Friday 23 January 2015

BECAUSE I'M YOUR MOTHER THAT'S WHY!






I visited a garden centre over the summer hols where they had a wide range of fridge magnets with comical and inspirational messages accompanied by a lovely picture. The image at the top of this post is the one that caught my fancy and which I bought for the following reason:

Where I come from (a phrase you folk will be hearing constantly on this blog!) the word 'mother' when used as in the above message can be swapped with any of these other words; father, auntie, uncle, teacher, older sister/brother or elder. In full context message would read like
this ' Because I am your elder that's why your argument is invalid, so don't even think of questioning me or arguing with me' These words could be spoken to a child, young person, teenager or adult depending on the circumstances. As a matter of fact the words do not even need to be spoken, they can be acted out and I'm going to display this by sharing a true life experience with you.


My daughters love to attend what they call 'Nigerian parties' these could be weddings, landmark birthdays, engagements, naming ceremonies or simply the 'I-have-arrived-I-want-to-spend-my-money' parties. The whole dressing up for the occasion, tasty food in abundance, loud Naija hip-hop music supplied by DJ or a band, mingling with other teenagers in attendance and the general vibe really excites them.
They do have one major bugbear about attending these parties though, and its what they call the hindrance of those 'random uncles'. I overheard them talking about this the other day and I was intrigued. 

For purposes of this post I've called them into my room as I write and asked them to define what is a 'Random Uncle' . They explain that a random uncle is a man (unknown to them) at a 'Naija' party that wears sunglasses even though he's inside a building and obviously not a ray of sunlight is in sight, just sitting there continuously adjusting the sleeves of his agbada (Nigerian male outfit) over his shoulder, not smiling or anything, toothpick glued to one corner of his mouth, constantly hissing out at children walking by with orders for them to top-up his plate with puff puff, rice, meat, small chops but mostly they request for the child to get them drinks.
My girls claim this is so annoying, that it happens at most parties and that they now make a game of it, betting each other and friends at parties who can get from one end of the hall to the other without being hijacked. They say they can be sent to the food service points a number of times by up to 3 to 4 different random uncles and that they have to queue each time and it takes the fun out of the party! The worst part they claim is when they bring back the food to the random uncle's table they rarely get a thank you but rather after a few seconds of inspecting the plate a grunt of ' Ah ha, why only chicken and meat don't they have cow-leg or fish?'
I asked them what about 'random aunties' or weren't they also guilty of this type of behaviour, they said no because most aunties prefer to serve the food themselves (do I sense a bit of sexism going on here?).

Anyway I hold my breath and ask the girls the all important question ' well if you dislike serving random uncles food at Naija parties why don't you just say sorry I'm not allowed to talk with strangers, and walk away?' And their response makes me feel I must be doing something right as a mum as they burst out laughing and ask me how would they dare not? That it would be so disrespectful not to because he is older than them and it's just what they have to do. And if the matter was reported to me they would be in big trouble. And they go on to say furthermore it is no different from when I've call them from their bedroom to get me a glass of water when I'm actually downstairs and much closer to the kitchen than them! (Yes I have been known to do this on occasion but I ran such errands for my mum, she did it for her mum, and her mum for my great grand mum and life goes on, so kini big deal!!)
The girls explain that they may have these thoughts but they just understand it is the 'done' thing in our culture. They went on to say it's even more important to be respectful to people they meet when they go out than to me at home (really girls, seriously??)

Back in the day the way it worked where I come from was when anything was asked of you by an elder whether you liked or not you must 'Obey first, complain later' on second thoughts you just obeyed and there was no forum for complaints!!! You just did not ask 'why' it was not debatable. Even as a grown woman it was always 'yes mummy'
And I guess you guys likewise remember how it was back then and could tell a tale or two!



Thanks for all your feedback, comments and follows. I've had so much fun with this blog. I find that it's your comments that really add value to what I am doing. You'll notice that comments on my second post 'Out Of The Mouth Of Babes!' have been much more playful and interactive, we have a gradual build up of banter and a few regular 'commentators' namely Deji, FTA, Tola, Demola, Alatenumo, Mummy Dun, Foluke and HipHopPsych. I'm aware that there are still some teething problems with the posting of comments and I appreciate the fact that some of you have found work rounds to posting, like posting under anonymous then signing name at the end. Please can I ask that you continue to try or maybe some of the 'IT Gurus' in the building may give us a few tips. 

In other breaking news, the posters of the first five comments on my next post will receive an exclusive 'Risi By Name Blog' Hamper. And this is where I need your help guys; in addition to a pack of St.Louis sugar, Blue band butter, Cabin biscuits, Milo, a tin of Geisha, Lipton tea, Goody-Goody toffee and Peak milk, what other luxury items do you suggest could be added to this list? Please use your imagination!

So all you random uncles and aunties out there, stop bothering the young ones, thank God it's Friday and have a great weekend.


33 comments:

Unknown said...

I was all ready to comment on the main gist of the article until I got to the part about: ......."St.Louis sugar, Blue band butter, Cabin biscuits, Milo, a tin of Geisha, Lipton tea, Goody-Goody toffee and Peak milk........." Looooooooooool. Memories of my 'provisions' for boarding school come flooding in. Boy, those were the good, good, good old days!!!!

PS: Do they really still make all of those items?! (I know they still make Geisha cos they stock it in Tesco!!)

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

Gimme lighter, shebi, shebi we're on fire, kini big deal!!
I can hear my lovely child saying "if there is no big deal, then do it yourself"! followed by the look of disapproval
Me i jus ignore jare.
"eni woju iyawo lo mo pe o sunkun".


Unknown said...

As for the 'Random Uncles' .................... I don't go to Naija parties but I remember them from my time back home (nothing much ever changes). The difference is that back then we could get out the errand. As you know, the settings for parties back home is much larger. Well they were back in the day anyway. Spread outside over a whole compound, or field with no barriers of doors and windows. Food and drink were usually served behind house. It was very easy to make your way round the back, get hijacked by a random uncle, take his order but totally ignore it, and avoid him by going a different way back to my seat!!!! Truth is, he'd probably had so many drinks by then, he doesn't remember sending you on the errand anyway..................... LOL.

In the small, enclosed settings of today's parties over here, I suppose that's not possible. So girls, just do as uncle says, yeah? Soz!

PS: How come other people got honorable mentions and I didn't? (Alatenumo? That's just blatant nepotism!) Not happy. At All!

Anonymous said...

Yes. When we younger, the word "why" had no place in your dictionaries. Because I say so is still being used by me though it does not yield the expected reward. On a lighter note, please add Morgan pomade and Vaseline petroleum jelly to the hamper. Love you and the blog. Tola

Anonymous said...

Random uncles and aunties can be found in all black communities! We just love to send the younger ones to do things for us! When I was much younger, you always ran before they finished calling out your name, or else you ended up being punished for not answering an elder in time!
Please can add "Lactogen milk" to my hamper, I am not sure if this is still available. It was my favourite milk, when I was a young girl! BMW

Aburo Remi said...

Two lines got me cracking in this post :

1)They explain that a random uncle is a man (unknown to them) at a 'Naija' party that wears sunglasses even though he's inside a building and obviously not a ray of sunlight is in sight.....

They sound more like entertainer uncles lol

2)Yes I have been known to do this on occasion but I ran such errands for my mum, she did it for her mum, and her mum for my great grand mum and life goes on, so kini big deal!!)....

Seriously? what happened to the whole adoption of the 21st century mum thingy , i mean why punish these kids now ....lol ...just kidding oo

Great stuff , loving every bit of it ... keep it coming "Random Auntie" :)

Anonymous said...

Am enjoying this, this is great "Random Uncles" ...... we uncles are in problem now oh. Who is going to defend us. However "Uncles".....lets be considerate and learn to say thank you. Deji.

Anonymous said...

Because blood will always be thicker than...

Alatenumo X

Anonymous said...

I hope I don't fall into the random uncle category


Alatenumo X

Anonymous said...

The girls should count themselves lucky and blessed with a reasonable mum:Lol. My 'random auntie' would call me from upstairs to get something from the coffee table that was right in front of the settee where she sat watching NTA news back in the days! And it had to be done cheerfully. Real obey without( before) complain.
As per the contents of the hamper, tomato puree aka tinned tomato as got to be there. BB.

Anonymous said...

It is our tradition that has been passed down from centuries
from i luv nandos

Anonymous said...

Nice stuff. Unfortunately, the kids back home these days are not brought up that way. Can you even send any Naija kid living in Naija such errand? It is my belief that we have a crop of well trained Naija kids living abroad than a lot of kids living in Naija. As for the hamper, either a bottle of cashew nuts or groundnut and two cans of coke will complete the package.

Ajetheboy

Anonymous said...

God Bless these our kids for being very well cultured. I just can't understand why these so called 'random uncles & aunties' have blatantly refused to flow with current tides. Lucky you, my kids stopped going to Nigerian parties with us long time ago. Especially my sixteen year old son (the younger one) who from the age of thirteen was almost the tallest at most parties one day told my wife that he had a dream about these 'random uncles & aunties' misbehaving. When my wife now asked him if he could remember / identify the person he saw in his dream, he said unfortunately he didn't have his glasses on when he was sleeping so he couldn't see properly. It didn't take me long to realise that he purposely said that to excuse himself from these parties.....Demola

Risi By Name said...

First to comment!! Well done
Really?? Geisha at Tesco? (Picking car keys, shopping bag and dashing to car!)

akpevwe said...

haha this is very true!!! these 'random uncles' are really something - sometimes I find them more funny than irritating - but the only reason we even complain about these things nowadays is because of the oyunbo people we have been brought up with. we still have the respect, only it dims a little sometimes because oyunbo teenagers think that new 'cool' thing is to disrespect your elders. obviously we aren't as silly to think this, but we're young and want to fit in a little, so sometimes we blur the lines.

God bless. -akpevwe

Risi By Name said...

Aburo Remi, the 'entertainer uncle' description is never complete without adding chewing gum to the equation!

Risi By Name said...

Nice to hear the youths' perspective on this matter.
Thanks for your honestly Appy. Xxxx

Anonymous said...

Complaint later hem to who CHILDlINE? You dey joke.

On a serious note I will not allow any unknown uncle with toothpick in his mouth to start to send my children wetin dey bring that nonsense.

Uncle toothpick nor get pikin?

I am not saying I don't train my children to respect their elders but which one bi this uncle when we nor know with toothpick for mouth abeg I dey fear na Noku we dey if you nor worry about uncle with toothpick na you know

Na me again

MOE

Mama ibeji said...

I just tove those random parties with randome uncles...there ain't no naija party without at least one of them! I love to just watch children running the errands parents can't get them to do at home

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

Ola, dis person "anonymous" must really like your blog! So many comments!, na wah O

"Anonymous" O kare laye.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm... I have got to laugh ore. I don't blame the girls. This random uncles at parties. We should be thankful that our teenagers; growing speedily into adults are respectful. Albeit, they did not enjoy the fact of running errands but they oblidge nonetheless. My musketeers will oblidge too after couple of errand runs but then come up with an excuse to go and sit in the car. Lol. I had a plaque which states 'because I am your mother, you will answer when I call you once but answer three times, you will eat when I cook, you will toilet when I ask you to use the convenience, you will sleep when I ask you to go to bed etc. lol.. My musketeers have got rid of the plaque as unable to locate where I placed it ...LOL.. Anyway, my friendship I beg make u get the water yourself when you are downstairs.. Leave the girls ooo.. If they are off to uni
now, you will get not only water for yourself...lol..Esther (YEMI )

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha... random uncles wearing sunglasses inside a building .. dudu oge ... lol
As for random uncles sending kids on errand, l know we were all brought up to respect and carry out errands for older people but it is still possible to ignore frivolous errands at parties. During out time, unless the uncles/aunties were well known to you, it was easy not carry out errands at parties by just moving away from the sender to another section of the party. Back home nowadays, however, sending kids on errand at parties wont be necessary because the event planner's waiters will serve. However this is still very possible at small gathering. Well like you said "kini big deal". You don't attend parties every day. Let the kids enjoy the fun ... lol FTA

Anonymous said...

Baba dudu, bazooka Joe and big dip for my own food box o ...

Anonymous said...

Aunty Ollybabes!!!!! Nice one.......really good stuff....

'Random Niece��'

Risi By Name said...

Possibly a stalker!

Risi By Name said...

Wow!! 'Baba dudu' most imaginative item mentioned so far.

MUMMYDUN said...

I just had a good laugh. Unfortunately, I am in d office and I cant share it with people around me. How av I missed this piece since Friday?

Emmmm, where do I start from now? As for the goodies, how about adding tree top mixing drink to the hamper? Soji, move with the trend, cabin biscuits and blue band still dey naija market o.

Random Uncles.....Your girls' definition of random uncle is diff from my girls' ooooo. In London Random Uncles are usually strangers to them and they cant even hijack anyone to get them food cos everyone gets on the queue to do themselves good. Bigmanism is not allowed in London oooo.

As i was saying, Random Uncles are usually strangers my girls see at occasions, my girls will pick on them for various things ranging from the sunglasses to the pointy shoes. We will usually have a good laugh about the matter for the rest of our stay at the party. So when we go out, i pray that no random uncle comes our way oooo.

Lastly, Ola I think you promised us a t shirt each, when will it arrive at my door step or will u be bringing it with u. God bless u.

MUMMYDUN

Anonymous said...

Asked my adult kids what they liked about Naija parties. Answer was moin moin, I can't be bothered to make it at home. Men that wear shoes without socks at parties is a crime!!

Risi By Name said...

Oh dear! Somebody please come to the defence of these uncles.

Anonymous said...

We have to include a ring boiler in our hamper .

Risi By Name said...

Oh my days, how could we forget our beloved boiling ring!!!

Oyinade said...

I have got 101 ways to escape from the snare of random uncles and aunties. I so agree with Soji's comment in this regard. I however do no think one ever get complete freedom though, because as old as I am, they still send me those kind of yeye messages at parties o. Only that now, if I am too tired and pissed, I enter my car and drive home. No time for serenren. Lol.

They only thing them they use this seniority do na to chance person. I remember one particular xmas at my granddad's, myself and my cousins had climbed the guava tree at the back of the house. We must have certainly spent like an hour on the tree plucking the fruits. I have picked like 24 of them and as I made a final effort to pick the last one I crashed to the ground with the branch of tree I clung to. Taking it in my stride I got and I made my way towards the house to massage my sprained ego and ankle, na so one "Granma Wetin" collect all my 24 guavas on top all my suffer; telling me little girls are not meant to climb trees. Not even a single guava for me. Hah I was crushed and violently subdued for the rest of the day.

I also recall those self-ordained Aunties and Uncles who had only seen my pictures as a baby, yet assert to have changed my diaper as baby and also witnessed by unsteady baby steps. These random Aunties and Uncles are quick to entertain fellow guests at family functions with tales of my mischief as a child.

Risi By Name said...

Oyinade, So true the oldest claim to fame is 'you were born into my hands' and I'm thinking all these random aunties and uncles in the labour room with my mum!