Sunday 24 May 2020

IT IS WHAT IT IS...


The goofy ‘social distanced’ photograph above was taken with my mate Chris earlier this week, at work. You may recall in my previous blog post KEEP ON MOVING… 2 weeks ago, I mentioned that some colleagues had been interviewed by ITV News, well Chris just happens to be one of them. I refer to these colleagues as ‘The Chosen Ones’ though it’s not as if I’m bitter about not being the one interviewed or anything, neither am I jealous over their successful ITV debut ๐Ÿ˜

Anyways you can imagine my joy this week to find out that BBC News were also visiting the plantation, I got really excited and thought to self ‘Yes Ola this is it’ so you can only imagine the shock, horror, heartache and despair I felt on finding out that as ‘The Chosen Ones’ had already done such a tremendous job at their ITV interview, it had been agreed that it was only logical that they were the ones to be interviewed by the BBC too ๐Ÿ™„.
Chris on BBC News

I make it very clear to Chris that I'm not impressed with him making yet another TV appearance, so he suggests we take a selfie together as he reckons that's the nearest I'm ever gonna get close to fame by my association with him!
So in jest, out come the Rayban’s and a selfie is taken which I annotate with the green handwritten ‘BBC 1’ watermark that you see on the photograph. As the the song goes ‘Fake It Till You Make It….It Took Ya Mama 9 Months To Make It ๐Ÿ˜˜

So basically once again we go through all the shenanigans with filming at the plantation, lights, camera, action the whole shebang. I roll my eyes as Chris, Helen and Lesley are interviewed for a 2nd time though I must admit they come across incredibly professional. The reporter is Michael Buchanan, BBC’s Social Affairs Correspondent.  


Lights, Camera, Action.....Helen in The Hot Seat!
Once filming is complete and reporter is out of sight, I make quick dash over to the camera man’ and from a safe social distance say:

“Mr Cameraman I don’t care who you are and I may not have the authority to force you to film me here today. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you film me and I appear on BBC news tonight that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if I don't appear, I will look for you, I will find you and I will deal with you” ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ณ
(Round of applause for Liam Neeson, if you know you know, otherwise kindly ‘revert’ to Iconic Movie quotes)

Well maybe I didn't actually speak to him in those exact words, but what I did tell him after he had filmed ‘The Chosen Ones’ ๐Ÿ™„ and was packing up his equipment away I smugly slid across the room smiling at him sweetly “Bros but why now? Can't you see that I'm an ethnic minority, where is the diversity in the filming you have done here today, you can't leave without filming me oh, I must appear on the BBC news representing BAME (Black, Asian and minority ethnics) on this plantation furthermore I pay my TV licence fee and I know my rights ๐Ÿ‘€”

One minute silence please……The awkward moment my ‘STAY WOKE’ brothers Akeem and Ahmed bring out a bowl of water, pour Dettol inside, then wash their hands of me with thoughts of ‘Ola you’re actually playing and abusing the race card!’ ๐Ÿ‘€ translated to ‘Egbami o, doesn't this girl have any shame’ ๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿพ‍♂️

Anyways, one Smart Alec co-plantation worker (every plantation unfortunately has one!) quickly chips in “Come on Ola the coverage is diverse, after all they’ve filmed both male and female colleagues here today, is there no pleasing you”๐Ÿ˜  I eyeball him!

By now the camera man is smiling to himself, possibly thinking ‘what a fruity mix here’ but next thing I notice he does actually start unpacking his tripod, camera, lights and ‘tinzs’ and sets up again in the corner of plantation๐Ÿ˜ฎ
I then attempt to push my luck further by casually asking camera man whether he could possibly make me look slimmer in the footage, he replies “WTF lady…. I'm a cameraman not a magician”, well not really! he actually ignores me but starts panning the camera across the office towards me, so I sprint towards a desk. No time to powder nose, sit straight or pull my stomach in. Say 'cheese' Ola ๐ŸŽฌ๐Ÿ“ธ๐Ÿ˜ฉ
It's So Hard Being Me!

The rest is history as that same evening my phone starts ringing and pinging…..as Risi By Name makes her Ollywood debut (Pun intended).  Risi don enta anada leffulls ๐Ÿ˜œ
My ‘silhouette’ features on the 1pm, 6pm and 10pm BBC news on 19th May.
The next morning I strut into work like a peacock, Scoreboard currently reads Chris-2, Ola - 1
Another Day....Another £
Do you have any claim to fame? Even if only a nanosecond TV appearance like mine!
In fact I must share this one, at a BC (Before COVID) birthday family outing back in September as we kicked off the evenings celebration with an icebreaker, my cousins wife said her claim to fame was that as an unfertilised egg in her mother’s fallopian tube that it was HER and no other egg that made tedious long journey down to the uterus to be fertilised by one of the million spermatozoa vying for her attention. THAT she claimed was literally a life changing event in her life and her greatest achievement till date, How's that for originality? ๐Ÿ˜

Extra Extra Read All About It: Dominic Cummings has also been caught out flouting the Lock down rules. It really does seem they make the rules, punish us if we break them and then defend each other if they do the same thing. I really wonder if he will last the week!

On that note, remember to maintain that 2 metre gap and enjoy the rest of your day.
It's a wrap.

Shoes speak louder than words๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ~ Anonymous

๐Ÿ’…๐Ÿพ

20 comments:

MCM๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿพ‍♂️ said...

So it's Ollywood next๐Ÿ˜‚
I remember in the mid seventies when my mum was to appear on TV, a camera crew from NTA had come to her office to interview them on a topic "Health is Wealth"
My mum was one of the select few. When it got to mum's turn she said there is no health in Nigeria so there is no wealth ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

That evening we all gathered by the TV waiting for mum's debut. Guess what?? Mum had been edited out as she had not followed the government propaganda script. She was proud of herself with no regrets though.
Hated my mum for robbing us of that opportunity, depriving us telling our friends.

Iya Ibeji said...

I am hardly ever bored. Love myself too much! But Tuesday I went to bed early, wasn’t even sleeping. Then suddenly heard Baba Ibeji screaming my name, I did the counting game I used to do at home when mum called. (Count to 5 and she will call someone else). Hubby was like a dog with a bone, came bounding up the stairs, puts on the telly and rewinds...it is Ola! I watched then quickly pause it and call all my children to come and watch aunty Ola on telly. I am lucky it is aunty Ola. I am lucky I have raised well behaved children. They look and go!
I think they thought someone somewhere had found the antidote to COVID-19! They appeared slightly miffed, I had called them excitedly. I was on a high, texted her immediately,
I was no longer bored.Do you agree that it takes very little to cheer anyone up these days?

Unknown said...

Typical you Risi. Okun no dey carry last. Omo Ashabi.

KennySho said...

One small step (silhouette on BBC 1) for Risi, one large step for BAME woman kind. The poor camera man didn’t know whether or not his life was safe after your not so subtle threat to his life. BBC must have thought, we better film this woman or we will be embroiled in litigation for life. Well done.

Meanwhile, your statement “though it’s not like I am bitter” about the chosen ones is ehn???? Not supported by your quest for fame. Well written. Enjoyed it throughly.

Stella I said...

By hook or by crook .....we sha must appear. See how unpredictable life can be. I was looking forward to your part2 from last Sunday, only for events to take over. I really love this. You know your picturesque writing's always a delight. Weddon gehl! Happy Sunday.

Anonymous said...

If only you worked as hard as you looked like you were...hee hee

Beatrice said...

Awww, my Aburo from the Plantation is now appearing in the latest movie in Ollywood. Well done you and the Oscar for the BAME 2020 Awards goes to .....

Well written as usual but I am vexed that I missed the Memo about not forgetting to watching the BBC News on that day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha. Risi what's next? Nollywood?

Itunu said...

Whatever next, Ola & Chris show ����

Anonymous said...

Lol@"...But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career....."
๐ŸคฃThat one has me giggling #Taken

Anonymous said...

The awkward moment my ‘STAY WOKE’ brothers Akeem and Ahmed bring out a bowl of water, pour Dettol inside, then wash their hands of me with thoughts of ‘Ola you’re actually playing and abusing the race card!

Ha ha ha ha, laugh to the bank

Ronke Sobande said...

Hey Ore! Nice piece as usual! No camera moment for me but now I can claim celebrity status by association! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

DokWan said...

The waka-pass lady photobombing you by water bottle no 'ep rara ....!!!

Blog was engaging, nonetheless.

TenQ

Dela said...

My darling Ola,
Great piece as always. Might send your TV clip to our TV star cousin as she might be able to get you a part in her new play. But on a serious note you have a natural flair for writing , ever thought of writing a novel?

Belle of the Ball said...

Your interesting vivid writing is always a breathe of fresh air...still cracking up from your race card “threat” to the camera man.

Biola Okafor said...

My friend is now a star!

Welcome to 'ollywood'. Still basking in the euphoria of being the friend of a celebrity even if your appearance was only for a millisecond, I'm still proud of you ' ara ee na ni' as we say in yoruba.

Appointing myself your PA and already organising an autograph signing session for you.

Nikki Africana said...

Nice one Ola. Risen to fame you are now an Ollywood star at least the camera man gave in to your request at last.
I wonder how l missed the news on that day.
Hopefully you'll have your own TV show soon.
Looking forward to your next blog.

Esther Akingbade-olatunji said...

Oh my ! Olatunde ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€actually I was not surprised . You have that invariable tenacity . Next will be The Ola show on BBC 1. I like it. Excellent. Now back to plantation ๐Ÿ˜†. Looking forward to your next blog ore.

DEE said...

Nice one! Maybe we see you next in a comedy show on BBC๐Ÿ˜Ž. You've not changed a bit...still as humorous and witty.

Anonymous said...

Ollysue, you enjoyed your five minutes of fame. What next, BBC, ITV, (home), Hollywood (away) by the time we wake up, you will be mingling with the likes of Oprah, rolling in dollars. I am watching this space. Well done. Baba Risi, bless his soul, will be so proud of his Local Champion daughter.