Friday 20 January 2023

THE BEST LAID PLANS AND ALL THAT

 



Saturday 31st Dec 2022 11:30pm, lights have been dimmed and music is playing softly in the background, I slowly nod my head as I remember the lyrics well:

 

Do you really like it, is it, is it wicked

We’re lovin it, lovin it, lovin it 

We’re lovin it like that๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿพ

Ella says ‘only 30 minutes till the new year Ola’

My daughter Funlola is sitting to my left, Akeem my brother is sitting at my foot of the gurney, legs crossed looking at me with a poker face, while to my right Dave sticks one of those ‘thingys’ in my ear to take my temperature for the umpteenth time. 


Yep you read right ‘takes my temperature’ as the above scenario I’ve just described is taking place at the back of an Ambulance not a nightclub, sorry to disappoint y’all๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Cut to country music accompanied by that catchy Tiktok jingle ‘How do I get myself in these situations’๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿพ‍♀️


Dave and Ella are paramedics with East of England Ambulance service who had been dispatched to my residence earlier that evening. 

The music is Capital Xtra Reloaded giving early 2000 R n B vibes as Dave tunes the ambulance radio, lights are dim as my eyes are sensitive and oxygen is administered through a nasal cannula. I slip in and out of sleep as I’m lethargic and had been wretching violently earlier. 

We had been parked in a queue outside my local hospital all evening with about 10 other ambulances as Accident and Emergency Department is full with no available beds. Ella and Dave assure me that I’m in good hands and that they would not leave me till I’m checked in A&E no matter how many hours it takes. They make good their promise wheeling me into hospital for a chest X-ray and then back to the ambulance. 


Bloods are taken, doctors shuttling back and forth from ambulance to examine me, ask me questions with view to accurately identifying what’s wrong and prescribe the correct medication. But I’m disoriented, tired and not remembering much. 


All my needs are being met in this ambulance, Ella and Dave had been with me since 6pm that evening, they had arrived upbeat and ever so professional. I genuinely thought I was slipping away, throwing up and delirious. 111 advised that waiting times for an ambulance were 6 to 12 hours, though they arrived within 3 hours. They had hooked me up to a drip (fluids), given me anti-sickness IV, taken an ECG reading and were with me for 2 hours at my home stabilising me before eventually moving me into the ambulance. They made me feel ever so comfortable. I reluctantly mention I had just returned from Nigeria the day before as I was worried I’d be shipped off to a hospital for Tropical Infectious diseases as they use to do back in the day. I was relieved there was no change in countenance at the mention of the word ‘Africa’ rather they say in that case malaria tests would be run in addition to other blood work, no biggie. 


We ring in the New year in the ambulance and Dave starts playing Auld Lang Syne. They pop open a bottle of shloer (non alcoholic wine) and are toasting with plastic wine glasses. They were such an interesting pair. Dave is an ex police officer while Ella is a former air hostess who regularly flew the London-Lagos route and obviously had a story or 2 to tell. They spoke of how they left their previous careers for this rewarding job.  They keep my folk updated, 3 malaria blood tests are to be taken and the first one had already come back negative. Their level of professionalism is ace. I could feel their passion. I am amazed at how they balanced my care with the banter. Dave asks if I’d like one of those attention-seeking photos taken from hospital beds as there is nothing more dramatic or clout chasing than a pic taken from inside an ambulance hooked up to all those tubes๐Ÿ˜‚ This pair are such a welcome distraction from the reality of what was going on. They eventually wheel me into A&E at 6am on New year’s day and we say our goodbyes, it’s been an eventful roller coaster 10 hours in the ambulance.  


So that’s why this in not a pretty picture blog post about my trip to Nigeria, as that paled into insignificance from Xmas day when I started having a feeling of unwellness. We did have an interesting trip though, on arrival in Lagos it was straight to a ‘function’ from airport!

I got to see family and friends. Watched a football match at Onikan stadium. Naija traffic was ‘trafficking’ bumper to bumper as usual. There was fuel scarcity so our boys from the trenches pave the streets of Lagos selling black market kegs of petrol.  


Every available space, building, billboard, public transport has airbrushed colourful posters of handsome Tinubu and his running mate Shettima titled ‘The Team To Reconnect Nigeria’๐Ÿ‘€

Naija currency notes were being phased out and replaced with different colour ones. I had the luxury of getting my hair done twice while there. When I turned up for my 2nd IJGB ( I Just Got Back) appointment the hairdresser took one look at me looking so ill ‘Aunti the way I dey see you so…u fit do this hair’ - a few hours later I emerge from salon with waist length braids๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿพ‍♀️ They have been humbled though and not seen the light of day and remain wrapped in a pair of leggings on my head till date - Sickness is not their mate!


The flight back from Lagos was the longest ever despite being a direct flight it felt like we were on that plane for 40 days and 40 nights,Yemisi was also unwell.  Navigating check-in and those immigration ‘Anything-for-the-boys’ checkpoints was so tedious, magnified by the way I felt. We bump into my incorrigible friend Kenny (from my last blogpost) at the airport, she takes one look at me asking what’s wrong. 



I stand in the queue, slumped over a barrier, my ‘eyes are turning me’ I’m nauseous and I can feel the bile raising to my mouth๐Ÿคข. ‘Yemisi, Yemisi I think I’m going to be sick’, too late though I start to wretch then ‘phroarrrr’ - it’s projectile as I throw up all over his shirt and floor๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿฅบ    

A passenger besides us rushes to action by splashing water on my face and wiping it, this leaves one of my eyelashes dangling in the process๐Ÿ˜ ‘Madame are you ok rinse your mouth’ while patting my back. Such kindness from a stranger, not all hero’s wear capes๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ’œ 

The other passengers are left to navigate around the ‘puddle’ I’ve left on the floor as they queue. No bio-hazard cleaning team in white boiler suit to sanitise, clean and/or cordon off the area ๐Ÿ˜ท We are fast tracked through immigration after this episode though. 


Back to the matter.  

On return to the UK I spent a few days in hospital the diagnosis was Sepsis. I was pumped with antibiotics and IV fluids. I have since researched the condition dubbed ‘The Silent Killer’ well aware I dodged a bullet. Patients with suspected sepsis are assessed via a National early warning score which provides an overall score to a patients vital signs this determines speed and seniority of clinical response. TIME is of essence and an acronym used to help identify some of the symptoms

Temperature (fever)

Infection (signs of)

Mental decline, dizzy, confused

Extremely unwell, discomfort.  


The Surviving Sepsis Campaign strongly recommends that intravenous antibiotic therapy should be started within 1 hour of recognising sepsis. 



On that note Risi lives to tell another tale, truly thankful that I was able to get care quickly and I’m not taking anything for granted. I can’t help but wonder how things turned out for the patients in the other ambulances that night. 

Thanks to those who cater for my dietary needs; as the appetite slowly returns my demands are ever so specific and annoying๐Ÿ˜‚


Wishing you all a Happy New Year in good health. 


๐Ÿ’…๐Ÿพ

18 comments:

Funlola said...

You forgot about Anna playing Burna Boy in the ambulance๐Ÿ˜‚

Iya Beji ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿพ said...

Being ill in any capacity can be a very humbling experience. I hate to think if you were back in Nigeria with a diagnosis as serious as that! I can just see the headlines like a blockbuster film. Dr know~it-all with a bed side manner that could and would kill on impact. Nurse Piri with an attitude and rolling her eyes every five minutes (and her gnash too)
The paramedics .. non existent. Ambulance … we will still be waiting till today. All other hospital staff would have disappeared leaving lovely Funlola to clear up mum’s mess. We thank God for the NHS๐Ÿ™๐Ÿพ

Risi By Name said...

@Funlola, thanks for the reminder, so much went down that night. How could I forget Anna the relief paramedic! Comes onto ambulance sees you in your bonnet and uncle Akeem looking like a ‘put some respect on my name’ bruv so starts playing Last Last ‘I need Igbo and shayo’๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿพ‍♀️
Nigeria to the world ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฌ

Onome said...

Happy new year, sorry to hear you were sick, l hope you have fully recovered .Take care and God Bless

Anonymous said...

Thank God you are alive to tell the story. The many mercies we receive, hey! What stood out for me was the professionalism of the paramedics. I hope we all learn to treat everyone with kindness whatever we do. Gbenga Badejo

Anonymous said...

First off, I don't know why you sent this to me considering you were in Lagos and caught up with 'friends' - clearly I am not one! Not even the courtesy of a phone call??? Back to back now I feel offended. Your last article was filled with distortion of facts *(angry face). Seriously though, vintage Ola. Glad to know you're back on your feet... Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Ola, wow this is something very very very serious. 'Can I say that you dodged the bullet' with this. Thank goodness. There is a place to fall ill and a place not to - you were in the right place.
And for anyone with little or no brain - calling Ambulance crew ambulance drivers, hope when they fall ill they are attended to by the drivers and hope they live to tell the tale.
Theseguys/ladies are professionals - with university degrees and more importantly they are special. THEY ARE LIVE SAVERS.
GIVE THEM A PAY RISE AND NOT FRYING PANS CLAPPING.

FATAI

Yinka said...

Happy new year to you too Ola.
Interesting blog as usual that does not fail to deliver. We thank God for his divine intervention and lovely to hear that you are on the mend too. Welcome back๐Ÿค—

Stella said...

Happy new year Ola. I really thank God for your life oo! Nothing missing nothing broken.
But I couldn't help laughing in the part when one of your eyelashes "dangled" ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. There's always humour in everything I guess.
Welcome back.

Beatrice said...

We thank God Ola that you are getting better. Our God is indeed good. No matter what we say about the NHS, they are good guys doing their work under very difficulty circumstances. We need to applaud them.

My daughter too went through a similar experience in May 2021. She was in Lagos at the time. It was touch and go and ended up being rushed to Lagoon Hospital in Ikoyi. She was in the ICU for 10 days and spent another 8 days in the Main Ward. She was diagnosed with Necrotising Fasciitis. Her own Sepsis was developed from using Always brand Sanitary Pad. We give God all the glory for her healing.

Stay well my Aburo. The Lord is your Healer.

Anonymous said...

Olly girl…. Hmmmmm
Thank God you live to tell the tale ..
Like someone said in one of the comments, there’s a place not to fall sick.
Thank goodness for a country where people take their jobs seriously and are compassionate .
Again as l read, it felt like l was there in the ambulance with you.
I will never stop saying how your writing comes alive in the readers mind.
Amazon is a good publisher of ebooks..
encouraging you again as l encourage myself ..
It’s 2023… ๐ŸŽบ๐ŸŽท๐ŸŽบ๐ŸŽทmake that move right now baby ๐ŸŽท๐ŸŽบ๐ŸŽท๐ŸŽบ…. Write that book.. a collection of memorable stories ..

Looking forward to more

Oritsetsola x

Bonje said...

Ollysue praise God, the devil na lielie. Thank God for the paramedics ooooo Ella and Dave. And also family, hope Funmilola was not traumatized.

Yes o you live to God’s Glory Amennnnnnnnnn

Anonymous said...

Thank God you are better. It was awesome seeing you

Sholly Bobo said...

Just reading through this horrifying post. We thank the Almighty for granting you a second chance. You obviously were served "Naija a la carte" It was indeed a blessing you were able to make the flight back to the UK and received by the dutiful staff of the NHS. Imagine if you had to be transported back to a Naija hospital. You would have to cough out huge numbers in Naira before they can move close to you, only to diagnose typhoid fever and administer you with Paracetamol etc.

Abimbola said...

Omg!!!! Ola, I m glad you are on the mend. I hate to think what could have happened if you were still in Naija. A big shout out to Ella & Dave the paramedics for their dedication & care. May God greatly reward them. I hope the government wakes up from their slumber and give these guys the pay rise they deserve!

Hibee said...

@risibyname, what an experience. What a way to enter into the new year. Thank God for your life and thank God good help at the right time and place. Thanks for your upbeat and positive take on it all. Trust you are completely healed and doing great. This year can only get better for you and yours. Have an amazing one. Love you loads๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

Anonymous said...

Olatunde. Pele o. I am glad you are a lot better. What a way to usher in the new year. Thanks to the paramedics and the NHS. They are they best considering their current plight. Your village people tried sha o.

Anonymous said...

Ah ! Praise God for HIS MERCIES! The devil na liar! I'm happy you are much better. Thank God for the paramedics as well....I trust that this hasn't put you off going to naija oh! Sepsis can be caught anywhere !

Pele!