Friday 10 September 2021

EVERY PICTURE TELLS A STORY....

 

‘Imitation’ they say is the sincerest form of flattery. 


So at work since the pandemic we have gone somewhat virtual, holding meetings via Teams video conferencing and most of us have uploaded a profile picture of ourselves for those times when we ‘off the camera’ to put a face to the name. I for one though have not got round to uploading one.   


I do have a colleague though her name is Kirsti and in my honest opinion she has the most interesting office Teams profile picture. It’s the above photograph of her sitting on a bench in front of an iconic ‘Hammersmith underground’ sign. I chatted with her via Teams sometime ago, letting her know how cool I found her pic and that I would not be uploading a Display picture until I have one similar to hers. She replied ‘Go for it girl’. (I can’t believe that I’ve not seen Kirsti in person since March 2020, no thanks to covid)


So I’ve known for a while that I need to get this pic but have always wondered how I would go about this as I don’t go to London often, furthermore the photograph would need to be taken by a 3rd party as a selfie ‘kolewerk’. 

I have been waiting patiently for the opportunity to present itself and it did  when Ahmed, my brother gifted me tickets to Burna Boy’s concert at London’s O2 last Friday. 

Funlola & Moi


As I set out with my daughter on the day I subtly hinted her that once the train arrives in London that I would like to take a pic in front of a London Underground station sign! She widens her eyes and asks ‘You want to do what mum?’ And with a straight face as our train approaches Kings Cross, I tell her about this pose I have to get. And she asks me how I hope to achieve this, so I explain she will be taking the picture. Her face is taunt, but she agrees that she’ll help out. 

Take One๐Ÿ“ธ


The first underground station we alight is London Bridge, and as we walk toward the sign I notice that there is no sitting area in front of it, which means standing besides it (not quite the image I had in mind). My daughter quickly whips out her phone and takes the photo before I have time to ‘arrange’ myself. I can tell she is embarrassed as the station is heaving, it’s peak period. I meekly ask to see the pic she has taken and notice that it’s rather dark so ask her to snap again this time using the flash. She tells me ‘Mum you’re not supposed to be taking photos of London underground and certainly not with a flash’ but I insist and before I can pull in my stomach she has taken a 2nd shot and walks off, not even given me time to ask to have a look this time. 


We continue our journey and connect to the Jubilee Line as we head towards North Greenwich. As tube pulls up at Canary Wharf underground I notice through the window that the station sign has a seat in front of it, so I tell my daughter I want to get off at this stop to take the pic sitting this time.....if only looks could.... She asks ‘Mum, you seriously want to get off the train to take ANOTHER pic?’ I sheepishly reply ‘yes’ and get up making my way out of the carriage and she is forced to get off with me as well, but can you guess why? 

Well I am the legit owner of the ‘Oluwa’ Burna boy tickets, so basically this is a case of ‘She who pays the piper....no entry to O2 to watch him without yours truly, Mummy dearest!๐Ÿ˜Ž

If the shoe was on the other foot, there is no way she would have agreed to get off the train to oblige me a second time. The second pose at Canary Wharf doesn’t make the cut as my daughter rushes to take the pic while I’m still adjusting my top! She then sprints towards next tube pulling up at station to continue our journey and I’m rushing behind her to get on before the doors close. 

Funlola let me adjust....Take two๐Ÿ“ธ


The somewhat deafening silence between us lifts as we get down at North Greenwich tube station approaching O2 as Burna Boy beckons. The excitement! We even met up with Itunu of my ‘Let Them Eat Cake blog fame!

We have a fantastic evening! Burna boy has such stage presence. I hobble out of the O2 later that night with ankles and knees sore from all the ‘gbe bodi’ dancing and voice hoarse from the singing. 

Moi, Itunu & Funlola




Note to self: Aunty in future when going for a concert try listening to the artist latest album prior to the event otherwise you’ll spend most of the night ‘eating your mouth’ pretending to know the lyrics, but really only able to sing along to the 4 songs you know ‘Ye Ye Ye’, Jerusalema ‘Killin Dem’ and Angelina ‘On The Low’ as you’ll see in video clip below๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ˜ฉ



I shall not make the same mistake when I go to watch Wiz kid in November at The O2, his Made In Lagos album playing on loop ‘...you don’t need no other bodyyy๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽผ๐ŸŽง 

(Notice my smug, subtle, humble-brag folk?)๐Ÿ˜


Kirsti, thanks for the inspiration ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ’•

Have you ever mimicked or copied anyone’s vibe? Or has anyone copied you and how did you feel about it? Or do you view such copy-copy behaviour unoriginal?


Thank God it’s Friday, have a good weekend.  


Writing is a way of talking without being interrupted~ Jules Renard


๐Ÿ’…๐Ÿพ





20 comments:

Iya Ibeji said...

“Abroad children” are on a completely different level. Once they hop over the “I am 18 years old” fence, they will be dragging adulthood with you, without the bills of course!

Twin 1 and I bought McDonald’s the other day, he said don’t eat it yet, wait till we get home. I was starving but I obeyed, meekly!When we got home he explained that the reason he told me not to eat the meal in the car was because I always told him as a child to wait before he ate party packs and McDonald’s, wait till you get home!

The tide turns very quickly. The ‘because I said so” OR “because I am your mother” has it’s statute of limitations.

My next problem now is how I will drag my son, twin 2 to take ‘foto’ of me besides iconic Brixton underground station๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Ronkus Sobans said...

Lovely piece! Very humorous! Made me miss UK. Our metro stations are not that pretty to elicit the desire for a pic there. Truly miss London and miss you. Hopefully soon, we get to see soon when the world truly opens up and can travel freely without fear of spending vacation time in quarantine. It is a promise, you and I in front of the underground sign snapping away. We will retire Funlola as the photographer!!๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿฅฐ

Kirsti✨ said...

Risi Gurllll, I love this!
Really happy to see Risibyname is still firing out the blogs. You get this x ๐Ÿ˜ x
Great piece & I am so happy to be part of it. Thank you.

I can’t say that I have followed any one thing in particular during my 50 years but I do believe that nothing you wear is more important than your smile. I honestly think that the energy you put out into the universe will dictate & shape the world around you. Sounds a little cheesy I know but there it is. Simply be a good soul. Be yourself. Be thoughtful to others & be kind.
Funlola did you proud x ❤️ x Love & miss you. Stay safe xxx

IseOluwa said...

I love this.

You sure enjoyed yourself and nothing is more important than making yourself happy moreso you hurt no one in the process.

I love all the pictures. They are you!

Stella said...

Hilarious as usual. You sure know how to henjoi yasef! I love the pics though but no fan of Burna.

Itunu aka Sisi Clara said...

I don't remember giving consent to use my picture. Funlola, please read your mum her rights!! ����
I actually like the picture where you're adjusting your top.
"Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery......" Oscar Wilde

Itunu aka Sisi Clara said...

:-)

MCM said...

@Itunu( aka Sisi clara) that pic of yours is the look we have been looking for. I'll get my advertising agency to contact you early next week.

Lolee said...

I like to think I was a bit more patient than that!๐Ÿ˜…

In any event we had a great time and all of my friends were jealous of me and my 'fun mum' enjoying Burna at the O2๐Ÿ˜‚

Wizkid, here we come๐Ÿคช

Risi By Name said...

@Lolee
And the biggest joke is on me as the Wizkid tickets are on you girls, so you’ll be calling ALL the shots.
Seun will be reigning supreme with tickets in her hand. And I’ll be asking how high do you want me to jump๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Helen C said...

Love it! Now to make the change in teams… ๐Ÿ‘€

Itunu aka Sisi Clara said...

Screams: excitedly like a millennial!!!!

Bibi(another is counterfeit ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿพ‍♀️) said...

Lovely piece. “It’s not where you take things from—it’s where you take them to.”
— Jean-Luc Godard
You have done that very well with your picture, I am sure Kristi will be flattered.

Dela said...

Just looked at my team's photo. I have to up my game for Monday's team meeting. Will definitely be traveling up and down the London underground this weekend!

Risi By Name said...

@iya Ibeji
Best of luck with that one, all the way on Victoria line to Brixton? I can just imagine the rushed cropped shot with these impatient kids. People will asking you on which underground line is ‘xton’ station๐Ÿ˜ฉ

@Ronkus
Miss you too, one day-one day we will take that photo.

@Kirsti
Always sprinkling gold dust wherever you go. Wish I’d remembered to wear a hat like you did though and the natural lighting in your pic also took it to another level.

@IseOluwa
Who art thee?
Thanks we had a great time and yes no one got hurt๐Ÿ˜‚

@Stella
‘No fan of Burna’???
Sorry we can’t be friends ๐Ÿฅบ

@Itunu aka Sisi Clara
Consent ko consent ni... when we blow now, @MCM already scouting ๐Ÿ‘€

@Helen C
Teams DP loading on Monday morn with your assistance ‘Helen where do I click now’๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿพ‍♀️

@Bibi (another is counterfeit)
It’s the quote for me thought I knew them all.

@Dela
How long is a piece of string? So many stations to choose from. I can see a Tube station photograph challenge coming on.

Beatrice said...

I laughed so hard and I read it to my husband who joined in in enjoying the latest blog. He asked me to tell you to please go ahead and write a novel. You have a flare for writing.

There is no way my daughter would have agreed to do what Funlola did. Kudos to Funlola!!!

Esther Akingbade-olatunji said...

Excellent write up as usual Ola. I do copy people at times if what I see is also my preference. Bless Funlola for obliging. Anisa would have also taken the pics without waiting for me to approve. Anisa was also at Burna boys and will be attending wizkid too in November. She might see aunty Ola there ๐Ÿ˜ Enjoyment galore๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ. I have a pic on my teams profile too. You know me.,. Proper posing๐Ÿคฃ. I like the one of you caught unaware... so natural. Love your beautiful thick hair as usual. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

Tola Gbogboade said...

I giggled and laughed throughout as I read this. My girls would have taken the picture amidst all kind of abuses, sighing and rolling of eyes, saying, Mummy, what is wrong with you? Why are you like this?
They actually make me feel as if I am the child,but I always refuse to care.
Anyway, thank you Funlola, for such lovely pictures.

Anonymous said...

These kids don’t know what they’re missing! Imagine, if only they knew all the wait & get poses we took on Bar beach๐Ÿ !
It’s great your kids accompany you to concerts, how cool is that!
Oldest daughter’s excited about the next same concerts, I’m still waiting for an invitation… I think she’s scared I’ll jump on stage or something . I still can’t understand why she gets irritated when I ask if she managed to get autographs or selfies with the artist.

Fatai said...

Hadja Risikat this na adult-child abuse o. Chei, because you wan give her meat, you want her to call Malu(cow) Uncle. The pictures look cool though, so she deserves the ticket for the gig. Hope you both had fun.