Friday 21 October 2022

NAME AND SHAME

 Monday 26th Sept 2022 my phone pings message reads ‘Hello, I’m fundraising for ****church. Here’s my JustGiving page, if you’d like to donate’

I hissed, my thoughts were I’ve not fund raised, risen or rose for my own Church, I will now come and do so for yours?? Why would I want to donate🤷🏾‍♀️. I’m resolute they won’t get one penny off me. I quickly check the link though and noted that no one has made a donation. 


Wed 5th October, phone pings again ‘Hi, please see below link for my 5K Charity run this Saturday. It’s for a great cause and I would really appreciate your support. Every little helps’

This time my thoughts are ‘yeah every little helps but you’re not getting diddly squat help from me’. 


6th October phone pings again, ‘they’ have changed antics adding a personal touch! WhatsApp reads:

‘Ola o, sponsor me now. Kilode gan? Just click and pay o’ I shake my head trying to stifle a smile.  At the time my whatsapp DP, was a photo of my hand with a bracelet sitting on my wrist inscribed with the words ‘I Am Enough’. A bit of a humble brag, I thought the words were so cool and bougie, the bracelet was pretty as well. I was just showing off🥺. So imagine how I felt when the person’s message continued with: Ola We know ‘You Are Enough’, can you now just pay and donate towards my sponsored run.  ‘The dig’ actually hurt and the smile now left my face.  I replied with 3 words ‘COST OF LIVING’, expecting them to ‘Get The Memo’ and leave me alone. 


But no alas they now revert to Yoruba! Message reads ‘Ahmed lo ko ko sanwo, omo gidi’ which translates to ‘Ahmed was the first to donate, he is a good boy’ 

For those of you that don’t know, Ahmed is my brother. So now I’m being guilt tripped to make a donation simply because my brother had done so. I reply ‘and so?’

And a response comes back immediately  ‘ara lo n’ta e’ literal translation ‘your body is peppering you’ or in plain English ‘you’re just jealous’🤬


The next day another ping ‘My dear people, thank you to all that have supported me ‘so far’. I am still expecting support from those who haven’t. The race is tomorrow. Every little helps. God bless’ Followed by the most over used Naija emoji i.e. ‘Those’ Praying Hands🙏🏾 (though rumour has it, that this emoji actually portrays someone giving a’ high five’). The Reverse psychology is gradually  ‘werking’. Curiosity gets the better part of me, I check the link to see how much has been donated. This time the figure stands at £1500 😲

The message now also includes naija bank details for peeps who wish to donate in Naira. 


After a few minutes of sober reflection, resignedly I tap on link and make my ‘toro kobo’ (little) contribution 🫣


I then send a message reading ‘I have a broken arm from all this your arm twisting and have paid under duress, hope you are happy, can you let me breathe now please?’ My phone rings immediately….I answer. Let me introduce you to my friend Kenny🤦🏾‍♀️

Kenny and Risi, October 2022




Last year I posted a blog about a friend of mine who works in the city of London and has an arrangement with a naija caterer who delivers lunch to her Monday through to Friday. Kenny will eat amala, gbegiri, tripe and assorted meat at her desk, drink malt, belch ‘clean mouth’ then see a client immediately after. 😩 See blog 👉🏾 Here


From the narrative you’ll have figured she’s incorrigible, persistent and unapologetic and there is no escape from her. But she does achieve results as seen by the amount she raised for her sponsored run over a few days. Current total raised stands at £3100.  When I mentioned that I expected her to run the whole race and not walk she replied that “God does not agree with us running😲”. I asked how she came about that and she replies that Proverbs 28 reads: ‘The wicked man runs when no man is chasing him’. The speed with which I rush to my Bible App, NKJV 28:1 actually reads ‘The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion’😩 

Kenny thinks she is witty too. 


She was my course mate at Ogun State University, Nigeria. And baby of our set, the daughter of a professor, smart, you know one of ‘those lot’ who start secondary school really young like age 9 still wearing ‘pampers’ and bib, while the rest of us were already wearing brassiere 😐. Though one of the youngest among us she was so mouthy, cheeky or what’s that naija phrase we use ‘forward’ and she still is! 

My first encounter with her was during Jambite week aka Fresher’s week.  I was experimenting with make-up as it was my first time away from home and growing up I had not been allowed to wear make up. Come on guys that’s the cue for all of you to say ‘awwwwwww’ 🥺

Kenny and Risi. 1991


I had plastered my face with a foundation we called ‘Perfect Finish’ back then and drawn thick eyebrows I was really ‘feeling myself’. This new found freedom of undergraduate life was so up my street. So there I was in the canteen and this girl walks up to me, squinting and staring at me. Eyeball to eyeball she asks ‘what’s this rubbish on your face?’ then licks her finger and uses same finger to shorten the length of the pencilled eyebrows I had drawn😤

Shock, anger, humiliation do not describe my emotions. I was literally tongue tied but before I could reply, she says ‘I’m Kenny, I have loads of makeup you need to come to my hostel’  A friendship was born. The year is 1983.  


Through the decades the friendship transcends and shifts between periods of silence and then catching up when we live in each other’s pockets, sharing every aspect of our day-to-day activities. Some of you may have figured out from her name that she’s a twin as Kenny=Kehinde. Her brother by the way is nothing like her. Periodt (the T is deliberate, if you don’t get it forget about it). He is much nicer😐


Last Saturday we attended a charity fund raising event in support of Precious Sights Foundation and were all seated at the same table with Kenny, her twin and rest of her family. 

We pose for the selfie above, she then casually mentions that she has a photo of us taken 31 years ago, scrolling through her phone she forwards to me. 

I stare at pic, (Kenny you really should have made your bed though😱) Kenny japa’d (migrated) before me. I was just visiting from naija at the time. We were young, free and single. Completed Law school and had served our National Youth Service Corp.  Our claim to fame is that we’ve been ‘pouting’ and doing ‘duck mouth’ way before it became a thing in recent years and we’re both rocking bronze lipstick as that was the colour of the day. 31 years later we’ve both gravitated towards a shade of red, mine a tad brighter though💋


Kenny ‘gbera o, wake up, wake up’. Victoria Has No More Secrets! 

If it’s just a teeny-weeny sliver of embarrassment you feel while reading this then my job is done.

Straight to the comments now, I read them for a living and I think the title of this post is referred to as ‘click bait’ 🤪


Thanking God It’s Friday. Catch you all next week🥰


Life becomes easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got~ R. Brault


💅🏾

41 comments:

Iya Ibeji👶🏾👶🏾 said...

Risi, if you were not wearing make-up you must have been very bright in school. There is a lot of time wasted in painting one’s face. The same has to be said for plaiting one’s hair. An awful waste of time, who are you trying to look beautiful for? Go to university, get that first class and then and only then do we have time for “fatal attraction.”
I come in peace 🙏🏾😂

5 Guys said...

Is it the same finger that Kenny put in her mouth after she had eaten amala and gbegiri that she used to clean the eyebrow on your face....chaii

Anonymous said...

An Ode to Kenny....Nice to hear about you again. Yes, I read and I've heard about your lunch activity with much admiration as I need one in my life also 😆 Tayad of packed lunches or work canteen meals.
Aunty Ola, iya Ijebu herself...xxx

Anonymous said...

You served us another banger indeed Risi..
I was getting worried as l read thinking what would the shangree person say if they came across this blog ..
Great to know you both have such a great friendship and can take jibes at each other and have done so through the years..
As l always say your writing comes alive to the reader..
l was transported straight into the scene where she wiped your face with her saliva finger 😂😂😂😂
Nice one Olly girl ..

Oritsetsola 💕💕
Keep em coming 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

Kenny said...

Ola, I read this and my first thought was, "Yeap, this is Kenny". Omo, o ti get mi. This one is 10 upon 10.

Let me break it down. The fund-raising thing was initially a disaster. I tried to create a broadcast, but created a group by mistake, and all the people started posting, ‘Ha, what is this? Have you been hacked?’ See how they started exiting the group. One guy even called me to accuse me of breach of GDRP…. See me, see trouble! It took me 3 days to encourage myself to start a broadcast, hence your first message. No apologies.

Once I started, I kept on wahala-ing people. Even me sef, I was surprised at my ‘onibara’ (begging) tendencies.
Meanwhile, I am thinking I should re-post this blog and add my Just-giving page as per my new corporate beggar lifestyle, I am still £1,400 short of my £5K target. #everylittlehelps.

What is the shout out to my brother, Taiwo for? He is definitely NOT nice. It is 5 years to another party. Those who know, know👀(Another blog for another day)

The makeup industry did us wrong. The shades of “perfect finish” foundations were anything but perfect. To now add thick black eyebrows!!!!!! You sef. Omo, ‘ah gats to act fast’. Me too sha, I had effrontery. How can?

Meanwhile, I went back to check both pictures and can confirm that your eyebrows are now on point. See now, one simple act of love has set you up for a lifetime of perfect eyebrows. I collect that glory🙏🏾
See how you jejely described yourself as sitting in the canteen, like sweet innocent-i, proper jambite. Na today? You must have been ‘forming’. We know ourselves. Like attracts like. It must have been your vibes that drew me to you.
Every enduring friendship always has a story. We have so many. There’s not a thing I would change about this friendship. Long may it continue. Can’t wait to terrorise the grandkids. ❤️💋

Anonymous said...

Ps…. Well done to Kenny for all she raised without finishing the race or running sef …. 😂😂😂😂
Oritsetsola

Anonymous said...

Very sweet piece

K Show said...

Oritsetsola, this is Kenny. I finished the race. I ran, walked, strolled and danced my way to the finished line. I can’t come and start and be returning money. I have a medal 🏅 😂

Anonymous said...

I am still laughing ó! The eyebrows must have been very 'unflick' for a total stranger to try and correct it. Well done Kenny. Looking at it from another perspective.......A great and enduring frienship was born from that encounter..... And you're both looking good.... So no be today ó, you don dey pout from 1560.

Olayemi said...

Too funny!
My claim to fame, I was sat next to you at the Charity Ball until Kenny “asked” me to move over so she can be close to you for the follow up gist.
Anyway, thanks for donating. I shall be sending you my link so you can do likewise for my 5k run.
Lovely write up. Looking forward to more 😁

Anonymous said...

Great article - all those mentions (jambite/hostel/fresher/canteen) bring nostalgia back ten notches - love it

Anonymous said...

Please where is this 9ja caterer that delivers all the orisirisi ooo?

An engaging write up! iLike it!!!

Anonymous said...

Dayio A- Lovely & fun read…Thanking God for your continued friendship

Ola A said...

Loved this lol! The 1991 pic 😍

Mo A said...

Hahaha really good write up lmao!!! I love that she was persistent. The one that got me was Kenny using spit to clean your brows 😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
AHH! and oh Maryam (Kenny’s daughter) looks exactly like Kenny confirmed! she’s who I saw in that 1991 picture!
So sweet! Loved reading it ❤️🤗

Tolu O said...

😂😂👍🏾

Anonymous said...

That 1991 photo is priceless!
Great piece Ola. I thoroughly enjoyed every line and paragraph. I didn’t know Kenny was this large o ha! Caterer delivered lunch???? Gbogbo big geh! Just one correction; she wasn’t quite the baby of the class. If you know…you know!

Ronke S said...

This is such a funny write up😂 Loved reading and so admire your friendship.

Anonymous said...

a great piece enjoyed it. That 1991 pic priceless

Temi A said...

I read this with a warm feeling, yes oh she pestered me for donation, I told her that if she runs I would double my donation. You can imagine her response. 😩. I am probably Kenny’s newest friend, we met on the PSF trip to Rwanda. A lovely caring and down to earth lady, with a big heart 💕💕💞

Anonymous said...

A beautiful blog about life and friendship. I too know Kenny and her persistence is ridiculous. I knew she wouldn’t run but I still sponsored her. It’s Kenny!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece...
Waooo!!!!..connecting after 31years.. I love Kenny's energy jare.
Rising by Name..I pray your blog goes places ooo in Jesus name. Amen

Anonymous said...

Great write up as usual and very funny .😁

Omotowunmi said...

It’s the pout for me; it’s actually your signature photo look. I am surprised you didn’t have it in the recent pose. Long live your friendship indeed.

Anonymous said...

Lol

Anonymous said...

Great write up Ola. Really enjoyed it👏🏽

Bunmi😍

Anonymous said...

I cannot stop laughing! Sacrosanct Kenny!!.....but in a good way dearie. Contrary to the thought of that very moment, I see boldness and humility. Well done ojàrè òrè mi love you to bits however, I am glad it wasn't the time of coronvirus.....lol

Kudos to Risi my friend's friend......what a blog....story yì dun....
Thank you kindly for sharing Kenny.

Love always 💖

Risi By Name said...

@Iya Ibeji, of course it was a first. Like all Naija parents 👀

Risi By Name said...

@Oritsetsola Thank you🥰

Risi By Name said...

@Kenny, I must confess I noticed that mass exodus when you created that first WhatsApp group instead of a broadcast list. I cringed on your behalf. ‘Lagbaja left the group, Beyoncé left the group. Liz left the group’. All flashing on my phone 😂

Risi By Name said...

@Anon 21st Oct 13:00. Yes o, The eyebrows were truly not ‘eyebrowing’

Risi By Name said...

@Olayemi, I was so embarrassed when Kenny squeezed herself between us🤦🏾‍♀️. Well done on completing the run too.

Risi By Name said...

@Temi A ‘pestered’ is putting it mildly, as a new friend of a Kenny’s be prepared for a bumpy ride!

Risi By Name said...

@Omotowunmi So much was going on in that 1991 Pic, but yes it was the pout for me too😀

Anonymous said...

Fab read. I like when Kenny walked up to you and “adjusted” your “well lined” brow. I am still chuckling.

FO said...

Lol 😂
You got Kenny to a Teee!

Jemima S said...

‘Let me introduce you to my friend Kenny’
LOOOL wow what a plot twist😂That’s so cute though

Biola O. said...

Love it, a great read.
Kenny is unapologetically sassy!
Her directness had no bounds and none of us were spared of her tongue in those days.
Kenny will say it 'gbam' without any remorse, we loved her still🥰
We had fun and I still recall those days with so much fondness

Stella said...

This is soooi refreshing! It's the twist for me.

Anonymous said...

Ola T mi.
What a lovely piece, equally funny.
Ijebu to the core.
Spend this money o, I beg.
I am glad Kenny was persistent.
I admire your friendship.
You seem to “pick up” where you stopped.
That is the beauty of true friendship.
Thank God for Kenny, only God knows how you would have looked today if Kenny had not approached
You on that faithful day, 31 years on, you lived to tell the world the
Beautiful tale.






KayGee said...

This really made me laugh, i enjoyed every bit of this. Absolutely nailed the "subject"