Sunday 7 June 2020

Protesting With My Mum: #BlackLivesMatter

SPECIAL GUEST FEATURE: 

My name is Tee (Risi's daughter) and today I will be taking over my mum's blog.


My mother and I: En route Parliament Square

Unless you’re living under a rock, I would assume that you are aware of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests going on across the globe, as a result of police brutality and the unjust murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and many more black lives.



My mum holding a banner that reads: White Silence Is Compliance.

Today (06/06/20), I accompanied my mum and thousands of other Black Lives Matter protesters (including Anthony Joshua πŸ˜‰) in Parliament Square, London UK. We peacefully marched through London in show of solidarity with the movement in the USA and to highlight racism in the UK.

It was last night when my mum informed me that she would be attending the Black Lives Matter protest in Parliament Square. And I’m not even going to lie, I was very shocked to hear this. Considering this draining week of online activism, my friends and I had been discussing how nice it would be to attend one of the BLM protests. However, with COVID-19 still apparent and the negative portrayal of the BLM protests in the media, many of my friends’ parents had said no and the rest of us never bothered to ask our parents, as we “knew” it would be an automatic no. So, assuming we weren’t allowed to go, we laughed at the idea of our parents going. Impossible! The thought of Nigeran parents at these rallies… it just doesn’t seem like their ‘kind of thing’. Apparently not my mum though.



This morning, I woke up to my mum excited and fully prepped to go to her first protest. As you can see in the picture above, the necessitates were laid-out perfectly:
  • ‘Black Lives Matter’ T-Shirt
  • ‘Queen’ Beanie Hat (you know my mother)
  • Mask & Hand Sanitiser(COVID-19 Protection)
Once my mum informed me that she intended on going on her own, I was shocked. I naturally assumed that she would be attending with her friends. And you can only imagine why I thought this… the idea of my mum navigating her way around London… alone… (after asking me multiple times to find out how she gets to Parliament Square) Well, a girl can only assumeπŸ˜‚ . I asked her if it were a good idea and if she wanted me to come with her. However, my mum made it very clear that she was very capable of attending this protest on her own. This was later followed by “Oh yeah, how do I get there again?”…

It was in that moment, I knew… I should go πŸ˜…. My mum was glad to hear this and handed me a T-Shirt in similar style to hers, reading “Don’t Search. I’m Black”.


My mum signing a BLM banner.

My mum and I attending our first protest together was an experience that was unmatched. In Parliament Square at 1PM, moments before the march commenced, thousands of protesters gathered together on one knee to obtain a minute of silence, to commemorate the black people killed by police brutality. After assisting my mum up from kneelingπŸ˜†, she soon started dancing as a group of drummers were playing in the crowds right before Winston Churchill’s statue.

The march progressed.

A few thought-provoking photos that I snapped today.

Megaphones. Signs. Chants. Unity. (And let me not forget the free sausage rolls - they were vegan πŸ˜ but at least they were free)

Whilst we marched through London, many messages were held in the air ‘The UK Is Not Innocent’, ‘Silence Is Violence’ and ‘You Can’t Have The Rhythm, If You Don’t Want The Blues’ and chants were yelled, such as, “No Justice, No Peace – No Racist Police”, “Say His Name: George Floyd” and more offensive – but true- chants like, “EFF BORIS, EFF TRUMP”, when these chants were shouted, I would look for my mums reaction, her eyes would go wide😳 followed by a laugh. Then we would both join in on these controversial chants.

It was a wonderful protest. Once my mum and I reached Vauxhall, a car was blasting Changes by Tupac. Many protesters gathered round the car, with signs held high. It was perfect. That was when my mum and I decided it was time to head back home and grab a cheeky McDonald's on the way.


“Say Her Name: Belly Mujinga”


Unfortunately, there seems to be an idea that the Black People in the UK do not suffer the same scope of racism in the US. However, cases such as Belly Mujinga, highlight, institutionalised racism in the UK is also a massive problem. Belly Mujinga, was a rail worker who got spat at by a white male who had stated he had coronavirus, and she later died of COVID-19. Conveniently, the police concluded the attack -which was clearly racial-motivated- didn’t lead to her death.

I have heard many things concerning BLM protests, such as, Right now isn’t the time to be protesting and Wait until COVID-19 passes to protest. But I’m tired of waiting. We’ve been waiting. I refuse to let anyone tell me to wait any longer to demand change and I refuse to be silent about it.

If this blog post has inspired you to attend a protest, make sure you are staying safe. Across social media, activists and organisations have shared tips for protesting safely and effectively, including what clothing and protective gear to take along, and what groups to look to for guidance.

However, not everyone can attend these protests, especially if one is vulnerable to COVID-19. Fortunately, protests aren’t the only form of activism, so use this time to educate yourself, sign petitions, donate, share links and encourage people to do the same.

Here are some carrds that can help you gain information, links to petitions, about protests, etc

In addition, I would like to give a big shout out to my Aunty Dela for also protesting today.

 

Aunty Dela, in her protective gear, holding her sign that reads: Justice for George Floyd, Black Lives Matter.

Hope this blog post has inspired you to make a change. 
Thanks for reading
Tee ✊🏿 (Saturday 6 June, 2020)

P.S. Black Lives Matter. But just saying it doesn’t do anything. Its not a trend, take action now!

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor ~ Desmond Tutu



42 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done Tosin. I am very proud of you. Black lives does matter.

KennySho said...

I was ashamed to read “ I thought one of her friends would go with her”. I had a Judas Iscariot moment. Well done Ola. I was at home praying πŸ™„

Tosin’s blog is very good. It feels like you are there in the house, the entire journey and the protest. It is very inclusive.
Great work.

Esther Akingbade-olatunji said...

Excellent write up TosinπŸ‘πŸ½. Thought provoking. Actually, I wasn’t too surprised when I saw pictures and snap video yesterday morning of Ola; holding up a placard. Proud of you girl. Well done Tee for accompanying mum and assisting to help her up after kneelingπŸ˜„. This is for a good cause. Black People have been oppressed for too long. We can’t be silent any longer. #BLACKLIVESMATTER#

Well doneπŸ™πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½

RONNIE said...

Tosin your piece was inspiring I will join the side of the oppressed.
Thanks for preventing your mom from getting lost.

Seun said...

Well done ladies! I can't lie, I was worried when I heared that you had gone to the protest. However, I'm very proud, the different ways that we are all coming together to help the movement is already having an impact.

Veronica said...

So good for all those who took part.
Well done upcoming journalist 😊

Aunty Toyin said...

Well done Ola and to Tee. Proud of both of you. Really enjoyed the blog. πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎGod bless and keep safe. πŸ‘πŸΎ

Modupe said...

Nice.

Well-done T for standing to be counted.
Well-done Ola for the good job.

Definitely George Floyd's death will not be in vain IN JESUS NAME, AMEN.
I pray this marks the begining of black lives really matter(ing) IN JESUS NAME, AMEN.

Noline Matemera said...

Excellent piece Tosin.Love the anecdotes about your mum wonderfully interspersed throughout a powerful piece of writing. Well done.

Belle of the Ball said...

Tee aka Risi’s daughter, I am so proud of you! Always have been and even more so for showing your stance against injustice by joining yesterday’s Protest. Absolutely love your writing; quite informative and inspiring. The pictures are Ace! No surprise at your mum’s decision to show solidarity by attending the protest.#not the conformist Naija mum.
Indeed, our ‘patience’ is fast running out. Left to the system, there would never be a good time to call out the injustice pertaining to racism.
We can all do our part in speaking up against racism and standing up for what is right and speaking up against wrong both for ourselves and for others. Your cousin,K, said she’s so proud to have you.

Dela said...

Tosin thank you for such a well written piece. Iam proud of you that you joined thousands to protest of the inhuman way George Floyd spent the last moments of his life. The fight for change and justice has just started, so I look forward to reading more blogs from you.

Unknown said...

Tosin. Great efforts at surpassing 'Risi by name' However,l hope you maintained Physical distancing at the rally. Lol

Unknown said...

I have tears in my eyes, a mixture of sorrow for all the oppression we have faced by the hands of racist bigotry but I also shed a tear of joy that changes will definitely come because this generation with the help of social media will not rest until justice and equality (the real justice and equality) not the white washed one that "they" think we have after the abolition of slavery.
Enough is enough and George Floyd's death is the catalyst of this change.

Alatenumo said...

Tee,

I am so proud of you. You have always been woke. In this age where we are programmed to be adjusted to the status quo, you have chosen the difficult path of being maladjusted to injustice. Always speak truth to power in this our commodified and market driven world that lynches our blackness on the altar of white supremacy.

@Alatenumo

Dad said...

T, rendering your participation in the current world wide protest against black injustice in such flowing and flowery terms is quite refreshing. I’m proud that you stand to be counted when it matters. Keep up the struggle girl.

DokWan said...

Excellent commentary.
The agbalumo doesn't fall far from the tree....��

Risi By Name said...

Thanks so much Tee for getting me up from the ground each time as 'we took to the knee'. The act of kneeling down during the protest was a sign of respect to all those who have lost their lives. It was a very uncomfortable position but well worth it and made me wonder how did George Floyd feel in his last moments as he was knelt upon for 8 minutesπŸ€”

It's so nice to be a reader for a change, if you had not taken over today the plan was to post the pics with a one liner, possibly a Risi By Name first!

When it comes to such matters like this my thoughts are you don't really invite people to come along with you on a jolly! What if something happened to them? It's just too much responsibility. This is very much a case of each to his own. Furthermore over the past few weeks I have been taken aback by how people come up with lame excuses to side with the oppressor.

So Tee how about you taking over blog permanently? You've done a brilliant job here today. Thank you πŸ˜˜πŸ’•

MCMπŸ™†πŸ½‍♀️ said...

Omo Risi well done. Thanks for helping mum while kneeling and preventing her from rolling on the floor with her hands behind her back.
To Risi: proud that you stand up for what you believe

Kuda said...

Well done Tee on taking us on the journey to stand for justice for current and future generations. Your actions are not in vain. Thanks for links to allow us to take action. Change is coming.

Seyi said...

Pleasantly articulated, change is imminent and indeed it has started. Thank you for the links at the bottom

Ronke Sobande said...




So proud of you, Tosin - you made yourself aware, took action by attending the protest and also speaking out to the world with this blog. This is leadership, Tosin. Keeping leading. I agree with you, we will not be silenced. Our people will not be silenced, our children will not be silenced and Tosin Oluwole will not be silenced.

When I watched George Floyd’s video I cried so much. I was so ashamed of humanity. I always tell my girls study hard and work hard. Try and be the best and this will earn you respect. I hear it all the time if only the blacks will get educated, behave right and stop the live of crime, this problem will stop. I say NO to that rubbish.

This is a typical narrative of an abuser always telling the abused person, if only you will act right and not provoke me. The problem is not us the Black. The White are the problem. They are narcissistic. They need to look deep inside themselves and figure out why they need to oppress us. Why they have so much evil πŸ‘Ώ in their heart.

Growing up in Lagos, I know how cows and goats are killed. They are held down with a knife to their neck. Apologies for the graphic description but I woke up one morning sad 😞😒 and thought that was exactly how George was treated. The officer won’t get up until it was confirmed to him, the person he held down was died. He won’t get up!! Keep filming abuse if you ever see it. Keep screaming at the abusers like the bystanders did for George. Keep posting, keep protesting, keep singing like 12 years old Keedron “I just want to live” and keep blogging. We will not be silent on this matter.

As always, so proud of my friend and sister, Ola for her continued parenting by example and leading the way.πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

Itunu✨✨ said...

I really believe the millennial generation across race, gender, background get the racial inequality narrative. I see them already making a difference on LinkedIn, IG, Twitter to name a few. Their words, ideas and actions. Well done Tee, love the idea of you taking over Risi's blog, so cool🀩.

Iya Ibeji said...

Tee well done!
A well written blog! The best blog i have ever readπŸ˜‰
We really need to get a lot more middle age parents out there, explaining how bad racism and police brutality impacts parents of victims lives.
Keep protesting!

Stella I said...

Weddon Risi pikin. Felt like I was there the whole time, such energy! Keep up the good work and thanks for helping mummy "get up" lolz

Beatrice said...

Well done Miss Tee, the daughter of Ms Risi. Thank you for looking after your mum. Glad to know you both had a well of a time. My son and his wife went out today. Mum Risi you have found your "Stand In"in case you are kept busy in your Plantation or when you are being interviewed by the BBC or ITV.

Tsola Abraham said...

Very well done Tee and Risi
May the efforts of our people be noted and the much needed change come to stay all over the world ..

Seun IO said...

Beautiful write up Tosin ��. Big sis, standing up for what we believe is always rewarding. We shall see and partake of the desired change in Jesus name.

Risi By Name said...

@Tsola Abraham 7 June 18:14

Tsholz a BIG well done to you also for making an appearance at the protest πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎ
Wasn't it just amazing?

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent write up. I am proud of you TosinπŸ‘ I couldn’t hold back tears when l watched George Floyd’s video. It is man inhumanity to man. No human being deserve the treatment meted out to George. Black people all over the world, apart from black countries, suffer the same fate. It is time for people with conscience to start condemning police brutality, aggression and oppression towards blacks. Blacks deserve respect. Black lives matter.
Ola, l doff my hat to you for participating in the protest despite the spread of COVID-19 and for raising a budding bloggerπŸ‘ ...FTA

Unknown said...

welldone,it's a giant stride.'Aluta continua victoria acerta'.No one fight your course for you.

GBU said...

Good job Tee. Your guest blog is so well written and with the added bonus of being witty.

Well Ola - times have changed since your 'friar Tuck'days! Who would have thought back then that you would one day join in with a protest march of this magnitude. Thanks goodness Tee decided to accompany you and keep you safe! Bending of the knee - is no small feat for people of our generation..

Well done to the both of you for going and making your feelings known..

Bukandy said...

a beautiful piece tosin, black lives matter.
You are indeed a chip of the old block. Keep it up

Anonymous said...

Well done but they say the George Floyd man is a criminal.

Risi By Name said...

@ Anon 9 June 10:16

Please don't get it twisted, we are not calling GEORGE FLOYD a Saint....our point is HE SHOULD STILL BE ALIVE✊🏿✊🏾✊🏽

Lolee said...

Nicely written Tosin, well done!

Anonymous said...

Ok, for arguement sake, if he were a criminal, still did not deserve die in that manner.

Anonymous said...

Well done T. Best blog so far on this platform. No offence to Risi. You took a stand for what you know is right and what you believe is right.

Can’t get the Image of GF out of my mind. life sniffed out of this gentle giant, in front of the world. Thank God for video evidence, his death would have been another, lie, injustice and one more statistic. Just too traumatic to think about the image and even more traumatic to watch it.

I am hoping that this will be the end of racism and especially Police brutality towards people of colour. Enough is enough.

It is also time to start having that discuss/conversation with our white counterparts. It is one thing to know the meaning of racism, it is another to understand it and it is another to be at the receiving end.

People of colour live it everyday and we are tired, it is exhausting. One can only take so much.

What does a white person know about racism. Let your friends know it is ok to have a discuss about racism. It is ok to initiate it, it is ok to school them, give them an idea of what it’s like to be over looked, to be ignored, to be told you are over reacting, to be seen as not capable, to be seen as not worthy, to be seen as a drug dealer when you are not, to be seen as a fraud when you are not, to be seen as what you are not just because of the colour of your skin. We do all the hard work at the office, the white manager signs it off and gets the glory. We are not deserving of the post but the hard work. We are constantly having to prove ourselves, very tiring.

I am optimistic that we will overcome/eradicate this racism pandemic sooner rather than later.

That last two week has been an unprecedented one and I am certain that Georges death will not be in vain. Progress is in sight,.

May he rest in peace while we continue with this struggle.

Unknown said...

Good job Tosin. It was nice reading your write up on your outing. Black life really does matter. The sooner this sinks in the heads of all concerned( racists) the better cause We are not black by choice and our forefathers taken as slaves then didnt choose to be taken away and loose their roots on their own. Den go take o. Won ma gba. 😣

Anonymous said...

A real good write up. Should show mum a few tricks.

DEE said...

Excellent and witty writeup. The apple is not far from the tree. Hey OLA...you are physically fit! Trust your daughter to give a lending hand to assist getting up.(lol) BR.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic
Really nice and interesting

God will continue to protect and bless us all

Demola

Nikki Africana said...

Tosin and Ola well done, Tosin it was nice that you went to give Ola the moral support she needed so proud of you.
The protests have helped to highlight that something needs to be done fast about racism.
Lets hope the committee set up by Boris is a step in the right direction.