Friday 13 March 2015

THE MICROWAVE!

       

I showed image at the top of this post to a little 4 year old I know and asked him what it was, he replied "it's a microwave". I told him it was actually a TV and went on to explain that back in the 'olden' days that's what they looked like.

The way things are going, very soon none of the youngsters will know what a TV is  because watching programmes on laptops, hand held devices and smart phones has become the norm.
In fact, here's a test case: Send a child on an errand '"Go and get 'Grandma' 'tablet' from her bedroom" (you know we tend to drop the letter 'S' from our words, neither do we use the word 'please'!) 30 minutes later this child would not have come back as they are under the bed looking for the non-existent, small touchscreen computer rather than Grandma's 'Panadol' right there on the bedside table under their nose.


Back in the day, our television of blessed memory, took pride of place seated on the room divider in the 'Parlour'. It was sacred!
My two brothers and sister (The Crew) dare not touch it, talk less of watch it without the expressed consent of our parents. And when we were allowed, it was usually as a reward for either completing some school homework or after a glowing report of progress by the 'lesson teacher'. 
We were so easily pleased, ordinary TV adverts would excite us, because of the viewing restriction limits placed on that screen.   

But what we 'The crew' lived for were those long weekend trips my parents frequently made to our village, Okun Owa, Ijebu.
Yaaaaay!!! I've put my village on the map, been wondering how to weave that one in. 
Come to think of it I lie o, we produced the first set of identical twins in Africa and third in the world to have lived up to the age of 100 years! Yet another useful fact you guys can thank me for at a later date!

Anyway back to the matter, once we were sure that our parents were going to Okun Owa and would not be taking us along, the secret jubilations began. In the run up to D-Day The crew would be of best behaviour as they knew for that weekend as the first-born child I was 'Top-dog' they would be solely at my mercy. On that Friday as my parents drove off they could not have reached end of street before 'The crew' all rush to 'on' the TV and we start our weekend festivities of TV with a quick prayer that Nepa (electricity supplier) should not fail us. 

As the 'egbon' (oldest) I get pride of place in front of TV, my feet are up on my mum's treasured coffee table (they weren't called coffee tables back then not sure of phrase). I'm firing out orders to The crew, my sister has to make me chilled bournvita with ice 'block' floating inside. 
TV volume is up to the max. 
I've set task for the The Crew to learn the lyrics of Earth, Wind & Fire's ' Let this groove' before the end of the weekend, you're wondering why abi? I'm embarrassed to admit this but back then I often used my brothers and sister as light entertainment whenever my friends came to visit. I would line them up and they had to sing to my friends, they were a bit like the Von Trapp Family from The Sounds Of Music, only I made them sing much 'funkier' songs than "Doe a deer, a female deer..."
Over the years The Crew continue to remind me of this favourite 'bully girl' tactic of mine. They claim it was ever so humiliating for them, unnecessary and uncalled for. 
(So here goes, The Crew, all three of you: Ah, Ak and Ta, please 'free' me I beg, I've confessed, it's out there, let's move on, this matter is more than 20+ years old!!)

That TV remains on for as long as Nepa permits, the list is long, the interlude music videos were our favourites though, both the 'away'(foreign) ones and the local ones like Uncle Felix Liberty 'I'm your lover boy' Dizzy K Falola's (his jerry curled hair dripping with curl activator), 'Excuse me baby'. Our dear Late Sonny Okosun's 'Fire in Soweto'

There was so much thrill in watching 'stage managed' WWF wrestling with Mill Mascaras, Mighty Igor and Argentina Apollo!

And how can we forget our Home Grown Naija Dramas; Cock Crow At Dawn, Village Headmaster, Samanja, New Masquarade, Bassey & co, Mirror In The Sun, but an all time fav of mine was "Jacob, Aluwe and Papilolo" The comedy was on another level. 
There was also one crazy programme about Nigeria's colonial days, where they had a village court with an oyibo (he was in fact, just fair complexioned!) judge and his a crazy interpreter that would just be translating rubbish into Igbo. I think programme was called Icheioku.  
Not to talk of those Argentinean films or were they Spanish? with the English voice-over 'The Rich Also Cry', we found this particular drama so captivating. If one episode ended with lead actress, Maria, licking a spoon, roll on to the next week's episode, I assure you that spoon would still be in her mouth!!! How and why we enjoyed watching such is really beyond me. 

I now "fast forward' this long weekend, it's around 4pm on Sunday evening, by now our eyes are same shape as the TV, rectangular! We 'off' the television. We go to the freezer and bring out any solid frozen item and rub along top of the tv for about 15 minutes. We then all 'carry' our book and face the dining table to study. About 5pm we hear the familiar purring sound of the family car parking, we all rush downstairs. "Hello Mummy" "Hello Daddy" we chorus as we start to unload the car. 

"Hello children, how have you been, has every thing been ok? Hope you have been reading your books and not watching too much telly" Dad asks as he walks over to the TV, placing his hand on the top surface feeling for any tell tale signs of radiated heat. 
TV obviously is iced cold!!
I shudder at the thought of the TV's 'Mileage' for that weekend alone. 

Can you imagine the youth of today watching the same programmes we did?

A big thanks to you guys, the comments on last week's Mind Your Language! post were 'off the hook' I was really entertained by the sayings of all those parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents out there. 
And your concern over 'The Abeni Prosecution' matter!!
As for Okafor's Law.......I'M NOT EVEN GOING THERE!!!
We had a name dropper bantering Buhari's name and his 'alleged' Hausa sayings. 
And even a few Yoruba linguists in the building, correcting my spelling. For the record I think in Yoruba, process these thoughts in Arabic, from there they are filtered in Hebrew and the finished goods are what you see on written on this blog. 
And last but not the least an illegal unregistered Essex based Risi fan club, gate crashed our 'pari' as well!

On that note, Thank God It's Friday, have a great weekend, over and out!


Better to write for yourself and have no public, than write for public and have no self ~ Cyril  Connelly. 

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were forced to learn Shalamar, Kool and the Kang etc. When Funke or Yemi came over, egbon will ask us to line up and we will sing let's groove tonight, share the spice of life...

Also remember LWT and the Chinese and Indian programmes like Big Boss, Burning Train etc.

Alatenumo Xavi

Mama ibeji said...

Throwing a serious tantrum here " I wanna be first to write in dis blog today. " Rolling on the floor. Niajia style. Coffee table = centre table. No more, no less. In those days we had great respect for TV . "Ask before you switch it" Imagine telling today's children to give telly the same reverence to the TV regardless of how flat,how big, how smart,how HD...... They would be like " it's only a TV mum!!! True talk!

Mama ibeji

A FOLLOWER said...

My uncle kept his telly in a caninet that had lock and key! And when it was opened at weekends if we try to change the channel he would shout do u want to spoil it. Why are u pressing the buttons anyhow.
My children would think I'm crazy if we pulled such a stunt.

Anonymous said...

I remember Mod Squad at 8pm on Wednesday, I think. We were allowed extra half hour till 8:30 to watch it before bedtime.

How dare you suggest that anything Essex is illegal.

Anonymous said...

remember padlocked phone

I love nandos

Risi By Name said...

Wow!!
Boyz & Girlz could 'tap' for England!

Kikky Fabulous said...

Sis Ola,

Seriously,I have a bone to pick with you (well not exactly your fault) as our niece thinks I am copying you by owning a blog.See my life!.

How in this world did you remember Argentina apollo(ROTFL),i can't be believe it-I'm sure you know where i borrowed that statement from too.Post is funny,funny,funny.

Ajetheboy said...

Anyone from my generation out there? Star Trek, Bonanza, Soul train, Take a trip?

Unknown said...

Nostalgia. I really miss those days. We were the Jackson Five!

Fine Boy Jonny said...

In my opinion the film 'I spit on your grave' was one of the best. Come and see vengeance.

Foluke Ogunsekan said...

Goodtimes!!

Unadulterated fun, I'm sorry for our kids.
The innocence of our society is shattered.

By the way Ola, you need to stop this "egbon", " top dog", "first born"...........ati be be lo(and so on and so forth)
It sows discord among siblings and puts undue pressure on all you aja nla's (aka top dog)

Anyways on a lighter note
"Icheioku" gives me memories of my late father
He firmly embraced the shorts and safari suits thing.
I actually inherited one of his shorts!!!

Finally
Risikatu, Ile ise yin ko ni jono should in case ti o ba jono, insurance je gbese ni yen. (Your work place will not burn and par adventure insurance company will suffer)

Anonymous said...

Definitely those were the good times. My memory lane takes me back to all old folks tales, the drama with amebo in village headmaster, Tosan mirror in the sun, the girigori okabobo. ..forgot the name of the show. Apologies for any spelling checks. I used to be entitled to 30 minutes per day during the week. Very upsetting. I couldn't watch my favourite programme fully as my mum would place me on condition; I am allowed either the first half or latter half of my program.
When I think back now, it's hilarious. I tried this tactics on my children but you guessed it . It didn't work.
The era now is polluted with different machines used as technology. Though, it's all good but it makes them lose their self. Yemi ( Esther )

Anonymous said...

Those were the days. If you wanted to watch another channel, you would have to get up and start turning the nub with the attendant loud clicks. Paka paka paka. We were pleased by very little and looked forward to TV time. Rising, you are still the Top dog. That is God's doing and it is marvellous in our sight. Tola.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the four year old who felt the image of the olden day TV is a microwave. It is unbelieveable that TVs are that compact these days. Yes it will normally be located in the 'Palour' on the side board or on the divider.
Thanks for educating us about the identical twins who lived up to the age of a hundred in your village. It may be worth reminding the Queen's office, if they are still alive.
Egbon, you 'abused and bullied' your younger ones big time. You are Lucky they didn't rebel. Bless them.

We looked forward to programmes such as Cock Crow at Dawn, Village Head Master, Mirror in the sun etc.
We created parties when there was none to attend, we enjoyed and danced to Cool and the Gang, Earth, Wind and Fire, etc. Fela was fun, we enjoyed listening and dancing to his music. I really do miss those wonderful days. If i could turn back time, I would.


Risi By Name said...

Anon 14 March @ 20:09
Sadly one of the Okun Owa Centenarian twins who celebrated their 100th year birthday on 13 March 2013, Mrs Emily Kehinde Ogunde passed away on Thursday 5th September, 2013 while having a nap. She is survived by her twin sister, Mrs Esther Taiwo Olukoya, who has remained inconsolable after the news was broken to her.
Coincidentally, she was married to the Late Chief Hubert Ogunde and assisted him in his theatre business back in the day.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. We live and learn. Very useful information.

Anonymous said...

Please plas plos (as we used to say). We were very posh. Our black and white TV was turned to color by putting a plastic blue, green, yellow and red sheet in front of it.
When the volume on the big TV went bad, we put a small TV behind and had to remember that when you changed the channel on the big TV you had to change the small one also.
How times have changed.

Risi By Name said...

Anon 15 March 19:19
I'm on a roll this weekend and I have all the time in the world for this blog.
I'm sitting here, feet up, sipping my malt, reading this comment and literally choking!!!

Mama Arinze! said...

Gosh, did all Nigerian parents touch the tv like heat seeking missiles?!! I must say my parents did not engage in such like activity but they were vigilant non the less. My brother and I were experts at listening out for our parents footsteps coming downstairs. Even when my Dad tried to sneek down quietly (often tried this)- we were rarely caught!

Anonymous said...

Deaconess Risi, incidentally, I was born and grew up in that part of Ijebu, suburb of Okun Owa. My earliest recollection of TV was when I go to Lagos during school holidays. All the TV programmes mentioned above were all familiar to me but nobody mentioned "my pikin friday", "awada kerikeri", and the likes of Ade Love, Duro Ladipo,etc.
Fortunately, I was the only kid living with my gran parents in Ijebu, I was treated like a 'mini king'. And whenever I go to Lagos, I was treated like a celebrity by being the only kid on the block that couldn't speak Yoruba but was only speaking Ijebu. Obviously, I was popularly kown as Baba Ijebu.......Demola

FTA said...

I don't blame the little 4-year old because it really does look like microwave. I wonder how television will look in 20 years time.
Hmmmm, l remember our parents would lock the 'parlour' whenever they were not around to prevent us from watching foreign movies because of the kissing scenes they considered immoral. And when we watched together with our parents, you would be asked to close your eyes any time kissing scenes were shown, lol Therefore, we (children) look forward to watching local movies like cockcrow at dawn, village headmaster, Baba Sala ,Awada kerikeri etc. because of the unrestricted access we had to the local programs without our parents breathing down our necks.
Technology has changed all that. Now if you tell a child not to watch television, like you rightly said, there are other gadgets - phones, iPads, laptops etc. available for the child

Unknown said...

Brilliant entry as ever, Risi. Soooooo many memories! Keep it coming. I love it. I've laughed so much this evening.

Unknown said...

Ps: I can't believe you used to humiliate your siblings as performing seals. Shame on you........ Loooooooool

Anonymous said...

Over the weekend I shared the contents of your blog with some cousins of mine. They narrated how their children would pretend to be engrossed in their homework whenever they heard the sound of their parents' car, when all along they had been watching TV! The TV screen would be hot to the touch and the children never learnt to get away with it, like you and your siblings did.

New technology takes me back to when long playing records (LPs- 78) were produced. My older brother had just qualified as a teacher and brought home his new music collection to show off. While he was having his bath, he left the record playing. The music continued, without stopping. In my mind, I started to abuse him for being so selfish. Getting in and out of the bath to change the records. Can't he wait until he has finished having his bath before he changes his music. You see, it was my duty to clean the bathroom, Now I was annoyed that I will have to mop the floor because he kept jumping in and out of the bath. As soon as he was out, I rushed to the bathroom to check the state of the room. It was dry! Imagine my shock. So, he was very considerate and he has wiped the floor, I thought. But the record continued to blast the different songs. I run into the sitting room, and there it was an LP and not a single one playing. I was amazed. Mind you, I was only an eleven year old girl in 1966. How the times have changed since then and no one plays their music on old gramophones!
Looking forward to reading your new topic! BMW

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

"Prophetic Lyrics"
I risk the wrath of "religious" folk when I state that you don't need a pulpit to be a prophet.
It is unfortunate that one so talented and ahead of his time was also a crazy fellow.
The lascivious dancing of "Fela's shrine girls" that was deemed shameful is now mainstream.
Beyoncé, Rihanna, Lady Gaga et al pls form an orderly queue behind "abami eda"

I live in hope when I think of Nigeria. David Diols vision for Africa springs to mind.
I choose to see Nigeria as a "tree, young and strong, splendidly alone amidst white and faded flowers, springing up anew, springing up patiently, obstinately, whose fruit bit by bit acquires the taste of Liberty"
NIGERIA MY NIGERIA