Monday 30 July 2018

IS IT COZ I IS BLACK?

                               

From title of this post you should know a major rant is uploading. 

I’m not here to play today, so I’m not observing my usual introductory protocol of banter or pretty pictures.  
I pray I can gather my thoughts to lay this one down exactly the way I want to as for once I’m somewhat ‘finger’ tied and not too sure what direction I'm going. 

So where do I start? I think I'm going to use the family of Stephen Lawrence as my reference point, if you live in the U.K. and don’t know who they are, there is just no point in you reading this blog post, you may as well just crawl back under the stone you've been living.


2018 marks the 25th anniversary of Stephen Lawrence's death, the black British teenager from South East London, who was murdered in a racially motivated attack in 1993. I’m not going into the details of Stephen’s death as it is well documented and quite a minefield. 

The term ‘Institutionalised Racism’ and ‘The Stephen Lawrence Police Investigation’ ran along side by side like the numbers ‘5’ and ‘6’ in fact I rephrase that, the police investigation actually morphed into ‘institutionalised racism’ both terms became interchangeable! One definition of this type of racism is: A pattern of social institutions  such as governmental organisations, schools, banks, police forces and courts of law giving negative treatment to a group of people based on their race. Institutional racism leads to inequality. 

This case led to what I can only classify as a ‘buy one get one free’ situation in that it was two-fold. On the one hand there was the tragic racially motivated slaughter of an innocent black man and as if that loss was not painful enough, WE had the failure of the police to provide an appropriate and professional police investigation to The Lawrence's because of their colour, culture and/or ethnic origin. 

Earlier in the year to mark the anniversary of Stephen’s death The BBC ran a three-part documentary series examining his murder and the police investigation that followed. The nation watched the series over 3 days with rapt attention and we all had our thoughts. I personally felt sick to the stomach, but watching the interviews of Stephen’s mother, Doreen Lawrence I just didn't quite take to her, in my opinion she came across as the ‘stereotype’ black hard, bitter, angry woman, When she spoke of the police and media in interviews she’s granted over the years you could feel, taste and hear the coldness, hatred in her voice. While the father, Neville, came across as much more personable and forgiving. I kept these thoughts to myself though. 

So where am I going with all this?
In the novels it normally starts like this:
‘It was a bright summer’s evening last Friday, England had been having a heatwave, the press had dubbed the day as ‘Furnace Friday’.  
I was chilling in Biola’s studio after work with my 9 year nephew and 10 year old niece, she was putting the finishing touches to one of her designs for a customer. The kids were having a blast generally messing around and happy that I had brought a cheeky McDonald’s for them. They are excited because the next day we have a church barbecue and also a family birthday party to attend and jollof is on the menu! They are not too pleased about their dad, my brother, not being able to attend the party though as duty called in Oxford where he would be working for the weekend. 

I sit down watching Biola working her magic fixing rhinestones on an outfit she is making, so much attention to detail and I know I should offer to give her a hand but I'm just too tired so I just chat away. The phone rings, it's my brother calling to see how she's doing, the phone is on speaker and he asks us about logistics for our outing the next day, then asks to speak to the kids and tells them he will see them on Sunday. He then rounds off the call. 

So our happy upbeat summer tempo continues for a while until our jist is interrupted by a call, Biola answers it’s my brother again . She's not on speakerphone this time but I observe her listening with rapt attention and her facial expression changes. She asks him ‘What do you mean?’ ‘What kind of raid’ Why? When? What do you mean they were banging at the door? What did they do? What do you mean they went through your stuff? Like how? Ok until they saw your ID card?
By now my antenna has raised as  ‘I am understanding’ 
The children have stopped playing they are looking at their mum with concern on their faces. Biola notices the kids are watching her and I feel that her demeanour is very calm for what I can only guess my brother is telling her over the phone.  The word ‘Police’ has popped up a few times so nothing really left to the imagination. The call eventually ends and before she can tell me what has gone down I say to her ‘Police raid right?’ And she replies ‘yes’. 
‘Police raid at where exactly?’ I ask and she says in his hotel room! ‘Biola I am not understanding’ I asked her on what grounds have they raided my brother’s hotel room, ‘Suspicion of human trafficking and slave trade’

I’m not going into much detail, as I will leave that for my other brother Ahmed (aka Alatenumo) to write a much more detailed exposè.  As I am writing from perspective of family member and the impact it has on one. 
This was allegedly a case of mistaken identity, apparently a  black male guest had lodged at the hotel sometime ago who ‘they’ suspected of human trafficking, he checks out and a few weeks later my brother checks in and because he's black (and you know we black folk all look the same!) it had to be the same person. So police come to raid his room and only back down when they stumble across his ID. I have so many questions about police intelligence like I really wondered didn't ‘they’ check hotel record for name of ‘their’ alleged suspect that purportedly stayed at hotel before! 
Then obviously following the script one of the police officers had to be a ‘Black brother’ to make up the numbers and he actually attempted to make light of the whole incidence with a ‘bruva to bruva’ quip when they realised their mistake, suggesting my brother would possibly have laugh about this later in the pub!

The aftermath of my brothers phone call was the kids asking what's going on, their mum told them nothing. My nephew said he had understood a police raid had happened and she may as well tell him. We got my brother back on the phone and part of his conversation with the kids was this:
Nephew: Daddy what happened?
Daddy: Don't worry son it's all good
Nephew: Daddy how can policemen raiding your room be good??
Daddy: That's just an expression we use, don't worry I'm ok. 

My niece was visibly upset you could just see it. We initially sat in silence after, you could have cut the air with a knife. We just had nothing to say to each other, the whole evening had been dampened. Biola just worked in silence, while I sat their shaking my head, sucking my teeth and sighing. If I felt so violated how were my brother and family feeling? Kids left the room. I told Biola I feel sick, she said she could not describe how she was feeling. We concluded ‘when it happens it happens’ and they will always hide behind ‘their’ policy. Look at them the wrong way and they will take you down all hidden under the guise of red tape and/or their fear for their safety.  She said there is no room for mediocrity for the black man as there is no system in place to fight the battle meanwhile a person from the privileged race can be who they are without judgement. 
My views on Doreen Stephen's demeanour changed immediately, I got her!

Our mind flashed to The Uncle Tom’s….I know loads. 
Uncle Tom definition: A black person who is overeager to win the approval of whites (as by obsequious behaviour or uncritical acceptance of white values and goals)

We also have black people that believe that because they have reached certain standing in life they are immune from racism, I have news for you….they are coming for you! You may live in your glass house and continue pretending this thing is not happening but it is a real jungle out there. 

My brother is genuinely a humble person who plays himself down and never really credits himself for all his good work (nothing like me!) He is a consultant psychiatrist with lots of letters after his name and notches on his belt, he also teaches psychiatry trainees/resident doctors around the world. He just does not look the same as his fairer skinned ‘privileged’ peers.This incident was not a pleasant one but could have been much worst if he had been one of those delusional people that feel that they are different and have one over the less privileged Ali G’s fictional ‘Is it coz I is black?’ brigade who they perceive as only having themselves to blame when they are at the receiving hand of racism. 



Phew! I think I can breathe a bit better now that I got some of that off my chest.  
The irony of the title of the BBC documentary “Stephen: The murder that changed the nation”

Readers, do you think this case changed the nation?



17 comments:

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

hello ranting and raging woman aka BWA

I risk opening myself to criticism with this response, but I'm old enough and ugly enough to say what I like. I will write two comments so it does not become a blog in itself and the Pros first so I don't get chewed up instantly.


1. Stephen Lawrence case did not change a Nation, a crying shame after such a loss.
2. A black president of the freeworld did not change anything, and
3. A black duchess will change nothing either.

Change will come to the black community only from the black community.

A few years ago a I watched an English film starring David Oyelowo aka Martin Luther King in the film "Selma". In the film, his aunty told him black people are "like crabs in a pot, when one crab tried to climb out, the others came together to pull it back into the Pot"

Change will come when we all stop being "crabs in a pot"

Change will come when we don't have to leave our country to be second class citizens abroad

Change will come when we get rid of all the "HORRIBLE OLD MEN" ruling many African Nations of African countries.

Much has been made about MLK's speech "I have a dream", no one remembers the fact that black people had started to walk away from the rally until he said that. What he stood for and campaigned for didn't matter until he uttered those 3 now famous words.
Change will only come when black people respect actions and not rhetorics

Unknown said...

“I have news for you........... They are coming for you!” That was the one sentence that truly resonated with me because it’s soooo true. All you black people who voted for Trump and Brexit............. Fooling ya selves, innit?!

Akeem, pele jare! No mind them. SMH

Risi, how body now? Long time no see or chat.

❤ to you all.

Soji Sigbeku

Anonymous said...

Honestly I was stunned when I heard about this, I had a similar reaction to what you said in your blog, When racism comes close to your door, it suddenly becomes very real, Fight The Power ✊🏾

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

Now for my second comment, the lynch pin.

Don't get me wrong slavery was a vile injustice and completely evil, when I listen to or watch anything about slavery, a righteous indignation wells up inside me and God help the first white person that comes my way!!. That said I recognize the FACT that white people only capitalized on what we were already doing before they arrived in Africa.I don't know a lot of families that didn't have maids/menservants when I was growing up in Nigeria. Maids were regularly sexually abused by Oga and his Sons. No Oyinbo there.

Sometimes I wonder if tribalism is not as evil as slavery. I read 2 books a while back ...... I know, 2 whole books! (Don't panic they had a lot of pictures inside)
Depictions of the pure evil that was the Biafran War. Currently, the Boko Haram situation in Nigeria today has all the Hallmarks of tribalism and religion. No oyinbo there!

I think it is somewhat hypocritical to send our children to independent fee paying schools in the UK (where public schools are generally decent)and not accept that we are "Uncle Toms" of a type. I am not throwing "Shade" (I just learnt that slang)on anyone because I am just as guilty.

I have been caught out on a couple of occasions doing exactly "all blacks look alike" to White folks. I mixed up 2 of my daughters friends all the time and my excuse was always, they look very alike. Until my daughter pointed out that one was Blond and the other Brunette, a glaring difference. On another occasion, my lil sis asked me if I remembered a friend of hers to which I very arrogantly said "of course, she was here when so and so happened" It turned out she wasn't that person and I tried to use my age old excuse they look like each other. Like my daughter, she didn't cut me any slack, when she pointed out my " All whites look alike" faux pas

If you've ever been a victim of crime and you were assisted by the Police, you may appreciate that there is good and bad in them. That raid inconvenienced your brother, but there are documented instances where such a raid saved young girls from a life of prostitution and modern slavery.

The moral of the story is "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water".

Unknown said...

Hmmmm.I read through in a flash. Great writing. My younger brother has lived in the United States for almost 20 years now and has some sordid tales to tell on the racism matter. That's in spite of having gone to a decent school for his first degree and an ivy league for his masters. And in spite of having a very decent white collar job that takes him around the world. Racism is alive and very well in God's own country try too, as very well demonstrated by the main narrative that drove Trumps election.

But its the comment from Foluke that really got me. Connecting the racism to how we have failed to make our countries less of "shit holes" by being willing captives of a new slave master in the greedy and grubby African politician. How we demonstrate Stockholm's Syndrome of unimaginable complexity consistently. Until we fight to make our home countries better by taking down the vested interests determined to keep them impoverished by all means necessary (not preaching violence of any sort though), we will forever suffer racist slants, slurs and abuse. Until "white" people can come to Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal etc and marvel at what we've done, they will not respect us.

Like I said before, great article Risi. And best regards to your brother. I hope you guys do file a formal complaint that might just save the life of the next, less fortunate victim of this irresponsible profiling.

Cheers

Unknown said...

Wow. This must have been really upsetting. Am surprised Uncle Akeem din't tell me the story though. We usually have our chit chat when he gets back from work. I will however agree with Foluke Gabriel on this one. I have not been in this country for long buterI feel disturbed at how some of our black folks completely lack the spirit of excellence. If you were not born with it, at least you can learn it. That's why I weep for my dear country where our leaders have spent billions travelling around the world on the guise of acquiring training and expertise and still do nothing. That black brother who decided to human traffic and not do right put uncle Akeem at risk of being checked. I also agree with Segun on the note that until these guys can come to our country and marvel at what we have made of it. They really won't respect us. Uncle Akeem I will have to hear this encounter from the horses mouth later today. Sis Ola, you are a brilliant writer.

Alatenumo said...

@ Foluke Gabriel

Advance apologies for typos.

Sister Foluke, I have read your comments with interest. I agree that token solution like having a Black AmeriKKKan president and having a Black Duchess will not solve our problem. However, saying change will not come until we stay in Africa is a very simplistic solution. Your assumption is that every black person in the Western Hemisphere is an immigrant from Africa. In Britain, we have Afro Caribbeans who did not emigrate from Africa, yet they are treated like Sh#t, we have Afro Cubans who are treated like Sh#t. In America, we have Afro Americans who are treated like Sh#t. Running away from your problem does not solve the problem. Say you run away to Africa to escape racism and then end up facing tribalism in Lagos, what do you do? Runaway to Imo to escape tribalism. Change does not come from running away from your problem but it comes from confronting and tackling your problem.

Sister Foluke, I agree we should get rid of these old African leaders, but that still does not solve the problem. Even if Africa is the praise of nations, it will not solve the problem. I watched a YouTube video in which one man said the solution to the killing of blacks in AmeriKKKa was to acquire wealth. A flaw with this argument is that white supremacy does not differentiate between a rich black man and a poor black woman. A man coming from Africa or a man staying in Africa. You can go to Cambridge or no Bridge, speak the queens English, work at Goldman Sachs or No Sachs. As long as you are black, when you look the other way, the white supremacist will see you as nothing but a bloody nigger.

Alatenumo said...

@Foluke


Also, I suggest you don't stop at that famous MLK speech, which the white supremacist have used to sanitise and deodorise MLK to make him a harmful peaceful black icon. After he made that speech, he realised that racism was endemic in America and later said I saw my dream turn into a nightmare. On the eve of his death, he was working on an article titled."Why America is going to hell.". So I would suggest that you stop quoting MLK to knock the black race down, leave it to the white supremacist to do it.

Now to the second part of your post Sister Foluke. You express your ignorance by stating Don't throw the baby out of the bathtub. You show that you have a limited understanding of institutional racism. The police force and a number of other institutions for the want of a better word are institutionally racist. The media have programmed us to believe that all blacks are criminals, once they ingrain this on our minds, we are then quick to come to the police defence when they gun down a black man or woman. I don't know your background, but if you have a son , would you be comfortable seeing him handled by the police? I know the next thing you'd probably say is "What about black on black crime?" And to that, I'd ask you if you know that over 80% of violence on whites are inflicted by whites and yet it is never called "White on white crime".

Alatenumo said...

@FolukSister Foluke, on slavery, yes some blacks sold their fellow brothers and sisters into slavery. But guess what? They were in the minority. Furthermore, we now have a 21st century variant of those African slave merchants - They are the modern-day Uncle Toms and Aunty Jemimas who come to the defence of the white man when their fellow black brethren are humiliated, oppressed and killed by the white supremacist.

Tribalism is a crime just like racism, but I don't understand the logic for you bringing this to the table. That is once again another device used by the white supremacist to downplay racism. When blacks bring up the issue, they are silenced with the phrase, "But blacks are also practice tribalism" It does not have to be either/or, it can be Both/And. We can both condemn racism and tribalism.

Sister Foluke, I don't think you know what is the meaning of Uncle Tom. I'd suggest you do more research into it. In that way, you would not go to an open forum to say that a person who sends kids to a private school is an Uncle Tom. You could read Malcolm X speech on a modern day Uncle Tom to get a complete perspective.

About "All black people looking the same", you once again use the rhetorics of a white supremacist to downplay a serious matter. You create a false equivalence by comparing a life and death situation with how you mixed your daughters friends up.

So sister Foluke, my advice to you is

a) Wealth is not an antidote to racism
b) Stop using the rhetorics of white supremacists to justify white supremacy
c) Acknowledge the havoc the police have caused in black communities
d) Study more on what it takes to be an Uncle Tom and most importantly,

STAY WOKE.

Selah

@Alatenumo

Abe said...

People should not discuss racism when there’s very poor understanding of it. Comparing having maids and tribalism to racism is incomprehensible .the ‘formers’ are purely based on privileges and prejudice while racism has to do with institutionalised disadvantage and deprivation !
Or connecting racism to how we ve failed to make our African nations less of s...holes Displays such a simplistic knowledge about both politics as well as racism!
What is your quota to making your country great again?

Mixing up your daughter’s friends could be a prejudice on your part but in no way is it in comparison to racial discrimination. Calling a blonde a brunette just because you chose not to make the effort would in no way affect her self esteem , or her rights to a good job or expose her to a higher likelihood of police badging into her hotel room on a raid!
Deciding to give your children the best education or opportunity within your capacity is in no way a display of Uncle Tom or Aunty Jemima. In my opinion that is called fulfilling your responsibility.
One of the issues the African Americans have with us Africans is when we give such a simplistic solution as working harder or studying further to fighting racism. The honest truth is sometimes you are even victimised for being ‘ the privileged token’
If Africans feel, they have a place to go back to; a lot of other black people do not know anywhere else as Home apart from Europe or US and yet they face such discrimination and injustice just for their race! Imagine the impact on mental health and social being.

Please let us respect the importance of context and what is appropriate and for once can we as black people speak up against racial injustice .
I shall rest my case as Ahmed as highlighted some of these issues.
And as rightly said ; they are coming for you.. no black person is immune to racial discrimination .

Alatenumo said...

@Abe

Well said Sister Abe. Let he that has ears .....

Anonymous said...

FTA
It is a pity that Akeem went through that ugly incident.
However, the truth is that we blacks, in our relationship with whites suffer from one racism or the other. I believe this is as a result of a few percentages of blacks who will not conform to the norms of the society. An adage in Yoruba says “eru kan nii muni bu igba eru” (my interpretation – other slaves are maltreated because of the ill manner behavior of one slave). I am going to use Nigerians as my example because I live in Nigeria. For instance, there is a stereotype attitude to Nigerians when you apply for visas. Genuine applicants are refused visas on the flimsy excuse that the applicants will not return to the country of his/her birth because few successful applicants have misused the opportunity by refusing to return home at the expiration of their approved stay. It is this same stereotype attitude that makes innocent Nigerians go through rigorous checks at borders, which other nationals are not subjected to, because of the attitude of few Nigerians who carry drugs. In Indonesia and some of these Islamic countries, their laws stipulate death for drug pushers, but till tomorrow, my country men still carry drugs to those countries believing that they can wangle their way out as it is done in Nigeria. These are just two examples out of the numerous shady things Nigerians do and give us all bad image.
I am not defending the action of whites as right, because we cannot exonerate them if we go into the issue of slave trade, the man inhumanity to man … a topic for another day; but l think blacks need a change of attitude.
I therefore totally agree with Foluke that change will come to black community only from the black community. Change will come when Africans develop their nations/continent. Change will come when all of us including our leaders are strongly committed to the change we desire through obedience to the rule of law, ridding our system of corruption and giving selfless service for our nations to grow and be able to hold our heads high in the comity to nations FTA

Alatenumo said...

@Anons 20.35

There are also White people who go to emerging economies and prey on young children. Does that then mean that any attack on a random white person in an emerging economy is explainable because of the deviant behaviour of a few whites?


A major problem plaguing our community is the Stockholm syndrome. From my interaction with members of the different races over the years, I have since arrived at the conclusion that black race differs from other races in the sense that we are the only race that comes up with excuses to justify our oppression and humiliation. Watch how the Jews are handling Jeremy Corbyn. They are not coming up with ten excuses as to why they are being ill-treated that way by the Labour Party. They point the blame on their oppressor and address the evil via a united front. We should learn from them instead of justifying our humiliation by citing examples of deviant behaviour of a minute number of black people.

The blame should be laid on the perpetrator not the victim.

Selah.

@Alatenumo

Foluke (Bose) Gabriel said...

OMG!! @alatenumo, @Abe
I thought long and hard before writing this reply, however sInce all your commentry is directed at me and not the actual blog and the question it poses, I will respond just ONCE!

BIGOTRY! BIGOTRY! BIGOTRY!
That is all I read from your comments.
The fact that it is directed at ‘White Supremacists’ as you put it does not make it any better.

The concept of ‘small sin’ and ‘big sin’ is lost on me. All SIN is SIN. Two wrongs is not equal to one right.
Bigotry is Bigotry whether it is considered justifiable or not.







Anonymous said...

@ Folake
I feel your discomfort (I imagine you are uncomfortable).
I agree that bigotry is bigotry just as a famous Ghanaian said- "all die, na die."
I strongly believe that we need to move on from the slavery rhetoric.
It is a tragic part of our history but all big change comes with millions of little steps. That change lies within us.
Let the man (or woman) in the mirror speak their truth but he/she must also walk the walk. Behaviour that fits the stereotype only reinforces it and delays further the day that the ignorance underpinning racism (and by the way, all other -isms which need to be vilified as vociferously) will end. This is a far more effective weapon in the fight.
As far as racial profiling is concerned, it is not about to end any time soon, people, until we give them a different stereotype to feed their minds. So by all means rale against it, but meet these unfortunate events (eg stop & search)with a calm, quiet and intelligent mien.
Let our behaviour challenge their little minds and show an alternative view.
Racism is no worse than ageism, tribalism, homophobia, gender pay gap etc. They should all be fought against as they unfairly disadvantage a section of our community.

A Concerned Citizen said...

@Folake

English Oxford dictionary defines bigotry as ‘intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself’.

My question to you is that, are you saying that we should be more tolerant of your white supremacist views?

A More Concerned Citizen said...

I don't think Folake has expressed white supremacist views here, A Concerned Citizen.
Your concern should extend to tolerance for all, including white supremacists. They simply hold views different from yours based on race.
Tolerance does not mean agreement but you have to respect their right to hold their own views even if you don't agree with those views.
If given any opportunity to enter dialogue with them, you can then have a discourse about the merits and demerits of your differing opinions.