Friday 6 February 2015

KEEPING UP WITH THE BALOGUNS!



Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ~ Charles Calab Colton

I came across a different spin on this famous quote the other day that made me smile and gave me a 'light bulb' moment, it read something like this:

"Though imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery it often means that you lack personality, talent and creativity so kindly stop before you hurt yourself!"

'Follow-Follow' mentality is widespread amongst our people. It is the comparison to one's neighbour as a benchmark for social class or the accumulation of material goods. Failing to 'Keep up with the Baloguns' occurs when we are more concerned about our standard of living in relation to our peers or neighbours.
We strive for the perfect home, job, relationships/marriage, perfect kids, loads of money, most coveted holidays, the list is non- exhaustive and can also transcend to striving for a perceived perfection in our physical appearance.

The media has the tendency to dictate to us what and how we should be, Who The Baloguns are, and what we need to do to be like them! So many of us end up 'faking it', there is no harm in improving ourselves I must admit but it is a bit of a problem when common sense is not applied.

I have always loved reading blogs from my homeland but nowadays there is a trend emerging when rather than writing about matters arising and providing quality entertainment, bloggers are treating us to full blown up pics of someone's Instagram page with them posing with their latest possession be it wristwatch, designer bag, car or helicopter.

For the sake of clarity, I'm not talking about all those random pics taken at those events we attend, dressed in our glad rags and genuinely have fun. I'm talking of photos of someone sitting on the bonnet of what they "purport to be" a top of range car with a quote from them, like  "My latest 'tear rubber' (slang for new car) has arrived, whom God has blessed let no man curse!". Initially I'd get all excited but not for the reason you're thinking though! I'd quickly scroll down to the comments section of the post (I have told you time and time again, it's the comments that making this blogging thingy so interesting!) expecting to see this person torn apart by the voices of reason with comments like, ' See mumu, maga, mugu!!' 'okay we have seen, now crawl back to your hole' 'and how is this news?' 'why is this interesting?' 'How childish, What's up with this money-miss-road of a somebody!' ' What a show-off', 'unku please I beg try and eat some humble pie' 

So you can imagine my bewilderment when rather comments like 'God bless your hustle', 'If you've have it, flaunt it', 'my own time will come', 'Big boyz big tinz, I jealous you o', 'you are just too much', 'ah Baba mi, show me the way' are what face me. And as I quickly scroll through 200 or so comments, 195 of them are 'hailing' this wannabe and woe betide the poor odd voice of reason that questions this type of behaviour, they get slated by the BIC's and/or accused of being a 'hater'. 

For the record BIC's aka "Brave In Cyber" are persons who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, the type that are only vocal because they can hide behind the cloak of anonymity that social media provides. Should one face them in 'real time' they tend to be rather unimpressive people, all their swagger is reserved for the Internet!

I guess defining Who The Baloguns are? is subjective and varies from person to person. And here I come to another amazing, strange but true life tale. Someone I once knew would always pretend to be left-handed at any function where she considered the crowd to be 'aristo', 'up there or 'aje butter'. Now you really need to have seen this to appreciate the craziness.
She was right-handed but would place spoon in left hand, the angle of her arm and elbow would look so peculiar and awkward. Watching her navigate that spoon from plate to her mouth was painful to say the least but you see, to her, eating with her left hand was synonymous with all things 'butter' and she was Keeping up with the Balogun's in her head, albeit by a very strange means. 

A quick round robin of my home girls on a good day which includes both friends and family is varied, we would have:
Team Orobo" (full figured) Versus Team Lepah (slim)
Team Natural hair Versus Team Weave (be it Brazilian or synthetic!)
Team low cut hair Vs Team Mami wata (mermaid) length hair
Team fitness freak Vs Team sit-on-the-bench
Team I-have-reached-the-peak of-my career Vs Team I-am-just-getting-by.
Team Aje butter (please google) Vs Team Aje paki (for definition kindly phone a friend or ask audience)
Team Domestic goddess Vs Team honey-lets-eat-out!

You should hear some of the arguments we have when trying to put our diverse points or views across, but the main thing is that we strive to maintain our individuality.
The problem starts when people feel the need to copy the Baloguns without applying reason. 

It is really cool and particularly clever when makeup is applied in such a skilful manner that a woman's features are accentuated to their full potential. But it gets somewhat awkward when we have a group of 'sisters' at those numerous social functions we attend, all looking like genetically modified mannequins, same arched shape eyebrows drawn with military precision, lips out lined with red lipstick on the outside and lighter shade inside, hair weave same length, sourced from same vendor, with closure on same side of head, gele (head wrap) tied same style, bodies shaped & contoured with same brand of 'body magic' (formerly know as girdle!), 
"Ms Fire-by-force-I-must-look-like-Beyonce Balogun" what happened to maintaining your own style? I often browse through online sites that cover our fashion, but after a while I'm bored and dizzy looking at identical made-up faces and outfits.


Social media platforms have further fuelled The Balogun persona. Don't we all love our selfies? Guilty as charged, if I do post a pic on any platform (excluding Facebook, I'm not on Facebook) I do want to look 'tight', 'cute smile', 'little pout', 'pull tummy in' 'pretend pic was taken casually and no such effort has been made' etc etc. Where I do feel we start to move into mucky water though is when we take it up a notch and start showing off the wonderful lives, all the wonderful gifts from spouse, partner, friend or boo. Every detail of Junior's teething, toilet and feeding habits out there for all on sundry. Forgetting that less is more! Please keep it for, A night with Jonathan Ross, Oprah or Moments with Mo!

And to further buttress this point, Chambers Dictionary recently nominated the word "overshare" as the word of 2014, “we’re revealing more now than we ever have done before”, according to the dictionary and overshare” is defined “to be unacceptably forthcoming with information about one’s personal life" 

This oversharing often leads to a certain type of person feeling insecure, people need to stop comparing themselves. The Baloguns' will always be there so we need to learn not to care about them. And as prophetic lyrics of Fela's 'Mr Follow-Follow' go:
"If you dey follow-follow dem book.......na inside cupboard you go quench.."
So please let's take a deep look in the mirror, seek for the value within ourselves, chillax and be happy!

Thanks again for the comments, follows and feedback, they make this all so interesting. Sorry to digress but commentator Anonymous ( 2nd Feb @ 20:23) on my post Because I'm Your Mother That's Why! Really made me laugh out loud when they added a boiling ring to our hamper! That's one item I had not thought about in years and I had a tough time explaining to my daughter what one was! I googled to see if I could show her an image but couldn't find. I wonder whether it was an innovation made solely for the Naija Market. 

Also a big shout out to my daughter for editing the licence plate of that custom-made vehicle that takes pride of place at top of this post!

Anyway folk, have a great weekend. See you next Friday.


If you don't like my story, write your own ~ Chinua Achebe





14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fela got it many years ago. follow follow is the bane of our society.

Anonymous said...

This keeping up with the Baloguns I for think say people of our age and generation go don past that o most especially us when dey unuku.

Me I go speak for myself as MOE I nor fit see any Baloguns when enjoy life as I do so as for me no need to do like them as wetin I get past what they have (LOVE) even with all those their big car, house, hair e.t.c e.t.c

You see any way you enjoy life nor
matter as far as you get yafuyafu love so all those Baloguns GO LOOK FOR LOVEEEEE

Today na Friday I dey Naja mode of jab if you know what I mean

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

I admit F10LKE, However it was not follow-follow just a personal desire.
'
This blog presents a paradox.
1. Shae bi a tin shae ko le ri bi o tin ri.(do it as it's done to get a similar result)
2. Doing the same thing always and expecting a different result is the beginning of "MADNESS"
Similar results or Different results.
The decision is YOURS!!

Anonymous said...

Wooww!! Well done.. great style... omoge

Ajetheboy said...

Nicely written. Those that try to keep up with the "Baloguns" suffer from an inferiority complex. It's like having a yearning to be socially validated and accepted. Most pace-setters were I guess just doing their "thing" as it comes naturally to them.

Meanwhile, "follow follow wan kill himself to catch up". By the time they catch up, the originator (the Baloguns) have moved to other, possibly better things. "It didn't worth it" Lol.

Let's keep it real and be ourselves.

Ajetheboy

Big Sis S said...

PREEAACH!! This post is too real and the age that you're expected to 'keep up' is getting younger and younger due to the influence of social media.

On another note, I had no idea that bring left-handed was special. As someone who is actually left-handed I will be playing that up at future events lol

Anonymous said...

As you rightly said keeping up with the Baloguns or the'Follow-Follow' mentality is widespread amongst our people; and it is the bane of our society. The follow-follow mentality is the reason why evil is prevalent in our society. Majority of us run from pillar to post to keep up with the Baloguns They do not care how they achieve their selfish or evil ambition/desire. Their motto is "the end justify the means" of keeping up with the Baloguns. What a pity! The Preacher sums it all: Vanity of vanities, all is vanity. FTA

Anonymous said...

Follow follow indeed as fela said. How peculiarly nigerian! i have picked up a few new slangs now from your blog o! I have obviously been too long away from home ! wunmi talabi

Oyinade said...

A lot of social media users actually “airbrush reality”. Sadly, social media provides a platform where people modify themselves to the personal expectations of others. Precisely what they believe is attractive and appealing to their audience. Photographs are seriously improved upon, sensational narrations are posted as statuses to make people appear larger than they really are, or just to drive a large number of “likes” and “retweets” in order to have their online existence officially endorsed by the general public. Unfortunately these make-believe shows of life, coated lies, and exaggerated state of events on social media can only lead to creation of spurious memories which makes it very hard for people to distinguish between fiction and reality.
This abuse of social media can only leave people delusional, where they are stuck with believing the untrue version of events they presented online. At which point they also start to suffer “digital amnesia” and become unsure or totally forget the actual happenings of events they indicated on social media. Some people go to Facebook and post statuses that are in total contrast to the events in their life. They contrive lies to increase the number of “likes” from Facebook buddies and would go any length just to keep up appearances even if it means losing their personal identities or perhaps their lives.

Anonymous said...

Keeping up with the 'Baloguns'. We have all done it at some point in our lives. However, I agree with you that 'KUWTBs' reflects insecurity and insincerity in our lives and ourselves. Yes I want a jeep but can't afford it, Want to go on a cruise, don't have a clue what it means or what it takes but my neighbour did. My neighbour and partner are very close and loving, the couple have not spoken to one another in a year and don't share a bed either but they put up a good show to the world. Let's be mindful of what we wish for. Most times I am very true to myself and I love beautiful things however I do not do 'fake'. I keep my fivers and tenders in a bag somewhere in my kitchen until I am able to afford the real thing. I am not bothered about items being out of season. If I love it I get it whenever I have saved up for it. Follow follow is not my thing either. I live how I feel, I do not allow the media or society to dictate to me. I need to be real and sincere with myself. Hopefully I have been able to live up to that. I do not have a jeep or mansion or a collection of designer shoes and bags however I am happiest with my size 11 shoes from Baker Street, my Ankara and adire, my bags from m and s when on sales, I do give myself a treat sometimes and spend more than usual on an item. being yourself is beautiful and true and most importantly, liberating. You are accountable to no one but yourself. If you feel uncomfortable with the crowd you are with, then you are not meant to be there. If you are not comfortable with your actions , you are not true to yourself, then stop, if you are uncomfortable with what you are wearing then don't, if you can't use chop sticks then don't, i don't use them as I do not want to make a fool of myself. My fingers do a better job. Don't try to impress and make a fool of yourself. I try to keep up with myself sometimes, I struggle.


Hajia Deaconness

Anonymous said...

As already mentioned: keeping up with the Baloguns by all means is a reflection of insecurity and low self esteem.most of the time, all that glitter is not gold with the FB oversharers .
In life, one has to decide who you are and how you want to express that to avoid a life of misery.
"In order to be irrepleable you have to be different" Coco Chanel.
BB

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm....contrary to the general beliefs, I really like these "WANNABEs" as they are fun to watch & comment about when they are trying to pretend to be what they are not. It is always obvious when you see them in these modes. In my household, we call them jesters (alawada). You just cant miss noticing them.....Demola

Anonymous said...

Hmm, loving this write up as I have actually reposted to a few contacts.

I think people now take their pursuit of happiness to more and more acquisition of cars, naomi Campbell look alike wives/babes but open up their real self and you'll find people begging for what true happiness or let me say true joy is actually is.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts about keeping up with the Balogun' s is so hilarious but I just want to share and I remember sharing my little secret with a friend who said she actually felt the same way! And by the way this was ever so long ago. Here goes: I wanted to be mixed race! You know half caste, bi-racial seems so silly now but ... They seemed to have the best boyfriends, belong to the coolest gangs, hanging out at those cool Suru-lere joints....... I would have given any thing THEN to be mixed race but alas, God had better plans for me! I no wan designer, just to be bi-racial ....
Mama ibeji