Thursday 30 April 2020

LIFE AFTER....




Before the Social Distancing Brigade come for me with their sticks and stones, the picture above was taken Pre-Lockdown, New Year’s Day 2020 to be precise!
I was flicking through some pics on my phone and stumbled upon it. At the time this pic represented one big family. Post-Lockdown ‘Game ti change’ as this photograph now represents 5 separate households 😷\ 😷 \😷 \😷 \πŸ˜·πŸ™ˆ  who are NOT allowed/supposed to mingle with each other and if they do they are expected to stay 2 metres apart. Who ever knew?


Welcome to Social Distancing (SD) 101, now where do I beginπŸ€” I was jisting with a friend, Modupe recently about not wanting to blog at the moment due to the current COVID -19 climate. My thoughts being that I didn't think readers would be interested in my usual frivolous content. She assured me that for her personally, this was not the case as she needed a distraction from the matter on ground. She went on to say that she only listens to news headlines once a day as they are just too depressing.
She recently celebrated a lockdown birthday and had spent the day having a surprise BBQ set up by her hubby and children. She explained that she had been so content to celebrate with just her nearest and dearest around her.

On my return from Naija earlier this week, I was taken aback by the observance of SD here, not child's play at all. The first thing I did was to rush to the pharmacy to pick up my overdue prescription medication, when I later mentioned this to a friend of mine who happens to be a NHS worker she explained as I am currently self isolating I should not have left my house. She pointed out that I had put the pharmacist at risk 😱and that I could have simply requested to have my meds delivered to me at home. I didn't know, though ignorance of the law is no excuse.  How times have changed!

In Naija the irony for me about Social Distancing was the security guards who measure our temperature before we are allowed in banks, stores, pharmacies are not wearing masks they are literally on top of you neither are they observing the 2 metres gapπŸ€”
While clearing immigration at airport on my return journey ‘fingerprint capture’ was required but was not ‘capturing’ properly. Rather than officer asking me to press harder on the glass he just places his hand on top of my fingers and presses so hard 😒. Nigerian’s and personal space walking hand in hand like water and oil since 1800 BC 😩. Imagine while getting my passport photo taken by a photographer before I knew it he had come to me and tucked my dangling braid behind my ears 😳😱

So now here we are on Lockdown, going back to our natural habitat. Isn't it amazing how much we take for granted? All those personal services we no longer have access to. My mind goes to a certain Naija Z-List celebrity, during a very messy public breakup from his spouse, she alleged that his behaviour was so unreasonable particularly his vanity, apparently this guy was getting his hair trimmed by his barber TWICE week to maintain his baby face fine boy looks πŸ‘ΆπŸΎ. In addition to his vanity shannanigans, he was making nocturnal phone calls as his wife slept, to his side chick who he disguised as a contact on his phone under the pseudo ‘Edible Catering’ πŸ‘€ I’m just wondering who is going to contour his fine boy hairline edges now that barbers have downed toolsπŸ€”

Likewise ladies with their cornrows under their wigs that have started to turn to ‘dada’ dreadlocks due to lack of care…..How market? πŸ™‹πŸΎNeed I mention groomed acrylic nails, threaded eyebrows and waxes. Found myself in a pickle when in naija when I made the mistake of loosening my plaits and decided to rock my natural hair…..big mistake after the first day the humidity shrank the hair and it started to tangle and I ashamedly admit that as I don't know how to plait hair I started to look untidy as no hairdresser available. I eventually asked a nearby nail technician to come and plait the hair for me. Yes you've read me right, a nail technician! Her plaits were not really neat but the purpose to contain my uncontrollable afro was achieved.

Stores now have tape on the floor as a guide marking the 2 metre distance to be observed between customers. When we walk down the road and you see someone approaching, we quickly move to the other side. For me personally it becomes a game to see who is the first to dodge! Face masks gradually gaining ground here, main advantage with with these is your creditors are unlikely to recognise you. 😷😜
My White Trainer


I saw a meme depicting that previously ‘No phones were allowed inside classroom, but now classroom is now inside the phone’ ☎️  We have parents home schooling their kids, my sister has been run rugged as she creeps around the house trying to be as quiet as possible as her kids attend online classes via video link daily while also attending to their technical glitches.  She has morphed into IT support engineer. πŸ€“

The lockdown has also brought a number of characters to the forefront, the silent Whatsapp members who had previously watched from the sidelines for years under the pretext that they are busy and ‘in a meeting’ have now started to talk and become active on forums, the social media over sharers have taken it to another level and are sharing more. In Naija some pervy ‘unku’s’ are having a time of their life as bored young ladies take to ‘Instagram Live’ to twerk semi nude. These men egg them on as the girls, wait for it…..pour yoghurt all over themselves  πŸ™ˆπŸ‘€πŸ˜±.
Young ladies please gather here for some aunty Risi advice, remember one day when you are contesting to become Naija’s 1st female president, these your 2020 COVID -19 Twerking Videos are going to resurface and haunt you as we are such an unforgiving patriarchal society.

People who have never engaged in any form of exercise are out and about appreciating nature, boring us silly with their humble brag snapshots of the ‘Proverbial’ 10,000 footsteps they have made each day πŸ™‹πŸΎπŸ˜guilty as charged.

Ladies rumour has it that there are 3 ways one can complete this lockdown i.e. Pregnant, fat or slim. Which one are you?

The term ‘Thank God it's Friday’ is currently redundant as every day now feels like Friday. The world is never going to be the same 🌎

What effect has COVID-19 Lockdown had on you?


E de clear pimple, e dey clear pimple……na so bleaching de start - Pidgin Proverb

πŸ’…πŸΎ



19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow parents becoming IT support engineers. Funny the early videos when deliveries were made and those items sprayed with disinfectant has now become the norm. My domestics only leave the house once in 3days, obviously with a mask. When they get back they have a bath, wash their clothes and change. They then wash my items before handing over to me.
Think I'm going loopy

Tatenda said...

Haha! Loved this. “Your creditors are unlikely to recognise you. ����”. Brilliant and observations - very well written Tete Ola xx

DokWan said...

Thank you, Risi, for part 2.

I am the Exercise Humble Bragger. The irony is that I am still fat.
This COVID-19 world is all messed up.....��

Belle of the Ball said...

This picture really captures the narrative of the effect of the lockdown as a result of covid 19.All we have now are memories plus phone calls! To think some of us in that picture now dodge behind closed doors when checked upon.☺️
The photographer’s scenario is so funny: and if you had flinched to show any discomfort, I bet that would have gone unnoticed πŸ˜€
Life was initially exciting with the thought of working from home and being able to have a lie in and then joining the ultimate taking to the kitchen trend.
Fear had to be dissipated with being more prayerful with all the reports on the news as well as a NHS hubby going into work everyday!
We now have some form of routine especially with online schooling starting. Lounge clothes have given way to semi smart in case I accidentally feature on my kids google classroom.
And... conscious effort being made not to come out of lockdown pregnant or overweight. 😊😁

Seyi said...

Indeed, the world is not going to be the same again, but what will it look like?

MUMMYDUN said...

Lockdown has given me the opportunity of doing things in common with family, cooking together & gym time every morning without fail. I will surely end the lockdown with a better looking me. I refuse to be fat because apart from my daily exercise, I will not eat thrice a day. Lockdown has given me the opportunity to learn how to bake. I can now make carrot and vanilla cake. I can also now make pizza from scratch. In the past, I could only do puff puff and buns.
My lockdown experience has been great. I am looking forward to my son's lockdown 30th birthday next week. It is also looking like my daughter might have a lockdown wedding (we shall see) πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

Uche said...

Imagine this home online schooling. I have 3kids under 10. Apart from asking for school fees, do they expect me to buy 3 laptops.
I tire oh

Kikky Fabulous said...

I'm cooling, just typed and cant find my writing. Coming back later����

Mosh said...

I have chosen to be intentionally optimistic... ...I have decided to be better version of my pre-lockdown self though my nails are a mess, I am tryna make the most of this time....

keep writing Ola, love the fact that every time I read your blog it brings a smile or peels of laughter

Alatenumo said...

This is a historical document that could be used to explain to future generations what the great lockdown of the 2020s was all about.

Unknown said...

E dey clear pimples......lol
That really got me.

Kuda said...

Lockdown for me has meant paying a childminder 50% of her monthly bill for 3 weekly sessions of 5minutes. It doesnt make sense. Covid 19 doesnt make sense either
Funny but real blog. Made me realise I dont know how to spent the day with my toddler but we have had many happy moments and no one knows how long this will continue...

Anonymous said...

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚Hilarious and thought provoking.

COVID-19/Lockdown has truly disrupted our social and cultural lives, the serious prayer should be, may it not be forever IN JESUS MIGHTY NAME. AMEN

S.O. said...


LIFE AFTER (in Nigeria) is just loading and will begin next Monday.

I can't figure out how Social Distancing will work here after the lock down.

GRACE is the currency Nigeria will be spending the the next 12 to 18 months.

It's really scary but God is on His Throne and He sure loves us.

Unknown said...

True talk Risi. This covid19 no be joke oooo. Imagine you leaving Niger without our usual hangout.ko sele riii!!!

Esther Akingbade-olatunji said...

Oh my! I loved this. Rib cracking to the core. It definitely provoked laughter and tears to my eyes. Unassumingly, most of this things were not depicted but all surfaces now due to COVID 19. It’s scary out there but we pray for this pandemic to subside. Regarding your rhetorical questionπŸ˜‚ after COVID 19; I have eaten the house out... this answers your curiosity .
Excellent piece OlatundeπŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½.

Eleha said...

Aunty Risi. E ka bo o. Thanks for the piece. Well deserved distraction for me and I can identify with your thoughts. I have had the time to reflect on life and priorities. Not taking anything for granted anymore, especially my freedom. Can we imagine being taken down by this unseen enemy, which has turned the world upside down? I now appreciate waking up in the mornings and rushing for my 7:46 or 8:06 train. I appreciate my work space and colleagues more, human interaction with my clients, especially the horrible ones.

I no longer look forward to Friday’s, my favourite day of the week as every day is Friday now. Usually, I grumble about going out on visits. I was so excited about my last two visits, which were for about 10 minutes max each and it cost my employer 80.00 pounds per trip. I have refused to travel on the bus or underground.
I have been able to save, no trips to the west end on the pretence of going window shopping, don’t have to spend on monthly travel card.
This world emergency is a life changing experience and my life will never be the same. I am paying attention to what matters, that is, what I need and not what I want, I don’t need much clothes, I have not bought any since January and I am still alive. Queues for food are endless and discouraging, I have so much in my freezer and stored in my kitchen cupboards, there is no need to buy more.

I have a lot of time on my hands to think deeply and make better decisions, interacting more with family and friends that I have missed so much but just coming that realisation, going for two or three hours walk everyday, effortlessly, paying in-depth attention because I am not rushing.

This pandemic has been a blessing in disguise but I can only take so much of it. I have accepted and learning to live with it. C19 is not going away any time soon, we just have to learn to manage this situation, it will live it’s course, some day, some year, there will be a solution in the form of a vaccine or drugs , hopefully and life will back to normal, that is if we remember what normal is like at the end of it all. I have experienced unintended consequences, negative and positive, that is life. For now I am rolling with the flow, accepted what I can’t change, make the most of this challenging situation, do the little I can to make my neighbour happy, make the world a better place through little donations here and there. I am so thankful and grateful for what I have been blessed with in this world. I am never going to complain again about what I don’t have. One thing I Know for sure is, I am loved and I find that most humbling. No amount of lockdown/c19 can take that away from me. Love is the most beautiful feeling in this life, be it from your friends, your children, family, significant half or from an unexpected source. Keep well and stay safe. There is a bright light at the end of the tunnel, it is only a matter of time before it becomes visible to us all. Stay blessed and keep loving. The only medication for C19 and lockdown.

These comments are a reflection of the amount of time I have on my hands. My intention is to pen a few lines, I ended up with many more.

Nikki Africana said...

Well done Ola very interesting, you did not leave out any detail about the lock down.

l don't like the fact that l have to sit with one of my girls to make sure she actually does the work from school but my other daughter just gets on with it.

l have learnt how to make Banana bread, the lock down makes me spend more time in the kitchen and has helped me to show the girls how to cook.

Dela said...

I know my neighbors more now in the past 5 weeks when we meet every Thursday to clap for the NHS and keyworkers than l've done in the past 26 years living on my street. It's a great community vibe! Think l might just organise an after lockdown street rave just to keep the community spirit going!