Tuesday 3 October 2017

RANDOM THOUGHTS.....




Hi guys, sorry for the break in transmission.Yes I know it's been a while now since I last blogged, but well you know my motto….life happens!

Anyway luckily for you guys (never been one to be humble am I?) an old friend of mine has managed to get me to start writing again.
I had lost contact with them for a number of years and when I read from them recently through whatsapp, as we were discussing the situation ‘on ground’ in Naija and it’s influence on The Andrew-I'm-checking-out brigade.  It suddenly dawned on me that they were unaware that I had have a blog.
So I quickly sent them one of my most popular blog posts and asked them for feedback, surprisingly when I got their reply it was not what I expected….they replied and I quote:



‘Hilarious Ola…. And why did you say you stopped blogging? I actually preferred the “Spare The Rod” article. Keep it up. You are on point'

In my usual default mode, I replied that I'm blaming the hiatus on ‘writer’s block’ and I quickly revisited blog and read the article they were referring to and I did have a good giggle. I noted I’d written it in October 2016, it only had 8 comments and was potentially one of my least visited posts.
And that really got me thinking; I suddenly had this niggly feeling inside and I knew what it was….. blogging stopped being fun for me when I started getting hung up on the number of comments a post would generate!

My thinking became, the number of comments equalled quality of the post, which I now know not to be true. It also dawned on me that occasional off-handed remarks I received from people about the number of comments on my blog irked me and put me under pressure. I’ve now thought back to why I started to writing in the first place….. I write because I can!

Oh yeah there’s still more (it's all coming out in the wash) I felt that my writing style was rather stifled by that Naija thing was innate in me …you know…the concern about what Mrs Temadu or Mr lagbaja would think about what I was writing about.

I’m going to give you an example of this now. God bless a dear friend of mine, you know yourself!
He has a serious gripe with people who hold back and are not open. When I asked him ‘like how’ he gave the example of a person giving jist and not wanting to reveal the gender of the person they are talking about. An example of this is what I’ve done in the 2nd paragraph of this blog post. I bet he is going to ask me: Ola what’s with all the ‘they said’…‘I told them’…. ‘the person was unaware’ is it a he or a she???
And my reply will be ‘I have to respect ‘their’ privacy' At which point he would tear out his hair (if he had any)

Anyway, it's good to be back, it's been an interesting year and I look forward to dishing out some thought-provoking stuff.


On that note the new improved, less restrained ‘Risi By Name 2.0’ drops mic.



Man wey naked, no dey put hand for pocket ~ Unknown


πŸ’…

16 comments:

dee solution said...

Welcome back !!

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

@dee solution, you are too kind. Welcome back Sha? Whoreffa!!
I've moved on.

Beatrice said...

Aunty Risi, you are welcome back oo. I have missed your blog. Although I don't comment on them often, I do enjoy reading your 'posts'. Love ya girl.

Abe said...

I was going to pick you up on the 'they' and 'them' . Was not sure why a singular 'person' was being referred to in plural form; lol! Good to have you blogging again.

Dutch ecplorer said...

They said, I told them, quite hilarious a real 419
Nice to have u back

Anonymous said...

Wow. And to think Buhari, my friend had been wondering what had happened to my friend the blogger.
Welcome back o.

Seun said...

Glad to have you back :)

DokWan said...

About time.....

Anonymous said...

Yes oh, nice to back and kicking!!!
Deji.

Esther Akingbade-olatunji said...

Ore, did u leave...Lol... looking fwd with a �� to digest the next riveting off the press blog from you.����

Anonymous said...

Na wa, this was a long hiatus. I must ask a pertinent question regarding your absence and the question is did go to abroad ni. You are a good writer, so keep it up and don't let the haters disturb your flow. Peace and one Love from Uncle B. Pass me the Ayamase Rice whilst I read some of the old stories.

Kuda said...

Risi welcome back. We missed your refreshing reflections. Dish out the thoughts Risi....

Iya ibeji said...

Risi, you were missed, too much!

Anonymous said...

Great write up! Yes you write because you are... naysayers will always say nay, but destiny will always say yes to you!

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

As you have now settled me πŸ€‘, I will reluctantly restore my followership.

Don't do it again!😜😜
Welcome back.

Anonymous said...

E ka bo o. I heard you were picked up by immigration doing early mo mo in Peckham. That you were deported. Thank a God you are back. Keep your head down. We want to continue enjoying this blog. We are glad to have you back.