdain was immediately evident.

Oyinade said...

I echo the comment of "Fine Boy Jonny". Madam RBN, we need the suffix of your name "Ola". Imagine having the prefix "hyper" and not adding the suffix "active" to it so we have the word "hyperactive". The adoption of "Ola" is a compromise Dad & Mom had to make just to avoid the murder of your name. A while ago I met an English lady at a training and we had our introductions. To my horror, she said ,"I can't get around your name, what if I call you Mary". "E ma gbami ke, Mary bawo?". A total stranger announcing to me that she had decided to "rechristen" me just because she thought it was too much of an effort to pronounce my name. Not like my name is even a tongue-twister like "shogolobangoshe". I had promptly and politely replied "Mary is not my name". She said "Alright, I will give it another try".
I honestly think the English people should stop expecting Africans to alter names just for their lazy comfort. They should put in a little more effort especially with names they are unfamiliar with. Can it be rocket science? I think we should also put in more effort just to ensure that they get our names right. Say it slowly and repeat it until they get it right. I agree that certain phonemes do not exist in some languages eg "Ope" is pronounced "Okpe" in Yoruba and yes people have regional accents. I however think that no one has the right to randomly "rechristen" someone just for their own convenience except you are adopting me as your child. A lot of times the English people try to anglicize my name but I had always had to painstakingly correct them, sometimes spelling out my name in the Nato Phonetic Alphabet(Alpha, Bravo, Charlie).
As for the use of flowery language by writers, I think this maybe subjective. it might be that they are trying to come across as intellectuals or that they are trying to paint a stimulating and dramatic picture and think that is the way to go. Even the Charles Dickens and Shakepeare that I read then were out of compulsion rather than for pleasure. As for me I read to unwind and I do not want to reach over for a dictionary while doing so.

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with oyinade's comment. Infact I love her. I look forward to more of her comments. My first time here and it is such a nice blog. No presence.

Ajetheboy said...

Oyinade's comments are fantastic, in fact erudite as usual. It leaves me wondering though if she lives in the western world and if she does, maybeself employed and has never had cause to apply for jobs.

I think "anonymous" who posted at 11.05am nailed it on the head. If you have to earn a living if you have one of those "kunta kinte" names, you probably WILL have a rethink and adopt a more pronounceable variety of you name. When you dont even get shortlisted for interviews, guess you wont have the luxury or opportunity of spelling your name phonetically to an employer.

Man must chop.

Ajetheboy said...

RBN, in response to your request/suggestion of a guest blogger, I suggest you discuss with Oyinade. She writes brilliantly well, and I think it will be a pleasure to read an article by her.

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

Dear Oyinade, like you I read to unwind so big big grammar can be a nuisance. But there is light at the end of that tunnel. It is called KINDLE (e-reader). Just hover on the word and hey presto
Works a treat.

Albanese aka Avenue said...

I didn't know we were allowed to nominate other people.
In that case, I nominate Iya Ibeji. FYI RBN: check your RBN inbox.

Iya Ibeji said...

That's what I'm talking about! Somebody knows my worth already! I'm not just a pretty face: Iya Ibeji for blog nomination! I am able o! I am ready! And to top it all I got skills! Watch this space!!!! RBN don't disgrace me o I beg you!!!!

Fine gal no pimples said...

Actually, I can't be a bad idea to let Iya Ibeji have a go! Her comments always bring a smile to my face! Ajetheboy, hope you will agree?

Ajetheboy said...

Fine girl, I agree. As long as she does not turn on her posh accent.

Anonymous said...

Ajetheboy, you are guilty of this particular blog's lamentations. You are attempting to anglicise and rechristen Fine gal. She isn't (assuming she is a 'she' and I am not femininising wrongly) Fine girl but a definite Fine gal.

Fine Boy Jonny said...

Aje The Boy

Haba see how you abandon ship for Fine gurl opinion!! Na so?? Dis life sef!

Ajetheboy said...

A thousand apologies. Mistakenly taking liberties and overreaching myself in the process. But think of it, why the qualification? It is either you are fine or not. Pimples does not come with the package. Abi, Fine girl.

Anonymous said...

For the last time, she is FINE GAL.....pimples or not.

Ajetheboy said...

Just went back to see the point you are persistently driving at. Girl spelt gal, whats the significant difference? No change in substance.

Anonymous said...

Therein lies the crux of the matter. Shallow though slippery slope to Mary aka Oyinade

Ajetheboy said...

I quite agree, very shallow. You interest me though. Would I be correct to assume you have something fundamentally missing in your life. You are like a rottweiler, bites on something no matter how intangible and refuses to let go. My advice, take it or leave it; get a life.

Anonymous said...

You are spot on. I am definitely missing something. Also, the rottweiler image will have many supporters amongst my acquaintances...... some of whom are definitely giggling. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. Just staying true to the blog. Chuffed to bits though, that I arouse your interest. For that alone, I will forgo 'a life'.

Ajetheboy said...

Fine Boy Jonny, I missed your comment yesterday. I was monitoring/analysing the elections inNaija, responding to a certain anonymous post on this blog amongst other things. Of note in your comment is the use of the word "gurl". As the anonymous rottweiler didn't pounce on you for descecrating the substitution of gal for gurl, I draw two conclusions. The word gurl was introduced by you for good measure to empasise the supposed point anonymous was making. I therefore sense a link. Two, it will be safe to consign you to the category of "supporters amongst my acquaintances" being referred to by anonymous in her last post yesterday. Or is it you posting as anonymous?

If anonymous was being true to the blog as claimed, then the persistent reference to the "clear" distinction between gal and girl wouldn't have mattered. The substance in the blog and comments thereafter were to the effect of rechritening or anglising names as she rightly pointed out. Case in mind, Oyinade for Mary. Her observation was so pedantic and shallow. In fairness to her, she agreed that it was shallow. I refer to her as a "she" cos of the giggly angle injected to her post.

I picture the scenario, anonymous draws Ajetheboy's attention to the commentators name as Fine gal and not Fine girl. Giggle giggle. Thats from the easily excitable supporters amongst the acquitances. She correctshim again, he still doesn't get it, more giggle giggle. How pathetic.

I have posted on this blog at least four times and my name is spelt as one word, Ajetheboy. One or two people have broken it down to three. I haven't sat down and made a meal of it.

Craw craw starts with a scratch. Heard that for the first time yesterday. The import of that is, if a scratch is not looked after promptly, it may fester into full blown craw craw. Hence the time I have devoted to "anonymous".
I do not intend to engage in any prolonged exchange with anonymous, but if for any reason she finds it neccessary to respond, then get an identity as I will not read any comments sent under an anonymous cover again.

Lastly, I didn't say you arouse my interest, I said you interest me. They are two different things.

RASHEEDAT said...

Haja Risi. E ku Ise o.(Greetings).
It is good to read another beautiful piece from you this week. My name is Rasheedatu. My name is the best thing that happened to me then and now. I am ever so proud of my name and I would not change it for the world or allow anyone in this part of the world or anywhere, who is disrespectful, lazy or arrogant to change my name or re-christen me. Surely this is not rocket science it's just a beautiful name with a lot of vowels for easy pronunciation. Boy, I love my name and I am very proud of it. 'Rasheedat', what a beautiful name.

My friends and family call me "Rashee" and I adore being called that.

My colleagues call me "Rash", I love it and I know it comes from a good place. If I am good my colleagues call me Rash, if I am bad, they call me Rasheeda, then I know I am in trouble.

A few years ago, I attended an external training course which lasted a week. We were all asked to introduce ourselves to the group. I was very happy and proud to introduce myself as Rasheedat. The facilitator was not too happy as it is difficult name for him to pronounce, this foreign/Arabic name. It was not Janet, Susan or Celia. The extra effort required to pronounce Rasheedat was not worth it for him! He then decided to re-christen me for the duration of the training. I was very confident and brave, not sure how that happened and I mumbled to myself, "he must be joking, if he feels he is going to re-christen me, he must be having a laugh"! I stood my grounds and said to him that, 'Fortunately' my name is Rasheeda, I love it and I'm very proud of it and unfortunately for you, I am going to remain Rasheedat"!!
Politely, I said to him, we have a week together and that he had better start to learn to pronounce my beautiful name with all those vowels. Reluctantly, he agreed and by the end of the day, he mastered the perfect pronunciation and we became best of friends.

Please do not allow a lazy, arrogant, who can't be bothered to respect you, to re-christen you just because it suits them. A little bit of effort and respect will show them that no matter how complex a name sounds it is pronounceable, if they can be bothered!

All the Risikatus, Tawakalitus, Shakiratus, Sherifatus, Rasheedats, Salawatus, Silifatus out there, appreciate your beautiful names and don't allow an idiot with no identity to re-christen you!

You are beautiful and your name is even more beautiful.
Celebrate your beautiful name and don't allow anyone with no "Oriki" to give you a name "ti won o so e "

Looking forward to the next piece.

Unknown said...

As for me looking forward now names (English or traditional) don't mean much to me but I decided to call my children my traditional names because I wanted them to have roots in my culture but have found out it does not matter as it is what you teach them about your culture that is important. As said above my children names are from my tribe but they have manage to change it to sound English does this mean they are ashamed Of their names NO but I suppose it makes them comfortable with their peers as for
me I don't really mind as some of your commetator and yourself have said the way these traditional names are pronounced is something but all the same the English names pronounced back home too is another thing to write about.
My name is an English name (some people still find it differcult to pronounce and wants to shorten it) and for a long time I wonder why I was given that name and
not my tribal name but now I don't care as names (pronounced properly or not) are not what makes us.


Anonymous said...

We surely are having a good debate on this subject. I have been having a good laugh and enjoying all the comments while some seem to have taken other peoples comments to heart.

Yes I am Anonymous but a new anonymous.


Mama Arinze! said...

I agree you with about getting a name write! I recently signed a gift aid form for my Church. As a result, I get a personally named box of small envelopes for my weekly contribution. Well two weeks ago,the priest announces that the envelopes for the new tax year are ready for collection after mass. I proudly walk to collect mine. I stood searching for the box for a couple of minutes until I find a box with what I assume is my name. It started with the wrong letter and had several other letters included that were incorrect! I was furious!! However, I had just freshly asked for forgiveness of my sins- having just left mass!I could not respond in my normal way for these reasons. However I have resolved that if this should happen again - All concerned will get a piece of my mind! I will pray for forgiveness immediately after!!

On another note - I am glad Risi has got her Mojo back! You see 'as well as quality (which was kindly pointed out last week)- Size really does matter!

Ajetheboy said...

Mama Arinze, getting a name "right" is important. Where words can be used and are used interchangeably is perfectly acceptable. Like "gal" and "girl" which actually means the same thing. A look at a dictionary (online or othetwise) may be of assistance.
So your case is different. You can regard that as rechristening.


Lola said...

That is like saying that if two names mean the same thing then we can use either name for a person.
My daughter's name is Zoe, so does that mean it is okay to call her Eve as they mean the same thing?

Ajetheboy said...

Lola. You have further simplified this over-flogged matter. Zoe and Eve are proper names AND cannot be used interchangeably despite having the same meaning. Girl and gal are not names but merely descriptive words and CAN be used interchangeably.

Think the message in the blog has been completely missed or lost in the unneccessary exchanges that has arisen therefrom.
It will probably be instructive to go back and read the blog to see what the real issue(s) raised there are.

Anonymous said...

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Anonymous said...

On this blog, Fine Gal is a name. Give it a rest.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure craw craw starts with an itch.

A FOLLOWER said...

Hello I'm back!
I've truly missed so much.
Na wa for all this qwanta about Fine 'gel' no pimples. I really hope she is that fine?
Where is she in this matter, she should come and give her views on the situation for ground.
I'm chewing kola as I dey watch this space.