Friday 26 March 2021

LET THEM EAT CAKE.....

   


The picture above was taken on a Friday afternoon last October, when one was still trying to make the most of any window of opportunity that presented itself between lockdown. So this was Afternoon Tea at The Farmhouse in Hitchin with Itunu, my sister from another mother. It was such a kerfuffle to sync our diaries to make this date happen with all the uncertainty at the time. 

And such a splendid day it was, I was looking so forward to blogging about our experience and showing off our spread of cakes, scones and dainty sandwiches.  Before I could though there was a turn of events with the End SARS protests in Lagos that we were keeping our eye on and then #Lekkitollgate incident happened! Suddenly our Afternoon Tea outing paled into total insignificance. I archived this photo and others we took on the day and the right time to flex or show it off just never presented itself in the following weeks or months. 



So this is where the title of today’s post comes in to play  ‘Let Them Eat Cake’ is a famous quote attributed to a French Princess during the French Revolution in response to hearing that the poor people in her Kingdom were starving and had no bread to eat. 

Her callous remark led to her becoming a much hated symbol of the monarchy at a time when France was reeling from poverty, depression and food shortage. 


Today the phrase is synonymous with ‘insensitivity to something’ or ‘incomprehension of realities of the life of the less fortunate’. 


A classic example of this comes to mind. Ever been in a WhatsApp group where the death of a member has been announced?

The usual trend is for the announcement to be followed by a few ‘May they rest in perfect peace’ then the next message is either a funny meme, joke or something totally off point or inappropriate. And you just wonder....πŸ€”

Occasionally the offender gets called out and asked to show some decorum. But before you know it someone will jump to the perpetrator’s defence saying we all grieve differently so the person should be left aloneπŸ™„


Do you have any bug bears like this type of insensitivity that just grates on you? Please share. 


Let’s thank God it’s Friday and yes I know it’s been a while. Thanks for all my ‘encouragers’ I promise you’ll be reading from me more frequently. On that note as my people say  ‘Let me come and be going’🚢🏾‍♀️🚢🏾‍♀️


Tact-The art of getting your point across without stabbing someone with it. 

πŸ’…πŸΎ



15 comments:

Harry-Meg said...

Lovely pic hope u had a great time, however can you request bournvita or milo.....that's my definition of "tea"

What grates on me is being forced to send birthday wishes to someones wife who is not on a forum.
I once thanked members for posting birthday wishes to me. I replied "many thanks for your wishes much appreciated"
Some smart alec pulled me up that my response was too short.

Still waiting for your Harry & Meghan scoop....ta la

Pritybraun said...

That infamous statement was made by Marie Antoinette, Queen of France and wife of Louis the 16th. She lost her head for it under the gulliotine, poor sod.
I'm having such feelings now from my Old Bulgarian Students Association.
I just lost a very close friend who was also a member having also studied in Bulgaria which is where we first met.
People have been posting jokes and all sorts and I felt to myself that it was inappropriate really. Haven't said anything yet. I'm trying not to cause conflict but should it continue further I feel like I shall. So insensitive and i do not appreciate it at all.

Pritybraun said...

That photograph's beautiful btw!πŸ₯°

Anonymous said...

For me it all depends on how I even became a member of a forum and of course, the 'audience'. On some, I am totally mute while on some others, I am active. The subject of discourse is also important in eliciting the type of response that I post. There are of course some WhatsApp forum polizia who do the most. I take no prisoners IF you come at me or something I post because I believe you can DM me 1st. It's really all down to the nature of the camaraderie on the forum methinks...

TsolZie said...

Finally we get to hear from you Missy..
Thanks for sharing this as watsapp groups are becoming the fastest ways friendships et all crash.

People are become more desensitised .
All they are interested in, is getting their next joke or achievement seen.
My old school watsapp group is for the boys.
Even though our school was a mixed school, the boys have managed to silence all the girls who no longer participate in any discussions ..

By the way, where’s our share of the summer cake ?πŸ˜„

Esther Akingbade-olatunji said...

The pic looks good girlfriend. Missed your blog post for a bit Ola.
Well, I belong to a few forums but not particularly very active on them😁. I simply stay mute or display the quick HBD wishes etc. However, I am passionate and active on anything that gets my back on any of the platforms. They can disagree to agree with me... as long as I get my point across. πŸ˜‚

Iya BejiπŸ‘ΆπŸΎπŸ‘ΆπŸΎ said...

I can’t wait for lockdown to be lifted for good. Now, after a whole year of lockdown I appreciate what it is to be able to visit a random place, order a meal, a drink, eat drink and relax!
Bring back the simple pleasures of life!

Anonymous said...

The one that I don’t like is when popular people post numerous pictures of themselves in same outfit but different posture one with hand on hip, another hand on waist another hand on head. So boring, vain Then everyone is forced to be greeting them otherwise they say one is bitter.

Ibironke Sobande said...

Hi Ola! So happy to read your blog! Another sign of normalcy returning. The restrictions have been lifted in Maryland so I went to a restaurant for the first time in over a year. I was so excited. I am just waiting to be vaccinated!

Sensitivity to others’ pain is called empathy so I was equally shocked when people couldn’t take a minute to respect the loss of a friend or classmates. Shocking to say the least. The golden rule - treat others the way you want to be treated - need I say more.

DokWan said...

Welcome back Risi.
Nice photo, BTW.

I loathe people who send greetings meant for you to all the groups you both belong to.....unnecessary.

I generally stay silent on most groups esp large ones. I lack tact but sometimes, sofri sofri, take catch monkey. I try.... and I'm trying. But woe betide anyone who assaults my delicate sensitivities hahaha !!!

ItunuπŸ’«πŸ’« said...

Sis Olly babes! Is this what you will call making a guest appearance on your famous blog post. Highly honoured!
Really glad we didn't sleep on all the many times (outside lockdown) we met up. Face masks and sanitisers in tow.

I've been following BBC pidgin English lately and I've been naively jumping onto the comments section. It could be anything as mundane as what they(the viewers) see to be a revealing outfit. You'd get to read comments reigning insults from the actresses forefathers to her unborn kids just because of her choice of outfit! It's madness! That's just a very simple example.....

Tola Gbogboade said...

Welcome back from your hiatus. It is wonderful to go back to outings and visits. Sensitivity and empathy are rare these days. It is all about me, myself and I.

Anonymous said...

I am counting down the days when they will 'let my people go' out again. Be able to do what we want. It has been a year of reflecting and finding that there are other things around us that we can enjoy.
Welcome back.

MUMMYDUN said...

I am not popular but I am one of them. Thank God you don't know me, or else you will be kissing your teeth everything I appear on your screen....πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜….Happy Easter to you.

MUMMYDUN said...

Olatunde, thanks for popping this up. I hope you didn't finish all those cakes though? I love being by myself so lockdown is welcomed. I don't miss anyone cos I get on whatsapp to chat to friends and family and they seem closer than never when I make such calls. I have empathy for small businesses and entrepreneurs around. This is the period I appreciate being a civil servant, work or not, at the end of the last working day of the month, salary must drop.
Sous resting in peace, I guess it is more felt if one is connected to the departed, otherwise, life goes on. Who knows who is next, it is imminent and inevitable.