Friday 7 August 2020

POUNDED YAM ON A MONDAY?



Hi guys TGIF, I’ve been sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting for a friend of mine to send me a pic before I posted today’s blog.

You see we all have our little idiosyncrasies so I was not really surprised the other day when this friend confides in me that she has a guilty pleasure. So I’m all ears expecting her to dish some real dirt and until she says it is actually food related πŸ™„

Tuesday: Jollof rice, fish, stewed beef, moinmoin & dodo 
           

She tells me that she has lunch delivered to her office daily. At the time I thought to myself kini big deal that’s no biggie after all there are people who order pizza everyday and while others do live on take-outs. That was until she further explained that her lunch is prepared by a Nigerian caterer who delivers the lunch to her office in the City of London, every afternoon Monday right through to Friday😳

Wednesday: Amala, fish stew, okra 
                                

Now she has my attention! I ask her how does that work, she then forwards a pic of her lunch she was eating at the time to me; a plate of pounded yam, seafood okra, efo riro with stewed shaki and beef on a Monday afternoon ‘in the abroad’ while I sat at my desk eating some wet limp salad leaves😩

Thursday: Asaro (yam porridge), fried plaintain with fish
                           

And then every lunch time this week she has sent me a pic of her daily bespoke office lunch to wind me up!

Friday: Dundun (fried yam) fried plaintain, fried sweet pepper with mackerel.


I do have a few questions for her though:
How do you stay awake after this kind of lunch time feast ? And what do the people at the office say?
What do you eat for ‘night’ food?
Do you eat breakfast?
How much do you spend on this weekly?
My friend, na only you waka⁉️

So guys which of her meals makes your mouth water? Personally it’s the fried yam for me. Do you have any secret quirky food habits you’d like to share?

Have a great weekend. 

“Carbs are the answer. No matter the question” 

πŸ’…

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Boom! A well-fed woman *(in her 50s) is a healthy woman! Coman beat me!

Kenny Sofowora said...

Does this person work in an office? Does she even do any work? How can? 5 days a week! And she calls herself your friend? Knowing that we don’t do lunch like this in London. She is not your friend o jare. I feel for you and you salad. ��. Jealousy done! Please introduce me to her and where exactly is her office so I can drop a msg for her lunchtime and go and eye her and her lunch. This is why they are not employing black people. #blackfoodmatter #amalaforlunch #unfriendlyfriends

Team healthy eating said...

Not sure whether I should laugh or cry. On the one hand my mouth is watering on the other this is sheer indulgence. Where I come from we have a saying that to much food makes one dull.
What kind of work does these lady do, labouring?and how much does she weigh (I’m not bodyshaming, I’m genuinely curious).

Ronkus said...

Wow!! Wow!!������ That is all I can say. Don’t let the carb police and keto enforcers see this blog, they might just shut it down!! We will protest sha! #Freedom of eating what you like, when it suits you!

Beatrice said...

Hmmmm, very interesting Office Menu Lunch. Well, give me Amala,Okra and Fish everyday.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I respect this sort of dedication and don't give a damness. Each to their own....i don't eat this in my house weekly talk less of daily!! Lol

Anonymous said...

Probably the only decent meal she eats for the day. Γ€wọn city slickers!! Rock on Lady....

Risi By Name said...

@ “Unknown” 7 August 12:19

Your speed to comment has not gone unnoticed, you also sound somewhat ‘defensive’ is there something we should know? πŸ‘€
Furthermore we the management at Risi By Name Blogspot do not condone glorification of violence πŸ˜‚

MCM πŸ™†πŸ½‍♀️ said...

Hello Risi, This madam doesnt need anaesthesia for surgery. chaii, daris god oh. Saw one big stout in one of the pictures. Wonder what that's for.

Esther Akingbade-olatunji said...

Waoooo, my mouth was surely salivating. The pounded yam delicacy did it for me. Am an Akure babe....😁. Though, I eat all this very sparingly as they are heavy . This is why it’s a delicacy for me. She sure loves her root meals though. I envy with salivated mouth and with imaginative aroma coming through my nostrils..okay am done .., am hungry

City Lawyer said...

Hi all,

That's my lunch Risi has blogged about.
And it's really not that deep. I love my 9ja food and I do not like to eat at night.

I have a smoothie or coffee in the morning. Snack around 11.30am. Eat “lunch” at 5ish. No dinner.
If I eat at 2, at 50+, I will definitely sleep. That can’t happen.

I am a solicitor with own practice. (Partnership) I do have staff, but I am ze boss.

It’s just that I am tired of spending money on food I don’t enjoy. So .......

However, there are weeks, I do the same with Italian or Caribbean food. I do love to eat. πŸ˜‚

Finally, I am a full size 12 or 13. I exercise daily.
I hope this answers all your questions. Selah

Fatai said...

Na wa o. They use to say that there is no room for apala in ilu oyinbo - not any more!
My question is that since she is so traditional, does she use the oyinbo cutleries or fingers with ‘omi ishanwo’ to sort out the okeles.
Answers please!!!.

DokWan said...

City lawyer,
Please tell the truth, and let the devil go away....hee hee
Unless your entire staff is 9ja, you must be an orthopaedic theatre nurse.
Only laminer air flow can deal with this.....

Any other suggestions or possibilities of career....��

Risi By Name said...

@Fatai @ 15:43
My friend is actually quite posh and not the ‘omi ishanwo’ kind of girl, cutlery more of her thing!

@Dokwan @ 16:22
She is a city lawyer with a mixed breed of staff who she likens to United Colours of Benetton. She believes they keep their opinions to themselves as per black lives matter and because she is their ‘cash cow’. However when looking for another job she’s convinced they’d probably cite ‘smelly food’ as their reason for resignation from her office.

DokWan said...

She sounds very polished accomplished and successful.
I love her 'deal with it' attitude.
Thank you for inhabiting your cultural skin proudly.
Shame on me for making you a theatre nurse.....
Anyone who resigns for that reason needs to stop using their face mask post haste.....

Demola Ijebu said...

Sharp salute
I must admit that I really admire her. Given the opportunity, I'll do the same thing.
I always fight hard not to do same but it is compulsory that I must eat heavy at night or else I would not be able to sleep and just continue to read the multiplication times table on the ceiling until I'm able to sneak downstairs into the kitchen for the eba, groundrice, amala, iyan, fufu, etc and then sneak back upstairs for the peaceful sleep.
And this opportunity doesn't come until around 1.30am when everyone in the house is completely asleep!

Anonymous said...

Zzzzzzzzzz. Na sleep after all this bera food oh. Where are the caterers details?

Nikky Africana said...

Ola interesting blog, the display of food made my mouth water - l prefer the Amaka okra and fish stew but l won't eat it at the office because l prefer to use my hands - l also like the Fried yam and peppers with Mackerel but again l will eat it at home

Belle of the Ball said...

...when did eating our own country food make us “traditional”
And I thought to myself this could be her main meal of the day...
Love her... # I do what I like!

Anonymous said...

Who on earth does that? Nuffing more to say, kissing my teeth, mtweee. Lol